Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pop... Smoke... I think my ESC is done.

While setting up my beastx this evening I realized when I got to step "I" that the aileron servo was working as the elevator servo on my tx (or so I thought). So when I would move my right stick to the right it would move my elevator servo down and my pitch servo up while the aileron stayed the same. When I moved the stick forward the aileron servo would move up while the elevator and pitch servos moved down. So from this I assumed that my wiring was not correct (now looking back I am not sure why considering I leveled the head in step G)...

So while I had the heli still powered on (again looking back I am not sure why)... I switched my elevator and aileron servo connections from the beastx to my ar6200 with sat. I must have grabbed the wrong servo cord (or something?!) because the next thing I knew I heard a pop from the front of the heli and saw smoke. At first I thought I fried one of my servos. But upon a sniff test it smells like I burnt out the ESC. I re-attached my wiring how it was originally and attempted to reconnect the battery and now nothing powers on. I still don't know exactly what I did wrong.

Does it sound like I burnt out the ESC to you guys? If so what was the stock ESC on a 500esp? This had been converted before I purchased it but the original owner used at ar7200bx which I wish I had done myself now...

My current plan is to purchase a new ESC and rewire everything myself to make damn sure that everything is wired right. I am just praying that the beastx, receiver, and servos weren't all toasted in the process...

Any guidance or just moral support in general would be appreciated.
spfdheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're not the first. Take comfort in that. And you won't be the last. Probably just reversed polarity somewhere. That will easily do it. Some controllers/FBL units don't have polarity protection so if you shoot power into the unit and have your servo lead reversed its a toaster.

Everytime I plug stuff in I check, double check and triple check i'm plugging it in correctly. You just can't be too cautious with expensive electronics. Fiddling through someone else's wiring can be hit or miss. At least now you can upgrade
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks DCflyer! It was one of those moments where you almost consider selling your whole fleet!! So much frustration!! I've calmed down after a beer hah. Now time to search for that upgrade. Any recommendations?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

What motor/servos are you running and do you like to run governed or ungoverned?
OXY rep
Old 12-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Everything on my heli currently stock. I haven't flown my 500 yet so I can't say that I have a preference for governed or ungoverned. I was considering just replacing with another stock esc for now.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The stock ESC on that bird was the Align BL-70g.

They catch a lot of flack around here, but I actually like the Align esc's. Their soft start is actually soft compared to some others.
rob78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 70A's Align's are $70-$80 I believe. If it were me, id spend the extra $10-$15 and pick up a Castle Edge 75. With that you get a great governor, programmable software, and datalogging capabilities which are invaluable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...p2054897.l4276
OXY rep
Old 01-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I figured out exactly what happened. I didn't realize that one of the receiver to gyro plugs for the microbeast had an exposed lead. Some of the plastic was apparently broken by the original owner (of the beastx). So my guess is that it either was touching two leads on the gyro, or it touched the opposite polarity while I attempted to plug it in which shorted out the esc? Just a hypothesis. I am going to pick up some new cables from my LHS just in case! And again, pray that my gyro and servos made it through ok. Luckily my motor was unplugged while I was setting up the beastx. I just want to get her in the air!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the Castle. Align esc's suck. Go with the castle and be much happier.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pop... Smoke... I think my ESC is done.

I lost an Align esc myself once (burned), but, since a lot of people upgrade, they can be found for as little as $25 on the forums.

I wouldn't pay retail for the Align ESC.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still debating which route to go. It's obvious that the Castle ESC is of better quality and will in the end, last longer. Though the price tag is considerably more than the Align ESCs I have been offered here. Considering the weather is still junk I may wait and save for the Castle. Buy once rather than buy twice. Though purchasing the Align ESC would get me in the air faster, decisions decisions.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used Align ESC's and hated them. I had two burn out on me on the 450. Why pay for something that is going to fail or be inadequate.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfdheli View Post
Still debating which route to go. It's obvious that the Castle ESC is of better quality and will in the end, last longer. Though the price tag is considerably more than the Align ESCs I have been offered here. Considering the weather is still junk I may wait and save for the Castle. Buy once rather than buy twice. Though purchasing the Align ESC would get me in the air faster, decisions decisions.

There's always the Hobbywing Platinum ESC's - very good performing high quality units with good governors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-Pl...item43bd72de62

And there's always the YEP ESC's which are clones of the German-made YGE's. Also with great governors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Hobbyking...item3a8668159b

All much better options than the Align.

The thing that makes the Castle worth the extra $20 bucks is that its American made, has programmable software (the others you have to program manually either with your Tx sticks via a complicated set of audible beeps or with a cheapy program card), and lastly its invaluable datalogging capability. Having full telemetry on how everything is performing after every flight is something i'm surprised other ESC manufactureres haven't caught onto yet.

Edit: I believe the HW does have programmable software
OXY rep
Old 01-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again for all the info DCflyer! It seems like each subforum (whether its Blade 400, MCPX, or any other) have their resident gurus and you are definitely one for the Trex 500! I will continue to do some research. I definitely see the advantages to the Edge ESC and also think it looks the best. Just deciding on funding.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just paying forward what i've learned from others. I'm far from an expert but I share what I know since I also went through the same decision when looking for an ESC for my 500.
OXY rep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in