Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Night flying question

If one wanted to avoid glowire, would the following work?

night blades painted white
white canopy
white tail blades
white paddles
Then the idea would be to paint all of these items with glow in the dark paint.

Assuming this would work and be visible enough, the only drawback would be not having different colors like with glowire to differentiate between the various sections of the heli.

Has anyone tried this or have an opinion about why this would or would not work?

If it would work I guess you could also paint the boom white then coat it with the glow in the dark paint and get that to be visible as well.
xJAEx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

it might work but why not just get some glow wire as it is very cheap....
MICHAEL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not a $$$ issue, just an idea that popped in my head...
Old 01-25-2007, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Try it........
MICHAEL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

What would be cool is if one of the LEDs in the blades were Blacklights. Then your glow in the dark paint would explode!

I don't know if it's even possible to make an led sized blacklight, but we'll need to get someone on it.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't remember where I saw it but there was someone that painted a clear canopy using Fluorescent paint and then had several UV LED's inside to light it up.
It really looked like it would be visible.

Yes there are UV LED's, the first white LED's were UV LED's with white phosphorus material in the lens. They may not be pure UV because there is some visible light there that looks dark blue but they do light up the fluorescent paint.

I don't think that the Glow in the dark paint is bright enough to be easily seen at a distance, especially on the blades. But then there may be better paints out now that are brighter.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I can tell you that unless your flying in a well lite parking lot, the painting stuff white etc wont work! Trust me I learned that the hard way..... IF it is drak that means there is no light to really reflect of white or any color for that matter.

HOWEVER...... I did night fly once wearing night vision goggles... Worked OK but you dont want to get too far away from yourself as for some reason depth perception was wierd with those. Kinda like looking through a tunnel at the heli.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

As flyin fool points out, the question is whether or not the glow in the dark paint is visible enough to be seen clearly. I don't have any extra canopies but i'll try and paint "something" with the glow in the dark paint to see if its worth using. The little can is $6 at home depot so no big loss if it doesn't work.

I didn't initially specify why the need for white items, but the reason is that the can of paint at the store indicated it only works when you paint a white surface. Therefore using it on an alu or CF boom would be ineffective (unless you paint them white I guess). The paint is supposed to "charge" when in the light and then glows in darkness (like the stars you put in kids rooms that light up). This being the case, it would seem that the darker the flying location the better you "should" be able to see the heli.

I'll report back when I try the paint out...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in