Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > X400 and MX400

X400 and MX400 Ark X400 and HeliMax MX400 Helicopters Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default The smooth tailed heli

I had my gyro fall off the other day at the flying field. Luckily, I noticed it was loose and was quickly landing when it fell off.

I mounted it back with the only double-sided sticky foam tape I had.

Amongst other problems I has having, the tail was acting very strange. It would tick around clockwise. I would move it back and, it would tick around again. I wondered if vibration was the problem. I stacked up 2 pieces of foam tape and tested it. It was better but, not completely smooth. This started me wondering how much vibration was affecting the gyro.

I build up a very good vibration isolation mount like this: 1 layer of dense double-sided sticky tape. 1 layer of a very thin, low density foam which is used to put between layers of glass for shipping. Another layer of sticky tape. Another layer of low density foam and, a last layer of sticky tape. See the photos below.

This mount really smoothed out my tail. No more strange twitching or, oscillations. In fact, I was able to turn down the gyro gain to 25. This made my piro rate so fast it scared me. I turned it back up to 40 until I get used to the much faster tail.

Now the problem. With the gyro on this new mount, it was up much higher. I felt it was too close to the flybar paddles. To solve that, I moved the gyro mount plate closer to the main mast. This moved it away from the paddles and, got it closer to the center of rotation. Again, see the photos.

The mod was pretty easy. I used a high-speed hobby tool with a cutting wheel to level the top of the carbon upper frame under the gyro shelf and, drilled 2 new holes for the front tabs of the aluminum gyro shelf. See the attached photos.

jrohland

jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would bust out a zip tie!!! That is a ASSLOAD of tape. I have had everything from T-Rexes to gassers and NEVER found a need to use THAT amount of tape.

You need to find the cause of the vibration. It is an electric helicopter for petes sake you should have NO vibrations.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
trashmanf

I think it's a pretyt cool idea, you could have also used this foam mount on the bottom of the boom. a ziptie might be a great idea
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with the Debiandog lose the layers of tape and use a zip tie.
by leveling the the frame and moving the gyro closer to the CG
was most likely the best fix.
wacojoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Put it inside the frame. Gyros on the tail get trashed. I got mine in the frame just under the tail drive system and got 88% gain and one solid tail.
Don"t make me list 'm all !
Raven_darkcloud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in