Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can the GPS collective bump happen in the air?

When the skookum is ready to fly it gives a collective bump. The GPS makes this process take several seconds longer while it locks onto the sat signals. When the LED on the SK720 turns green after power up in the pits I usually pick the heli up and start taking it to the flying area. Shortly after I pick it up I'll feel the collective bump as the LED turns blue. If I ever forget to check for the bump or miss the color of the LED light before the heli takes off is there a possibility the collective can give a bump in the air?
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2k View Post
When the skookum is ready to fly it gives a collective bump. The GPS makes this process take several seconds longer while it locks onto the sat signals. When the LED on the SK720 turns green after power up in the pits I usually pick the heli up and start taking it to the flying area. Shortly after I pick it up I'll feel the collective bump as the LED turns blue. If I ever forget to check for the bump or miss the color of the LED light before the heli takes off is there a possibility the collective can give a bump in the air?
There was a report of this happening right after the GPS release. Someone was hovering in their basement, the GPS managed to get a lock after being in the air, and his heli did a surprise pitch pump on him, almost causing a crash.

I seem to remember Art or someone chiming in and saying something about correcting this behavior so this can't happen once airborne, so I assumed this was taken care of in the 1.05 GPS firmware we have now, but who knows

It would be easy enough to test out in a controlled hover. especially on the first power up where GPS lock takes some time.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I almost always take off before the light goes blue and the GPS bump happens; mostly because I'm just impatient.

It's never affected flight at all; ever. i suspect it's too fast to be noticeable, or Art did indeed remove it.
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can the GPS collective bump happen in the air?

Hi.

If you take off too early the barometers are not calibrated correctly. So the GPS height control could malfunction which will set then.
augur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The answer to it bumping in flight is yes, it can do it. I tested it with the blades of and the bump happened at full RPM.

I won't have to worry about it for a while though. I ejected my GPS module through the tail blades while doing a blur piro today.

Helicopter survived. GPS is long gone.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2k View Post
The answer to it bumping in flight is yes, it can do it. I tested it with the blades of and the bump happened at full RPM.

I won't have to worry about it for a while though. I ejected my GPS module through the tail blades while doing a blur piro today.

Helicopter survived. GPS is long gone.
Was it still sitting on the ground though? The unit has an air and ground mode, so I wonder if it would still do it airborne?

Wow, that was one expensive piro to kill your GPS! At lest they are 10% off this weekend during some of the Holiday sales, assuming you can find them in stock anywhere.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yup, I thought I stripped a tail gear because I heard a bang during the blur piro. I stopped the piro and put it in TH and auto'd down.

It was pretty far away and I landed in a mud hole, but there was no damage other than the frayed end of the GPS cable. The double sided tape gave. It was strong enough to hold the helicopter up with so I can only imagine the g forces involved. I can see why it's called a blur piro.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yup, this happened to me once, and I stripped a set of tail gears with a hard landing. Never again...now I wait patiently for that blue light.....

180 CFX, Nano Cpx, Mcpx v2, Mcpx BL, 300X W/ Savox Servos and Don's Wicked, Trex 450L Dominator W/Skookum 720BE and GPS, DX9, (Retired Schluter Scout 60 and Junior 50)
whatevva is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Happened to me once and it is definitely noticeable. I nearly crapped my pants as I was on a low pass when it happened. No damage just butt cheek clinching time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in