Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I understand what you are saying it would seem to me that it matters how much current you expect to draw through the Powerbus. If expected draw exceeds the capacity of your balance connector wiring then that method won't work and you should be using the Western Robotics BEC(?). A related link is:

http://174.133.212.163/showthread.php?t=259116
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheers for that, im going to go with the Western Robotics BEC as i don't want to mess about with a rig this expensive.

Also, i wanted to loose the need for a 2s lipo powering the bus/servos and the xtra weight involved.

So to summerise,

Compass 6hv fbl running on 2 x 6s packs - external bec with internal not used

external bec powers the powerbus which then powers the servos direct and then the 720 unit itself.

Sounds easy hey
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Being relatively new to this I can't say that I'm the "heli set-up voice of experience" but from an engineering perspective what you said makes sense as long as the WR BEC/wiring can supply the necessary current. Have fun!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, i've found this 1 looks just the ticket, there is a superbec but thats $99 and has more functions than i need.

http://www.western-robotics.com/herc...-HV_plane.html
Old 01-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #125 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thats the unit! It's what I will be using on my 6HV.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats good to know then I have seen the CC bec pro now too, any thoughts?

I do like the look of the whole western robotics, they remind me of our own spartan somewhat. I like that
Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #127 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Have not used a Castle unit either. BUT.... some guys out here with the first versions had problems with the wires breaking off at the case due to vibration. After seeing the failures I know it was "user" created based on letting the wires flap around like a mad man. It could have been prevented in my honest opinion but, they could have strain relieved the wires better.

For me the WR BEC looks like the ticket for this heli anyway.

Bob
Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats just made my mind up then, what with all the cc bad press lately, and the fact that my ice 50's case fell apart out of the box

The western will look like it belongs with the spartan lipo guard too almost like there made in the same place

Thanks for your help, again
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #129 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Well don't get me wrong. Even though I have not personally used the CC BEC, the failures I have seen were due to complacent installations. It would be nice if CC beefed up the unit to be more user FU install friendly and all but I do not think it is a bad unit based on the design (yes I had one apart to fix broken off wires for a friend).
So I think the CC BEC is a good unit you just have to take some care with it. I for sure would be concerned about reliability on a Nitro heli though... I would mod the unit right off the bat to make sure no wires broke off inside the unit. Again however I think the design is totally capable of handling the AMP draw they claim.

Bob
Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,

The western robotics is ordered now! I would have probably gone with the CC one as its compatible with the castle link i already have, just don't want to take any risks with a bird this size and expense, so the thought of a wire coming loose doesn't instill much confidence in me.

This will be my first large heli and as such everything has to be done right first time.

BTW, you planning on soldering a balance lead to yours and plugging into 1 of the balance plugs or direct solder into esc?

Cheers..
Old 01-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #131 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

My last setup I made a double deans (soldered a male and female together end to end). This way I could power the BEC only off the main pack if I need to.

I think I show this setup in my Compass 600E videos on electronics placement.

Bob
Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice 1 Sounds like a plan
Old 01-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hi fin i could use some help badd mann

im haveing trouble figureing out this esc bec thing as far as gettin it all hooked up and bount. can u help? i have a dx6i and a ar6100e and i cant figure out how to do it but jas off here has tryed to explain. heres what hes got:

my post:
i am haveing some trouble settin up my trex 250....

i have a align 15a esc and castle compatible bec.. the wires from the esc are done right as this heli was purchased used with the red wire already took out of the equasion in the esc. and i have a ar6100e rx the ports on it are as follows from left to right....

batt
thro
ale
elev
rudd
gear
aux1

i am told i have to connect the pit servo to aux 1
i am unsure where esc and bec wires go??
ale elev rudd and gear are as follows i think

ale is the front servo on the left side of the heli lookin at it from the tail in position

elev is the rear servo

pit is the right front servo

rudd is the 3 wires from gyro

gear is one wire from servo.....although i dunno if it goes in the + or - positon (top or bottom)???

i also dunno witch way to plug the wires in?? i assume black is plus and white is minus am i correct??

also need help on bind process... do i need to have all the servos pluged in exept throttle or what?? i do have bind plug and have been told it goes on the batt slot am i correct and can anyone put up an easy process for all this it would be a vital post here in this thread..... thanks alot guys

his post:
You have most of that right except the RED wire is the power - it's in the middle. The black is usually negative and the white or orange is the signal. Now, here's the tricky part.

In order to bind the thing, you need to stick the bind plug on the battery port of the receiver, but that's where the BEC plug goes. So... what some of us do is, we take the single wire from the gain on the gyro, and we stick that wire into the open slot on the BEC plug, then stick that all in the GEAR channel. That way you're powering the RX and getting the gain signal on the same plug, and you have the BATT slot open for the bind plug! Brilliant

Now, during binding, you might want to unplug the motor wires, but not the ESC signal wire into the RX.

end of post:

my only problem with that is i dunno how to take the wire out of the plug and i also dont have an open port on my bec... its on the esc and i dunno if that would work or how to do so?? sorry for the novel

jake
CHIEF-X is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default JR R922 Receiver System

So, are DS 610's (6v) servos usable with the output voltage of my R922 receiver system? I can't seem to find the output specs for it anywhere. Probably should put my glasses on...
michaelschwartz1957 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #135 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Almost ALL RX's output what you put in, the only exception is the AR7100R which has built in regulators. Not sure what a R922 is but your servos are running what voltage you are putting into the RX.

Again other than the AR7100R, RX's have a common power "buss" and all power pins share a common trace in the RX. Thus whatever is coming in is what is powering your servos.

Make sense?

Bob
Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thnx Bob, that definitely makes sense. We will be chanting songs of thanks over the desert campfires here in the UAE.....

So, physically what does happen when one tries to run 6v servos (which I have) at 7.4v (which I now know is coming into my RX)......bad things I assume, but, shortened life, unpredictable performance, quirkiness as what I have after my fifth cup of coffee....?

MS
michaelschwartz1957 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Programming mode

Hi Bob,

I recently bought a used Align ESC ( RCE-BL70G ) which has the built in BEC ( I believe). My question is this: To get into the programming mode (Dx61 and 6200 rx), do I need to have the motor (Align BL500L) connected (is that why you did in the vid ...i think it was this vid, I've been watching so many of yours recently )?

I ask because I wanted to test the ESC to make sure it is ok. It's probably only a couple minutes to drop the motor and connect it (out of the bird ...500 clone used), but I need to get some new bullet connectors for the motor (i think they are 3mm from previous owner vs 4mm for the Align ESC).

Thank you for all your great info. Makes getting into helis much less daunting for soooo many of us.

Thanks,

Jeff
BeerInn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #138 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelschwartz1957 View Post
Thnx Bob, that definitely makes sense. We will be chanting songs of thanks over the desert campfires here in the UAE.....

So, physically what does happen when one tries to run 6v servos (which I have) at 7.4v (which I now know is coming into my RX)......bad things I assume, but, shortened life, unpredictable performance, quirkiness as what I have after my fifth cup of coffee....?

MS
That depends on the servo! I know a lot of guys running the Align 610's on 8V (2S lipo) with no issues. Then there are some that report some issues. So "officially" run servos on 2S that are approved to work on 2S. Run servos not rated for 2S at your own risk

Bob
Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #139 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerInn View Post
Hi Bob,

I recently bought a used Align ESC ( RCE-BL70G ) which has the built in BEC ( I believe). My question is this: To get into the programming mode (Dx61 and 6200 rx), do I need to have the motor (Align BL500L) connected (is that why you did in the vid ...i think it was this vid, I've been watching so many of yours recently )?

I ask because I wanted to test the ESC to make sure it is ok. It's probably only a couple minutes to drop the motor and connect it (out of the bird ...500 clone used), but I need to get some new bullet connectors for the motor (i think they are 3mm from previous owner vs 4mm for the Align ESC).

Thank you for all your great info. Makes getting into helis much less daunting for soooo many of us.

Thanks,

Jeff
The BEEPS you hear come from the motor. The ESC sends short pulses to the motor to make those beeps. So in order to program the ESC you need the motor connected.

Bob
Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

bob,

how do i bind a trex 250 with esc and cc bec wired in per video with red wire out of esc. do i need to use a y adapter for bind process then hook up normal after bind plug is removed??? what kind of beeps should i hear? i have a dx6i and a ar6100e please help??
CHIEF-X is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in