Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Got My BSR Today.....So What Do I Do First?

ok, i got my Blade SR this afternoon, i also got a microheli swashplate. so what do i do before i fly this thing? i have already flipped the throttle ratchet plate so it does'nt "ratchet". i also plan on going through the owners manual to check each and every operation to make sure all is working properly before i even try to hover it.

i'm not sure if i should install the swashplate before i fly it, flip the tailmotor, use the stock transmitter or go right to my DX6i?

i really want to try the stock transmitter to fly the stock BSR just to see what it flys like so when i do any modifications or improvements i will be able to see the difference, but i also don't want to trash this thing.

i also am waiting on the "training wheels" to arrive so i won't attempt to fly it until i get that, i use training gear on every heli i maiden just so it doesn't surprise me the heli's i fly now are the Walkera Super CP, Walkera Genius CP V2, Walkera V120D02S, mCPX BL, nCPX, HCP100, HCP80, MSRX, 120SR, V977, i'm just a sport pilot with average skills (3D is not something i ever want to do )

what do you guys think, modify it before the maiden or give it a try stock?
WhiteCloud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can say for sure change the swash. stock is NOT NOT NOT a good idea..second, get the dx6i programmed and make that switch right away too.

the tail motor thing I have no idea about as I've kept mine stock with the exception of upgrading to metal parts where I can. the swash on this bird loves to come apart if you look at it funny.

I think you will do fine flying if you've got the skills to fly the others.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get once of those glass canning jars or maybe an ice cream bucket or 5 gallon pail. Write "Swear Bucket" on it. Once it is filled up, buy a 300x or 450x if Blade is the brand you want to stick with.
puppydog_taz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Swash plate for sure, is it brand new? Or used one? Make sure swash is level first off.
Before you think about flipping the tail, make sure that vertical support has enough
meat on it to mount it on the opposite side. Some of those you can't use with a flipped tail.
Flipping the tail is easy, simply unscrew the grub screw, rotate the assembly, make sure rounded part of the blade rotates up toward the main blades....can't remember if I rotated
the blade on it.....that tail motors been on there so long I forgot, but I think you do.
Pull the pins out of the JST and reverse the connections.....be careful with them, you'll
have to push the little prongs back up some so it locks in to the connector.

The DX6i is so nice with that heli, but stock one should get you up ok.
Just be patient with it, take your time.
Rodney
500 Pro DFC
nighttrain06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog_taz View Post
Get once of those glass canning jars or maybe an ice cream bucket or 5 gallon pail. Write "Swear Bucket" on it. Once it is filled up, buy a 300x or 450x if Blade is the brand you want to stick with.
+1000
Braydubya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, i got home tonight and finished my setup and checkout of the SR, still had some light out and the wind was blowing about 5 to 10 mph........so i thought what the heck! lets give it a go! i used the stock charger, radio and heli for the maiden flight.

went outside spooled up and the SR went into a nice hover!

i mostly hovered tonight i was kind of shocked at how well behaved it was what with all the bad press this heli has gotten, i flew it real slow around the backyard and was very happy with the way it performed, there is a little tail wag going on at times, sometimes its real still and then all of a sudden it started hunting for a few seconds then settle back into a solid lock, no tail wagging. tail motor temp after the flight was 115-deg
i did'nt have to make any trim changes (setup really pays off )
i kept waiting for something terrible to happen like all the horror stories i have read, but i was glad it did'nt, anyway, so far so good

i think i'm gonna buy another one

i guess i don't see what all the "hoopla" is with this heli?? it flys well so far. now i start making improvements to eliminate known problems
Old 09-27-2014, 03:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCloud View Post
Well, i got home tonight and finished my setup and checkout of the SR, still had some light out and the wind was blowing about 5 to 10 mph........so i thought what the heck! lets give it a go! i used the stock charger, radio and heli for the maiden flight.

went outside spooled up and the SR went into a nice hover!

i mostly hovered tonight i was kind of shocked at how well behaved it was what with all the bad press this heli has gotten, i flew it real slow around the backyard and was very happy with the way it performed, there is a little tail wag going on at times, sometimes its real still and then all of a sudden it started hunting for a few seconds then settle back into a solid lock, no tail wagging. tail motor temp after the flight was 115-deg
i did'nt have to make any trim changes (setup really pays off )
i kept waiting for something terrible to happen like all the horror stories i have read, but i was glad it did'nt, anyway, so far so good

i think i'm gonna buy another one

i guess i don't see what all the "hoopla" is with this heli?? it flys well so far. now i start making improvements to eliminate known problems
Well I can concur with your thoughts, if anything the heli was marketed wrong as being the next step from Coax, or FP. As long as one takes their time, sets it up correctly, and is very proficient at flying a FP bird, its not that bad...
I flipped my tail motor on my electric motored one, seems to cool the motor better.....it sure lasts a lot better thats for sure! I have (on rainy days or really windy days) hovered a whole pack through mine in the garage, sometimes ran 2-3 packs through it...tail motor works just fine! I have even gotten the tail down to a Zz................Zz, instead of a Zz zz zz zz zz! lol idle up it holds just fine too!
Theres always haters I guess.....oh I have two also, the other one is a belted one....
Smooth, and quiet!
Rodney
500 Pro DFC
Old 10-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My SR was my first CP heli and I crashed and learned how to rebuild. I did the melt the swashplate thing almost three years ago and it's still on and never had a problem. I have many helis now including a 300X which is incredibly stable and a 200SRX. I'd have to say my favorite one to take up for stress free flight is my SR. I love it. I do use my DX6 now but I use a LOT of negative expo as I like a quick response but that's in the eye of the beholder. I say buy the other and fly the daylight out of em'. I think there great birds. Enjoy.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i am having alot of fun with mine, still flying the stock radio, stock heli and stock charger, i just havent had time (or finished buying the parts) to finish all the things i want to change;

belt drive
install all the metal components
finish "tuning" the tail wag
program and use my DX6i
Old 10-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good deal! My motored SR flies very nice with the DX6i,
You'll enjoy the versatility of it so much more!
The belted one, am not happy with that little monster!
Oh it's sweet or was before I crashed it, but now the tail
Blows out on it so bad it's pitiful! I don't have a clue what happened
to it....it flew perfect post crash. Think it's mad at me....
500 Pro DFC
Old 10-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain06 View Post
Good deal! My motored SR flies very nice with the DX6i,
You'll enjoy the versatility of it so much more!
The belted one, am not happy with that little monster!
Oh it's sweet or was before I crashed it, but now the tail
Blows out on it so bad it's pitiful! I don't have a clue what happened
to it....it flew perfect post crash. Think it's mad at me....
got a question for you nighttrain06;

i am going to program my DX6i this weekend can you tell me please what settings you are using?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
got a question for you nighttrain06;

i am going to program my DX6i this weekend can you tell me please what settings you are using?

Thanks!
No problem, I'll post em tonight after work.
500 Pro DFC
Old 10-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No problem, I'll post em tonight after work.
great! thanks!

do you have the gyro plugged into the RX and use the transmitter to adjust the gyro? if per chance you are would you mind posting those settings also?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
great! thanks!

do you have the gyro plugged into the RX and use the transmitter to adjust the gyro? if per chance you are would you mind posting those settings also?
Sure do, but you'll still have to adjust through the screw on back of gyro...
The setting on the DX6i affect it minimally.
But they help tweak it a lot better.
500 Pro DFC
Old 10-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

here ya go WhiteCloud....DX6i settings
D/R&EXPO:
AILE ELEV, and RUDD 0 all 100% + 25%
AILE, ELEV, and RUDD 1 all 100% + 25%

TRAVEL ADJ all 100%

Sub trim 0

GYRO 0: 59.5%
1: 49.0%

Throttle Curve:
NORM L=0.0, 2=42.0%, 3=55.0%, 4=75.0%, H=100.0%
STUNT L=100.0%, 2=88.5%, 3=75.0%, 4=88.5%, H=100.0%
HOLD -5.0%

PITCH CURVE:
NORMAL L=36.0%, 2=46.0%, 3=55.0%, 4=75.0%, H=100.0%
STUNT L=0.0% 2=25.0%, 3=50.0%, 4=75.0%, H=100.0%
HOLD 0.0%

SWASH MIX:
AILE +60%
ELEV +60%
PITCH -36%

MIX 1&2 INH

REVO MIX all 0

REVERSE
everything N except RUDD&PITCH R for them

D/R COMBI
D/R SW: FM

TIMER DOWN 05:00
SWITCH use trainer switch

Hope this helps, Oh on your D/R EXPO settings I started out with 85% + 35% on all but RUDD, it was 100% + 35%
But I found the heli too slow to respond to my liking....maybe try that at first and go down with your numbers try 30 if you don't like the 25, that makes the heli respond quicker around center stick the lower the number.....the higher numbers are for servo travel like the 100's or 85's, you probably already know that anyway....

Also, what works on one SR might not on another....a lot of my settings differ between my two SR's....But these should get ya in ball park....
500 Pro DFC
Old 10-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey WhiteCloud, this is by no means a suggestion rather something I learned from a friend and it seems to make sense. I have a standard Blade SR and a SR-UH1. I have converted the main blade grips, flybar head assembly, Bell mixer arms, center hub, swashplate and the main gear to the silver aluminum (the main gear is just the Delrin aluminum center hub). A couple things about it, first off it looks fantastic. It has a much more scale appearance. Secondly the thing flies way better. Its a lot smoother in air and is rock solid. I fly my standard SR much more only cause the fuselage and the added detail on the Huey makes me afraid to crash it. No fly, no crash right? the point to all this is that my friend is convinced (and I buy into it) that when you upgrade those fly parts to a stronger material ,in the case of a crash where normally certain fly parts would break, the aluminum parts don't break and cause the energy to transfer to other areas of the heli and break parts that are more costly and take more time to repair. It kinda makes sense to me but im pretty dumb. I do know this. There was no way I wasn't going to upgrade as I like the looks and improved performance. I upgraded the SR-UH1 and still keep my standard SR stock and fly the crap out of it. That way if I wreck it its standard fly parts that don't hurt the wallet as bad to repair but I still get the enjoyment from the upgrade on the other. Just wanted to share that with you. Not try to convince you. Also, if you find the heli isn't responding to input in a mannor fast enough to your liking increase your expo to the negative side. I fly with a negative 55 expo on my standard SR cause it responds more like my Nano CPX. That's what I was used to when I started doing circuits with my BSRs. Again, not telling you any of this to convince you to be like me rather to tell you things you may not have been aware of. Enjoy your SR and fly whenever possible. May the winds calm the moment your ESC arms as the worries of the day fade from sight like your heli on the horizon.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your right about the metal parts, I only have the metal blade grips on
mine, at worse I have had a stripped main gear, least
A linkage pops off. I leave the metal blade grips fly bar on mine because
main gear replacement is much easier, and less
Costly than blade grips, and pulling all that stuff apart.
I have yet to replace a feathering shaft. Main gear is
pop 3 links one bolt.....done in 15 minutes!
500 Pro DFC
Old 10-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
here ya go WhiteCloud....DX6i settings
D/R&EXPO:
AILE ELEV, and RUDD 0 all 100% + 25%
AILE, ELEV, and RUDD 1 all 100% + 25%

TRAVEL ADJ all 100%

Sub trim 0

GYRO 0: 59.5%
1: 49.0%

Throttle Curve:
NORM L=0.0, 2=42.0%, 3=55.0%, 4=75.0%, H=100.0%
STUNT L=100.0%, 2=88.5%, 3=75.0%, 4=88.5%, H=100.0%
HOLD -5.0%

PITCH CURVE:
NORMAL L=36.0%, 2=46.0%, 3=55.0%, 4=75.0%, H=100.0%
STUNT L=0.0% 2=25.0%, 3=50.0%, 4=75.0%, H=100.0%
HOLD 0.0%

SWASH MIX:
AILE +60%
ELEV +60%
PITCH -36%

MIX 1&2 INH

REVO MIX all 0

REVERSE
everything N except RUDD&PITCH R for them

D/R COMBI
D/R SW: FM

TIMER DOWN 05:00
SWITCH use trainer switch

Hope this helps, Oh on your D/R EXPO settings I started out with 85% + 35% on all but RUDD, it was 100% + 35%
But I found the heli too slow to respond to my liking....maybe try that at first and go down with your numbers try 30 if you don't like the 25, that makes the heli respond quicker around center stick the lower the number.....the higher numbers are for servo travel like the 100's or 85's, you probably already know that anyway....

Also, what works on one SR might not on another....a lot of my settings differ between my two SR's....But these should get ya in ball park....
Perfect! thanks for taking the time to send me your program!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in