Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Ufly

Ufly Walkera Ufly Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #141 (permalink)

New mod to try:I used the ball joint off of the guide ring and installed them on my servo arms with black screws that came with the Ufly spare screw assortment.For the aileron linkage used a cb 180 servo link.For the elevator link I had to make a custom fit link,cut one end off , heated up rod with a lighter and pushed on plastic link.Then I wiggled it back out ,put super glue on rod and pressed back on.You need to be close on your measment because you only have one side of adjustment!The Benefit:Way less slop translates into better gyro function,hovers like a dream, wind handling ability is even better ,can turn up servo extent without any negative reaction ,you can have wild to mild all in one.When flying into wind of 10 to 15 mph , my uflys would fly jerky into the wind and now it cuts smoothly through the air making the wind less noticeable!One more unrelated itemalmost unbreakable ufly landing skid )take your old tail driveshaft and insert into landing skid,best to do on a new set,also can be used to join broken skid!I also made a main shaft out of the carbon fiber tail shaft and put a 370d01 head on it and it spins up real smooth .I'm just a little worried about flying with it!
Aloha from Kauai
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #142 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you post some pictures so we can see exactly what your talking about?
tkerins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #143 (permalink)
Registered Users

great idea on using ball links to replace the sloppy Z bends...thanks for sharing i will probably perform this mod myself in the near future....

if you are looking for a good alternative for main shafts go here and get some of these, they are cheap and you can make several shafts out of them by cutting to the length you need...other pilots use them to make 450 size shafts and say they work perfect and have a better fit to the swash then the stock shafts...

http://www.plastixs.com/ep07.html

Last edited by magicmarty; 05-03-2011 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: comment ...
magicmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #144 (permalink)

Those shafts are nice , but would require some special drill bits and tools!The carbon if it works should flex rather then bend, but I suspect it might just explode!The ball joints on both ends of the servo take away alot of slop in the whole assembly and makes it fly way more precise and keeps the gyros happy!I was flying after this mod in wind of 15 to 20 mph and it handles very well, I'd like to see the Ben - hiller mod fly in the same wind speed for a comparison.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #145 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perhaps your links have a lot more wear than mine. I don't have any slop on my servo links. I don't see the benefit for me.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #146 (permalink)

I fly in wind most of the time so my wear rate on those servo arms is rather high.With the ball joints it remains consistent with no play,you may not have play on your z link yet but it will wear and get sloppy over time so you might want to keep it in mind for the future!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #147 (permalink)
Registered Users

some Z bends not only have vertical play but also have horizontal (side to side) play which will translate into excess play in the linkage going to the swash plate....if yours are nice and tight one way , check the other direction to see if they are tight...if so then your probably fine but after many flights they will develop wear and play in them...perhaps you could wait till they wear out before doing the mod....
Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #148 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is a link where they talk about making tight Z-bends and an alternative L-bend with retainer. (with pictures)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769933
Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #149 (permalink)

I looked at that thread,I think that flybarless puts alot more load on the linkages , also any play makes the gyro misbehave!The ufly swash also isn't very tight so I've been looking for a 3mm 90 degree swash that is more robust and less play, anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #150 (permalink)
Registered Users

don't know if Align makes any 90's in swash plates but they are supposed to be the top notch in quality made parts....
Old 05-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #151 (permalink)

The xtreme swash for the esky cp heli looks like a possibilty , not sure of the shaft size ,but it is the 90 degree arrangement!Looks thicker and more robust, maybe someone has the measurements ,shaft size,diameter of swash(so we know if it will fit in between our antirotation bar)?
Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #152 (permalink)
Registered Users

They have a couple 90 CNC swashplates here;

http://www.guru-z.com/catalog/parts....xt&series=neon
Old 05-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #153 (permalink)
Registered Users

those look really nice but they have a minimum order of 10 ....

i'll do some checking on other forums to see if i can find the shaft size for the esky...
Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #154 (permalink)

They look like they would work but that minimum of ten would be a problem ,also not sure of the quality.Thanks for the link!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #155 (permalink)
Registered Users

xtreme makes a cnc metal swash for the esky honey bee which i think uses the same size shaft as the uflys ...but need to do further checking and gather more info...

http://www.xtreme-production.com/xtr...mart&Itemid=31
Old 05-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #156 (permalink)

That's the one I was thinking of !It has one extra servo ball but that's not a problem, it looks robust, just need to know if it will fit in between antirotation bar and confirm shaft size.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #157 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GuruZ 3mm 90 CNC swashplate

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't know you wanted me to do all the legwork.

That site was just for reference. Heli-fever sells them one at a time for $19.88.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #158 (permalink)
Registered Users

the Honey Bee uses a 3 mm main shaft but the anti rotation slot on the back side of the main could be modded to work i would think...
Old 05-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #159 (permalink)
Registered Users

hard part to find in the usa i found it at one place ...Helidirect has them..

http://helidirect.com/xtreme-metal-s...1v2-p-7520.hdx
Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #160 (permalink)

That xtreme swash looks pretty good!I ordered some ceramic bearings from Helirus on ebay for the main shaft,so i'll give a report if there's a noticeable difference!My original ones had alot of play, probably from crashing!

Last edited by Stevemech; 05-03-2011 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Wrong vender

Tags
370d01, flybarless, uflys, walkera

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in