Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Found a new practice move - all flips, all orientations, and piro hover

Hey folks,

I saw Nick Maxwell's one tank tip for piro flips the other day:
Nick Maxwell One Tank Tip #2: "Piro" Flips (5 min 8 sec)

And after watching this I thought that was a great basis to work on my orientations. The problem I've been having is that now I've moved on from just flipping in one direction there are so many variants to learn I've been struggling to find a way to ensure I'm practising everything evenly. For flips alone there are 16 variations, and then you have 8 basic hover orientations, pirouettes, and transitions between everything!!

What I'm doing now is taking Nick Maxwell's piro flip practice, and just extending that to a full 5 minute routine that covers all the four basic compass point orientations (upright and inverted), and all 16 basic flip directions. The idea is this:
  • Get into a stable hover.
  • Flip one direction.
  • Rotate 90 degrees.
  • Roll, so the disc 'flips' in the original direction.
  • Repeat until you've done all 4 flips / rolls in that direction.
  • Then repeat all that, with your flips going in the next direction.

To really make it challenging, you need to ensure you have a stationary hover in each orientation before starting the next flip, and you can also require a stationary piro too. For extra challenge, do a 360 + 90 piro, and once you've done all the above with a CW piro transition repeat it with a CCW piro.

So the full routine is:
  • Start with a stable hover in any direction. The way your nose is pointing is the way your first 4 flips/rolls are going to go.
  • Perform a half flip forward to inverted.
  • Hold in a stable hover for 1s.
  • Perform a 90 degree clockwise pirouette (or a full 360 + 90 for added difficulty).
  • Maintain a stable hover for 1s.
  • Perform a half roll to upright, with your disk transitioning in the same direction as your first flip.
  • Perform a 90 degree pirouette and repeat until you've done 4 flips/rolls.
  • Your should now be in an upright hover, with your nose 90 degrees rotated from your starting position. Use that as your new flip direction and repeat.
  • Once you've done all four flip directions, and all 16 flips/rolls, repeat all the above using counter-clockwise pirouettes.

I'm finding this is a great way to use a battery or two and ensure I'm keeping up my practice on all the basic orientations as well as getting plenty of flip and piro practice.

You could take this one step further by doing just a 45 degree piroette, giving you 32 flip orientations to practice. I guess I might move onto that if this ever starts to become easy...

Myx
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice routine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds good learning techenique so u should make sim video, as they say a picture is better than a 1000 words
raptor90wm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Have done practice like this and it does work. (Makes learning piro flips MUCH easier).

Mine was more front flip, back flip, left roll, right roll, next point. Each flip or roll was stabilized upright and inverted before continuing.

A sim video would be useful. Will be 2 weeks before I could post one (work travel).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 11-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ironically I made that post while travelling and just got back. I'll try to get a video up by this time tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Here you go, just a 30 second clip as I'm using the free version of FRAPS but it gives you the idea.

It's very rough, but then it is a practice routine, and I was trying to squeeze as many flips and rolls into the 30 seconds as I could

[ame]http://youtu.be/LiGUrCTBgIQ[/ame]
Old 12-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think this needs a bump.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
Hey folks,

I saw Nick Maxwell's one tank tip for piro flips the other day:
Nick Maxwell One Tank Tip #2: "Piro" Flips - YouTube

And after watching this I thought that was a great basis to work on my orientations. The problem I've been having is that now I've moved on from just flipping in one direction there are so many variants to learn I've been struggling to find a way to ensure I'm practising everything evenly. For flips alone there are 16 variations, and then you have 8 basic hover orientations, pirouettes, and transitions between everything!!

What I'm doing now is taking Nick Maxwell's piro flip practice, and just extending that to a full 5 minute routine that covers all the four basic compass point orientations (upright and inverted), and all 16 basic flip directions. The idea is this:
  • Get into a stable hover.
  • Flip one direction.
  • Rotate 90 degrees.
  • Roll, so the disc 'flips' in the original direction.
  • Repeat until you've done all 4 flips / rolls in that direction.
  • Then repeat all that, with your flips going in the next direction.

To really make it challenging, you need to ensure you have a stationary hover in each orientation before starting the next flip, and you can also require a stationary piro too. For extra challenge, do a 360 + 90 piro, and once you've done all the above with a CW piro transition repeat it with a CCW piro.

So the full routine is:
  • Start with a stable hover in any direction. The way your nose is pointing is the way your first 4 flips/rolls are going to go.
  • Perform a half flip forward to inverted.
  • Hold in a stable hover for 1s.
  • Perform a 90 degree clockwise pirouette (or a full 360 + 90 for added difficulty).
  • Maintain a stable hover for 1s.
  • Perform a half roll to upright, with your disk transitioning in the same direction as your first flip.
  • Perform a 90 degree pirouette and repeat until you've done 4 flips/rolls.
  • Your should now be in an upright hover, with your nose 90 degrees rotated from your starting position. Use that as your new flip direction and repeat.
  • Once you've done all four flip directions, and all 16 flips/rolls, repeat all the above using counter-clockwise pirouettes.

I'm finding this is a great way to use a battery or two and ensure I'm keeping up my practice on all the basic orientations as well as getting plenty of flip and piro practice.

You could take this one step further by doing just a 45 degree piroette, giving you 32 flip orientations to practice. I guess I might move onto that if this ever starts to become easy...

Myx
Myx, thanks for sharing. This is a great video. Easier following this video than any other ive seen.
ManilaIce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Might I suggest another similar practice method. I've done this one alot, and it's amazing what you can start to do.

Same kinda idea as holding a piro'ing hover, except pick a roll axis and hold it.

For example, start with a front flip. Hold a constant elevator input, and force yourself to adjust while flying through it. Move the model around in a straight line, draw boxes, circuits, etc.
Then pick a different axis. Back flip, left and right aileron.

You will see the same progression as if you were practicing slow piro's. First you will struggle to keep it steady, then you will slowly gain more and more control. You will learn what the rudder does, how to manage the collective, and so on.
Plus, the more you force yourself to learn a constantly changing flight attitude, the better your overall control gets.
From there you can get traveling flips, flipping funnels, rolling circles, etc. Alot of advanced moves come from learning control over a constantly flipping or rolling machine.

Pair that with piro practice, and you really *never* worry about crashing. It's fun!

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in