Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > DJI Heli Autopilot System(Naza-H/WooKong-H/Ace One)

DJI Heli Autopilot System(Naza-H/WooKong-H/Ace One) DJI Heli Autopilot System(Naza-H/WooKong-H/Ace One) Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I know. As i had my blades off, i didn't have to clean up the workbench . This was more a warning for those who are acting a little bit less carefully than I usually do.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD
Altix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I always unplug my motor.
AMA #844172 DJI S1000 Lightbridge Zen for 5D, S900 LB Zen for BMPCC, DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, P2Z2 with Data Link, P2Z3 with LB DJI Forum Support
Tahoe Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I always unplug my motor.
Every time you connect it to a PC? When tuning the gains and other settings initially I expect to be connecting the PC every flight. The Skookum is setup to disable the ESC output what connected to a PC, but the Vbar is not. the big difference between the NAZA and Vbar is that that Throttle hold can be overridden with the NAZA (it seems) but not with the Vbar.

BTW: a new version of the firmware has just been released.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not every time, just during the initial set up. However, I may take my blades off for subsequent gain adjustments. Better safe than sliced by 550 blades.
AMA #844172 DJI S1000 Lightbridge Zen for 5D, S900 LB Zen for BMPCC, DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, P2Z2 with Data Link, P2Z3 with LB DJI Forum Support
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
I can see where these could be a serious issue no doubt..
But can easily be remedied by having your electronics powered up separately from your motor/ESC.

Most caution and warnings state that you should either unplug or back off your motor when working on the electronics when powered up.
This.

This is why I strongly recommend everybody using our system to provide a separate power supply for the Flight Controller. I can power up the FC, then the servos, and then the motor power in stages depending on what I'm doing.

The motor is never "live" until I set the aircraft down on the runway, plug in the main battery pack. This is the best way to be safe.

Still, the way DJI currently have the firmware setup, that's just unacceptable.

Does the Naza-H not have an "arming proceedure"? Soon as you are plugged in and "hot", if you flick a switch accidentally, it will just take off?

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
Does the Naza-H not have an "arming proceedure"? Soon as you are plugged in and "hot", if you flick a switch accidentally, it will just take off?
Naza-H would only start the motor if you are in Manual mode and move the throttle stick like a normal flight control does. It won't engage GPS or AH mode when the motor is not running.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think that DJI needs reminding that these are powerfull helicopers not multicopers and can do a lot of damage.
Some of what I am reading here seems to be the same as I read about the Naza M when it was first released and it resulted in several guys getting injured. I saw none of these problems when I purchased mine at a later date so I assume DJI fixed the problems but some of them seem to have returned with the Naza H ?.
I have my Naza M set to immediate cut off so the motors stop if I zero the throttle, can the Naza H be set like this ?.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's the way the H works - it doesn't have a start/stop sequence.

Zero throttle = motor stopped...

The catch appears to be that it's only true in manual mode. In GPS Atti and Atti modes it locks the throttle at the value it was when you initiated it. Dropping it to zero will not stop the motor unless you also flick back to manual.
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
I think what he's missing is that he needs to go into the travel adjust to move the position of the switch into the fail safe zone.

Then do the bind procedure as described, and afterwards return travel adjust to whatever is required to activate the 3 normal modes correctly

Just to explain why it works this way - it means you can select your three modes (GPS-Atti/Atti/manual) as normal and cannot reach the failsafe position during normal operation.

When you lose signal, it'll default to the position you set at binding regardless of the current travel limit settings or switch position, thus entering the failsafe mode.
Correct! After a few tries, I finally got the Fail-Safe mode to finally be recognized in the Naza-H setup. I used the following parameters:

For "normal" GPS / Altitude / Manual, I set the Gov (Aux 2) to 83 / 0 / -83.
For "fail-safe" I set the Gov (Aux 2) to 100 / 40 / -40

Hope this helps any future DX8 / AR8000 Users...

Many thanks for your help guys! Now on to the fine tuning...
NexxuSix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tonight I finally got the fine tuning completed, and hopefully (weather permitting) , I will be doing a calibration / test flight tomorrow...

One thing I noticed that while in manual mode the swashplate was very level, but I also noticed while in GPS or Alti mode the swashplate seemed to lean a little. I have not done the outdoors calibration for the compass yet.

Can anyone verify if this is "normal" for the swashplate to lean or drift a little? I would hate to find out the hard way while attempting to do a GPS hover that this wasnt right because I overlooked something, or that something isn't dialed in properly... Any suggestions / comments appreciated
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
I think that DJI needs reminding that these are powerfull helicopers not multicopers and can do a lot of damage.
Some of what I am reading here seems to be the same as I read about the Naza M when it was first released and it resulted in several guys getting injured. I saw none of these problems when I purchased mine at a later date so I assume DJI fixed the problems but some of them seem to have returned with the Naza H ?.
I have my Naza M set to immediate cut off so the motors stop if I zero the throttle, can the Naza H be set like this ?.
DJI has built a high end flight controller for a number of years. It is probably used in more A/P helis of all types than any other controller. That is the Ace One. Check out the prices. This is not for the masses. The WKH at $1250 is also a high end scale controller. The Naza H is a sport/hobby controller. Can it be better, yes. I thought the same thing about the Align 3G, the HC Rigid, the SK720 along with numerous multi rotor controllers. The first software update is now up. It addresses the issue with some escs. There will be more.

It kind of pisses me off when everyone shouts out their opinion of how the software should be developed. The first versions of the WKM allowed you to set up in Heli mode on the Tx. The throttle hold worked. Shut the motors off incase of a crash. But people wanted to have the CSC and were appalled that the motors could start without stick movements. MR guys that had never flown a heli and didn't know what a TH was or how it worked. By By TH hello CSC. Be careful what you ask for. You might get it. I don't want my heli to be my single rotor multi rotor. They are different worlds. Let's keep it that way. I agree that I want TH to work in all modes; Manual, ATTI, ATTI/GPS, Normal, ST1 and ST2. That is the way a heli works in my opinion. Off my soapbox.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexxuSix View Post
Can anyone verify if this is "normal" for the swashplate to lean or drift a little?
Just tested mine and it does exactly what you've seen when it's sitting on the bench and motor not running. When it's actually flying, it doesn't do that. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you got the last step of the wizard correct for all of those checks and you should be fine. [ame]http://youtu.be/K5WpSFHhSsM?t=53s[/ame]
Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley888 View Post
Just tested mine and it does exactly what you've seen when it's sitting on the bench and motor not running. When it's actually flying, it doesn't do that. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you got the last step of the wizard correct for all of those checks and you should be fine. http://youtu.be/K5WpSFHhSsM?t=53s
Thank you for taking the time to confirm what I was seeing. This takes a little worry off my mind for a first time flight test... Much appreciated!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I connected my Naza with FW V1.00 to the assistant software there was a note mentioning the new FW release. That note was a list with those items that changed compared to the latest FW before. Besides those three items we all know from DJI's release note, I got a forth point saying, that in manual mode and engine off the swashplate will fall slightly to the right. After updating the FW I could confirm this behaviour. So I guess that those of you, asking for the strange Behaviour of the swashplate already did the update to FW 1.02.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #175 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my Trex 700 E and for other big birds, there is a separate 7.4 V battery to run the electronics e.g. the servos, FBL controller . This way, if we unplug the motor battery wire, it should safe on the workbench to fiddle with the electronic components, I think.
kittiwat1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #176 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As long as your ESC remains disconnected there is no danger of it spooling up on the bench.
Powering up your electronics on a Rx battery is fine

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I connected my Naza with FW V1.00 to the assistant software there was a note mentioning the new FW release. That note was a list with those items that changed compared to the latest FW before. Besides those three items we all know from DJI's release note, I got a forth point saying, that in manual mode and engine off the swashplate will fall slightly to the right. After updating the FW I could confirm this behaviour. So I guess that those of you, asking for the strange Behaviour of the swashplate already did the update to FW 1.02.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #178 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
It kind of pisses me off when everyone shouts out their opinion of how the software should be developed. The first versions of the WKM allowed you to set up in Heli mode on the Tx. The throttle hold worked. Shut the motors off incase of a crash. But people wanted to have the CSC and were appalled that the motors could start without stick movements. MR guys that had never flown a heli and didn't know what a TH was or how it worked. By By TH hello CSC. Be careful what you ask for. You might get it. I don't want my heli to be my single rotor multi rotor. They are different worlds. Let's keep it that way. I agree that I want TH to work in all modes; Manual, ATTI, ATTI/GPS, Normal, ST1 and ST2. That is the way a heli works in my opinion. Off my soapbox.
Sorry, I don't agree. There are a few simple facts here:

First, the only reason that historically we have this "TH" feature on our Tx, and that that is the only way of controlling the motor is simply because in the past that was the only control method the technology of the time would allow us to have. Back in the day when we all flew nitro with simply a Tx and dumb Rx, this was fine. If you didn't start the motor, you were safe. And the simple fact of putting fuel in your tank did not mean that the helicopter was ready to "clean your workbench" (love that one!) with the simple accidental flip of a switch. We all knew that once you fired up that motor, the system was armed and dangerous.

However now that we are using electricity, and so many of us use the same pack to power the avionics as we use to power our motors, we are in this situation where any time you want to work on the avionics, you have a risk of "cleaning the workbench".

Now again, in the recent past, this was pretty much all that we could do with the technology. But now that we are talking about having microcontrollers, we can, and should do better.

One solution is simple. First, you should have to "Arm" the system. That means holding full down and right stick for 5 seconds. Then some lights blink, and you're armed. Then, and only then, will flicking the TH switch allow the motor to start. This is not much of an imposition, but offers much more safety.

I design and build machine controls professionally. A 600 helicopter is far FAR more dangerous than any machine I have ever worked on. I would never be allowed to design a machine control system which would allow a machine to start suddenly with the accidental flip of a switch while the operator is standing in a dangerous location. All of them require either a safety barrier to be closed, then push a button, or for two buttons to be pressed at once.

If we simply allow the TH switch to control the motor, it allows for a really scary situation, which HAS happened to people:

You program your Rx failsafe to put the unit in RTH mode (or whatever) with the TH switch high. You have your heli sitting on your bench, and accidentally turn off the Tx, or the Tx fails, or any one of a number of other systems failures that will put it into failsafe. The motor starts suddenly.

This is unacceptable.

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rob,

Point taken, however by your standard almost every heli flight controller that I know of is deficient not just DJI. Why not the outcry to every other manufacturer to make this safety change? If I but an Align today, it will not have the features you want. I have not seen it in multiple manufactures. It just seems to me that DJI has become the whipping boy. Like I said I am off the soapbox. I am not a developer for DJI just a user and the majority rules in the development of their software as I also stated before. There were features that I valued in the WKM that were eliminated. If everyone wants arming in Helis like Multis I don't care. I am sure that it is an easy implementation for DJI. I have already stated that I want the TH to work in all modes and all flight states. I like the Naza H and I think that it fits a unique price point and feature set for new pilots just getting into the sport.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's another point for DJI that has come up recently

Magnetic declination...

The general fix is to rotate the GPS/mag unit accordingly, but I'd like to see this in software. Just a field which you can fill in with the magentic declination of the area that you are flying in that day.

What I'd really like to see is declination taken care of automatically. Since the GPS always knows where you are, it is not hard to have it reference a database for declination values.... But you know, baby steps and all that.
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in