Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default pirouette

I have a general question if someone doesn't mind chiming in.
I’ve flown quite a few heli’s even though I a beginner. I notice some will pirouette pretty cleanly some will do more of a toilet bowl spin and some completely go off axis and be almost out of control. I’ve seen videos of heli’s doing perfect precise pirouettes as if there was an actual axis component centering the spins. Is this simply a matter of how level your swashplate is set up?
ticojon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The way your helicopter is set definitively helps, but if you are using collective pitch helicopter, sooner or later it won't stay true during pirouettes. So, what you have seen are piloting skills - and people did those pirouettes to show off their skills - not their helicopter setup.

To be able to constantly pirouette cp helicopter for the duration of the battery one needs to know how to constantly correct it - no matter where the helicopter's nose points. Because of that feature, slow pirouettes (as in at least 5-6 seconds a revolution) are perfect orientation and general rc helicopter control practice. Many here that claim that they are really good would struggle doing slow, very controlled, continuous pirouettes - in both direction! (me included).

So, if you master how to control helicopter while it is slowly pirouetting you will be able to correct it at any orientation. That, usually, leads to less crashes due to brain freezes. If you are to progress with general rc heli skills it is really good idea to start practicing them. Now.
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default thanks

Awesome info. That makes sense because usually the cleanest ones I've seen are fast. I had a Blade 120SR that did the sloppiest pirouettes I've ever seen. My Blade 450 3D does pretty clean pirouettes with minimal input. I have a Master CP that you can hover hands free at times but needs little more input to do stable pirouettes.
ticojon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also depends on if it's FBL or not. If it isn't, it's good mechanical setup, and very good pilot skill. The faster the piro however, the easier it is to keep solid.

If it is FBL, that depends on which unit it is (quality vs. crap) also how good the CG is set, and how good the programming is in the FBL. If you setup an FBL properly, and it's a quality unit, the heli shouldn't move around at all. However, if it's not programmed properly, it will have some crazy flight characteristics.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put in wind and gust in the simulation and use a Heading hold non rate FB heli.

Learning Piros that way gives you a lot of feeling for the minor corrections you need later to keep the heli on a point, move it along a line or a circle or figure 8 while pirouetting.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in