Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default YS 60SR leak from carburetor plate

I have been noticing a lot of fuel all over my heli. so I pressurized the engine and noticed a leak were the carb. mounts to the engine (bottom of the carb spacer plate) so I pulled the carb off and noticed there is no lower spacer plate gasket. so I looked in the manual and only the upper gasket was there. I ordred a bunch of parts from YS for the YS 60 and I got part number YS5370 gasket set that has a lower and upper gaskets for the carb. spacer. it has 50ST after the part number so it is also used on the YS 50. so I put both gaskets in the upper and lower and the leak is gone. is it ok to use this gasket even though it is not in the YS manual? also the carburetor throttle barrel is leaking out the side but there is no seal for it so I would think this is normal?
joecass2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Was this the engine you have 13 gals through?

Mine is running not bad, but pretty rich and rough. Transition from mid to high is great, and the high is very rich, and easily bogged. However, I am flying now with low headspeed to break-in the engine so I am trying not to over do it. I will maybe begin to increase RPM at the second gallon of fuel and tune for the higher speeds at that time. Trying to avoid leaning it yet.

I don't notice the leakage you mention. I my setup certainly is holding plenty of pressure without leaking.

In a former T-Rex 600N back in 2010, I ran 15 gals through a first edition OS55 HZ-R in the first season, no issues of any kind, tuning or otherwise. No DRS, since it wasn't out yet, and running a Fuel Magnet.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes this is the one.
I'm glad to hear that you got it back together and it is running OK.
I think as that get more miles on them that some are going to
Leak. You will know that it is leaking when you see the bottom of the hell getting really wet with fuel more than normal
Old 05-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I HAD it running great. Until today. I scored the piston and liner. It wasn't overly lean as best I could tell. I believe one of the wrist pin keepers fell out and went into the combustion chamber. It beat the pi$$ out of the head and top of the piston. Made a hairline crack in the top of the piston. The wrist pin was safely in position, but one of the keepers wasn't there. This would be the second repair since beginning the season. Been a tough one for me.

I polished out the bumps from the dome on the head so I could reuse the head. I'd not noticed a leak, but am tempted to install the gasket. The phenolic spacer shouldn't need a gasket, but may install one for safe measure.

I am really torn on this engine. When it's in tune, it makes tremendous power. Almost so much I am not sure it can take it for long. The piston is paper thin at the crown. Very susceptible to detonation damage. Last time out, I found a small shard of metal under the diaphragm. I think it might have been there as new. I never had any issues with the OS55's I flew. This one has been a constant battle to keep running for me. Maybe I am not sharp enough to keep it going.

I have the Redline new in packaging, with the O.S. 60L carb mode by Terry More which I am tempted to install. I wish it was the RL56, but so be it. Maybe I could install it and give it a try, and debate on rebuilding the YS. Just a single needle carb, so should be easier to tune. Also have the Redline pipe new as well, so I am really all set. I think I need a throttle arm to complete it.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

your having a ruff time with this engine. it's just a bad sequence of events. if you did not have to take it apart the fist time you would never had the clip fall out this time. I would give it a nother try. I don't think your going to find anything that makes as much power as the YS 60. you are definitely smart enuff to run this engine. I got just about 20 gallons on mine.

what kind of flight time are you getting? also were and how do you have your vbar sensor mounted?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Vbar sensor is right on the little space up front. I think I have a pic in the gallery.

LINK

I used the 3M Outdoor Permanent mounting tape. It's clear and soft. I think it needs some foam, though, and I have a package of Mikado Blueline tape to try. I've never had an in-flight issue that I know of, but see many vibration alerts in the Vbar event logger.

Was getting about 7-8 mins before leaning it out a bit. I back ordered the liner/piston kit and head. For now, running the TMoore modded RL53. Stuffed it in yesterday and hovered a tank out of it today. Was super easy with the O.S. 60H carb/intake adapter. Zero issues on the first go...well, that is, except for the fan hub coming loose and unthreading itself. Second time it's happened to me. I have the motor removal down to a quick routine, unfortunately.

I completely agree on the YS 60sr. It's been very tempermental on the needles all along in my case, though. But when it's happy, it makes tremendous power. Quicker than anything else I have. Way quicker cyclic response and the collective is incredible. I was running 13.5 degrees with the YS in it, and it was moving quite well. I completely dig how the air frame flies on Vbar. I think it's TT's dual rate head damping, as well as their super wide chord blades. I am going to give the YS one more try after a rebuild and see how it goes. If she dies again, then I move on. Then again, if the Redline and OS carb work out, maybe I won't have to bother with it for a while. I have a YS 91sr for my new-to-me T700N I'm building, and will learn some more about YS tuning on it.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm having some problems with vibration with the silver line sensor. When doing stationary flips the tail would start to kick. Making it hard to keep it in one spot. It's funny all other moves are good. I'm trying to find a good way to lower vibration. I also love the way my X50 flys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in