Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail Servo Mount Options

Gents,

What are the Pro's and Con's for mounting the tail servo on a Hurricane 550 in the frame mount or on the boom?

Both options available on this wonderful GAUI helicopter, just wondering why I don't see many frame mounted tail servos. It seems that the boom mount was an afterthought, but I'm not certain as to why.

Mark
dragonflyhkg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I boom mounted mine the day I built it. . . . . . . Just use to and easier to setup, adjust etc.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine is frame mounted in the HH frame. I'm a noob and probably don't know any better. I don't have issues yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
weav01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have frame mounted mine in a plastic frame. I did add a CF rod between the tail pitch slider and "front" of the tail boom, which eliminates all the wire guides on the stock setup. I have one "guide" that holds the bent wire to the boom, and the CF starts just back from that. This seems to work well for my sport flying.
blade_crasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have some of my rudder servos boom mounted and some frame mounted. It is nice to have both options in order to move some weight around to get the CoG right.

I run 6s 2650mah batteries in both of my short boomed 425's and in my mid boomed '500' On the 425's I have the rudder servos mounted on the boom, but with the weight of the longer boom on the '500' it was tail heavy with the same batteries, so to get the CoG right I mounted the servo in the frame which moved some weight forward.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned User

I like the boom mount. Its much easier to work on than mounting it inside the HeadHunter frame set. And the z bend control rods for the frame mount seem rigid enough, I never had an issue with sloppy tail control while using it.

I guess its up to your personal preference.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I mounted my servo on boom on my plastic medium boom (500mm)
I had some wag issues when the servo was in the frame. It appear to be better with boom mount and CF control rod but not yet perfect.
milliotseb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm. I have some wagging issues (very small) that I haven't been able to track down. Wonder if it's my frame mounted servo, z shaped long control arm? Where do u guys get your long CF control arms? I'll start there

weav01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by weav01 View Post
Hmmm. I have some wagging issues (very small) that I haven't been able to track down. Wonder if it's my frame mounted servo, z shaped long control arm? Where do u guys get your long CF control arms? I'll start there

I have the rudder servo mounted in the frame on my long boomed 550, and use the Z bend control arm with no issues. Your tail wag might be caused by something else.
You could start by disconnecting the rod at the servo and move the rod back and forth by hand. The tail should move very free and smooth with no binding. Any binding in the tail, no matter how minimal will cause tail wag. Of course, gain settings will also cause wag if set too high.

Different head speeds while using the same gyro gain can cause tail wag too. I have the gain settings tied to my flight mode switch and it is different for each flight mode.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in