Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My progress has turned in to regress

I mastered upright forward flight. I was very proud that regardless of which direction I turned, or where in relation to me, I was able to maintain a constant speed AND near perfect altitude without any fluctuations.

I started learning backwards upright flight and, although not pretty, I am able to fly backwards and turn in both directions and anywhere in relation to me. Certainly NOT pretty, but it's coming.

I've also started practicing inverted hovering in all orientations - again, not pretty, but it's slowly coming along.

Here's my problem: I cannot fly upright forward anymore! It's terribly sloppy. I lose forward momentum coming out of turns, I either climb or fall coming out of the turns, and i am over-all sloppy and my mind is confused with proper corrections.

What do I do? Ready to throw the Tx against the wall I am so frustrated.
Scott1115 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Try to fly the helicopter by the disk, not by the body. This can happen if you fly by watching the body. If you watch the disc, you make the disc move in the direction you want, according to where the body is pointing. If you watch the body, you have to constantly think about which way it is pointing, and which way it needs to go.
You also may need a little more practice with side in orientations.

Also, don't stress yourself. It's a frustrating enough hobby, don't make it any worse. Find somebody near you to help, or just go out and enjoy flying.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My progress has turned in to regress

It happened to me as well! But only when trying inverted, not backwards yet. After a week of inverted practice, I couldn't fly nose in upright anymore . I also kept smashing the heli into the ground upright because I used negative collective to try and get it higher. But, I just went back to the basics, slow piros upright and inverted, and practiced everything each time I fly, not just the new fun stuff. The guy at the lhs laughed at me when I told him this, and he said I don't know my heli. But now after some practice its all coming back again.

For learning backwards flight I am going to use the same approach, I will practice upright orientations on the first pack. Inverted on the second. And then backwards. I think the new stuff will be learned at a slower pace this way, but at least I will keep my current skill set sharp...

But, Im subscribing to this thread, because it would be interesting to see others thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try not to get frustrated, everyone has setbacks. I lost upright flight for a bit while learning inverted. Don't spend all your time trying the new thing, you need to continue to reinforce existing skills. For example, start your pack off with some forward/backward upright. Part way through the pack switch to inverted flight, and with the last bit of the pack switch back to upright (or practice hover orientations). If you pound one new skill and let the past skills lack, you will regress in your previous learning. Continue on the fundamentals.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scott1115

What you are experiencing is more common than you think. A few months back I was spending 98% of my flight twisting, turning, inverted and backwards and ended up coming real close to crashing twice in the same flight after trying to do an upright CCW circle. And again doing backwards up right flight. My brain just froze up and when I started thinking about what I had to do, it almost turned bad...

I had no idea of how to bank that heli around a turn upright. Since then, I went back to the basics with time on the sim flying upright forward and taking off and landing all flight with scale type of flying.

It does come back quickly. I understand how fun it is to start pulling off inverted funnels, piro flips, globes and any number of cool maneuvers. If you keep a well rounded routine, you should avoid this in the future.

Good luck,
Don
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes. I agree with all said here. It was (and still is) quite frustrating. What I have learned so far is that my learning goes like this:

1. I try something new. Can't do it. Too hard.
2. I persist and start pushing it. Still can't do it but slowly getting there.
3. I finally do shaky, out of shape, sloppy whetever and I am so happy
4. I started getting better in relatively short period of time
5. I nail it. Almost. Quite close and I am very happy.
6. I return to 2. and slowly progress to 5 over almost 10 times longer period of time. Very frustrating
7. I can do almost as good I wanted it - but now it is at least one year later since I did it for the first time...

Latest micro example: on Monday I started 30 minutes sim session every evening. On Tuesday I managed CW piro flip on sim quite close to being stationary. Slow and very controlled. To inverted and back. On Wednesday I repeated it. I was very happy. Yesterday? I couldn't do it again no matter how hard I was trying and concentrated. I learned to go into inverted piro-flipping more than a year ago and was very proficient for long time now. I could do it on the spot with mCP-X without issues... but yesterday I got hit with one of those days. Not sure it is only a day or again regression which might last. But, fortunately I've been though many of those so I am not giving up!

This hobby made me want to study psychology. Especially on days like yesterday. There are days I can do things I was never able even to dream of, and days I think someone moved me 4-5 years back with skills and I can't do even simple things. Plus this early peak in learning and regression and slow recovery after - there must be something behind it!
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in