Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Flight Controllers (NAZA, Wookong, A2, etc...) > DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM)

DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM) DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default How to Brick an A2 MC

Connect to the WKM Assistant and load WooKong firmware. Don't ask how I know...
ErichF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Is there any support going to be able to help you with that? Or is it bricked for sure?
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh crap.... I assume you tried hooking it up to the A2 assistant and download? Tried the reset?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Is there any support going to be able to help you with that? Or is it bricked for sure?
The FC can be reset by connecting the signal leads of F1 and F2 then power cycling the controller. He should be able to load the A2 firmware after that.
AMA #844172 DJI S1000 Lightbridge Zen for 5D, S900 LB Zen for BMPCC, DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, P2Z2 with Data Link, P2Z3 with LB DJI Forum Support
Tahoe Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I'm going to attempt the reset as Ed suggested. I did get a response back from DJI North America within 24 hours, but the email referred me to a phone number to call a live tech. I haven't done that yet, as I am going to try the reset first.

Fingers crossed...
Old 04-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did it work?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't know yet. I've been out training guys to fly all week. Will play with it on Monday and see if it works.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So far just jumping F1 and F2 signals is not working.

Still can't connect to assistant, either.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I posted my story about nearly bricking my Phantom 2 Vision in another thread a couple of weeks ago. Maybe what I did will help you. I tried the jumper F1/F2 thing as well, but it didn't work for me either. Long story short, here are the steps I followed:

1. Start Assistant, and click "Skip..." on the title screen since it won't find the flight controller.
2. Go to the screen in Assistant where it would normally identify the controller by ID, check the version, and check online for updates. That screen won't be very interesting without a controller connected, but that's OK.
3. Power up the controller, and then after it's on and working, connect the USB cable from the controller to the PC. I found that if the USB cable was connected before powering up the controller, Windows would sometimes complain about the driver and the whole thing would fail miserably. So it was important to wait for the controller to be ready before connecting it to the PC.

At that point, Assitant realized that a controller was out there but didn't recognize the firmware so it immedately went into update mode and wanted to download and apply the current version as an update.

I had to tinker with it a few times to get it to work. It didn't work magically the first time. When Assistant failed to apply the upgrade or see the controller, I left Assistant on that screen, turned off the quad, unplugged the USB cable, and repeated step 3. After two or three tries I finally got all the way through the upgrade process and got my flight controller working again.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will give that a shot. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, so here's the fix.

Thanks to a timely firmware update on both the A2 and Assistant, I was able to get a USB connection. I updated the Assistant, which found the A2 on the USB. Here's where it got interesting. I updated the A2 to the newest firmware. Reset all the parameters and calibrated the transmitter. Took it out, and it tried to pin me against a wall of our building! For some reason the cyclic controls were 90 degrees out of phase. So, I took it back inside, reloaded the firmware, and tried another flight, same thing. UUGH...

The next day, I restarted the older version of the A2 Assistant, and loaded the previous version of firmware. Flight tested that, good to go! Then, updated the firmware to latest version, and thankfully flight test was good to go again.

What a ride, but it's all good again!
Old 05-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Woohoo!
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

It's good to know you can recover from those lockouts. Might be a good thing to compile these recovery techniques and sticky them for others to have handy.

Now that you're back in the air how about some vids from your baby.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd have to agree with you Seti. Any types of "BRICK" or "DOORSTOP" bailouts are key. I'll be honest and say I have not read much in the DJI MR forum, yet, but this may help to connect up my TX/RX/MC issue I'm having.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just for info and for the benefit of anyone Google searching this problem....linking F1 and F2 pins did the trick for me on my A2......

Thanks
Ken
kenny.c is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It does for most folks. Not sure why ErichF had an issue but he is a competent user so I have no reason to think that he did not follow the proper procedure.
AMA #844172 DJI S1000 Lightbridge Zen for 5D, S900 LB Zen for BMPCC, DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, P2Z2 with Data Link, P2Z3 with LB DJI Forum Support
Tahoe Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't get me wrong....I'm not doubting anyone's ability....just letting people know it can work on the A2

Ken
Old 07-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My issue was more complicated than just needing a reset. The reset only worked AFTER the new firmware and assistant software came out. Actually, the reset MAY have actually worked the first time, but for whatever reason the older Assistant SW didn't detect the MC connection. In any case, I don't intend to ever duplicate that again
Old 07-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I follow you...

I actually opened the Wookong assistant by mistake and managed to flash Wookong firmware on my A2.....My computer then didn't even see the A2 as a USB device never mind actually connecting to it....

Anyway...thank god it worked.....Wookong assistant now deleted from my computer...LOL

Ken
Old 10-21-2014, 02:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichF View Post
My issue was more complicated than just needing a reset. The reset only worked AFTER the new firmware and assistant software came out. Actually, the reset MAY have actually worked the first time, but for whatever reason the older Assistant SW didn't detect the MC connection. In any case, I don't intend to ever duplicate that again
Did anyone in this thread have issues with the USB not connecting once the firmware was re-uploaded? If I hook up the battery first it hooks up no problems but if I put the usb in without the battery A2 Assist won't read it at all. Or is that normal?

Does anyone have any more specific instructions on rolling back the firmware? I have tried downloading a2 assist 1 and 1.1 and they won't let me re-download the older firmwares to go on.
mfwar1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in