Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba vs the Others

I plan to get into drones for FPV, fly some smaller helix, and planes.

I always loved the Futaba stuff over the others, but the BNF products available for the Spektrum stuff makes it hard to go with Futaba. Is there a reason why I should consider going with a Futaba 10JH or Futaba 8JH over the Spektrum DX7 or DX8?
photocycler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have no interest in drones but from what I can gather a Futaba 8FG or 14 SG are among the best radios for use because of the programmability.

As an example I saw an Align 480 last weekend and it sure looks like its setup was designed with the Futaba.
Andy from Sandy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want good distance JR/Spectrum is not so good for FPV. The two best for that are Futaba FASST (14SG or 8FG) and the new FrSky long range radio. For the best range get a FrSky transmitter with their new L9R long range receiver (alofthobbies.com).

How far will you be flying?

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are worried about BNF stuff try one of these at the link below. That is what i use on my T8FG for BNF.

http://www.radiocontronics.com/index...roduct_id=5130

Toocool4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will never hear a Futaba owner say that he needs to "re-bind" his receiver......
Old 11-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyersd View Post
You will never hear a Futaba owner say that he needs to "re-bind" his receiver......
Love that one! Futaba won't let you down. There is a reason spektrum has all those contracts for bind in fly. It's so you are stuck with their radio. If that is your only issue I say pick up a cheap used spek 5 for $40 or a old 6 for around $70.

here is another idea! https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=586480
Old 11-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Toocool4, That would be a great Idea, but I can get a good used DX7 for $100 and I don't have to violate my Futaba with a spektrum add on lol!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey... The module thing is great... But it sure is ugly. What I've done is taken the case apart and mounted a switch on the back. Wired to the module and antenna mounted inside.

When I want to use dsmx I just flick on the switch on the back and it goes to trainer mode. Fasst is off and dsmx on. And when I turn on the Futaba main power switch in the front. It doesn't activate the dsmx module.

I did this a while back so the pics arnt with me. But it's clean and neat. Oh I also made a button to access the bind button on the module.

Anyways... Futaba never fails. I've crashed many times (at least 4 times) using my old dx6i which I sold. The spectrum stuff works, but can have glitches and lockouts. I've just never had any problems ever after switching over to Futaba gear. Rock solid.
FUTABA 8FGS w/Spektrum Mod | FUTABA T6J on Phoenix dedicated
T9000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
If you want good distance JR/Spectrum is not so good for FPV. The two best for that are Futaba FASST (14SG or 8FG) and the new FrSky long range radio. For the best range get a FrSky transmitter with their new L9R long range receiver (alofthobbies.com).

How far will you be flying?

Actually, if you want real serious range... skip all the 2.4GHz sets and go pickup a used 72MHz PCM set.... doesnt matter the brand.

Even the cheapest 72 set has a tremendous range advantage (miles usually) with no line of site limitation.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Actually, if you want real serious range... skip all the 2.4GHz sets and go pickup a used 72MHz PCM set.... doesnt matter the brand.

Even the cheapest 72 set has a tremendous range advantage (miles usually) with no line of site limitation.
That may work, but I wouldn't want the 20+ hits on the way out. Plus Futaba 2.4 don't lock onto a channel like spek so you don't have the issue of loosing signal and needing to rebind. Plus the Futaba has been tested up to 3 miles. Used to control and crash the real 747 in Australia.

If your flying out of sight you are breaking many laws and all AMA rules.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Futaba all the way !!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Whats my options ?

Hi guys, I am getting back into heli's after a long lay off, due health.Anyway I started off with getting my planks back up and running all good except for one reason or another I decided to go with a FRSKY module in the back of my 9c ,I also have a new taranis I have not used yet. Problem being I nave just refurbed my 700 trex, and I am sure I am getting glitching with it. I am putting it down to the fact that while the frsky has twin antennas, they are close together. I am also about to finish putting together a helibug gasser which is going FBL,and want /need to run satalites on the controller, ssooooooo is there an option for a module plug in with the 9c or taranis that will give me a protocol that runs satalites and reliability.
Neal
neale is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Hi guys, I am getting back into heli's after a long lay off, due health.Anyway I started off with getting my planks back up and running all good except for one reason or another I decided to go with a FRSKY module in the back of my 9c ,I also have a new taranis I have not used yet. Problem being I nave just refurbed my 700 trex, and I am sure I am getting glitching with it. I am putting it down to the fact that while the frsky has twin antennas, they are close together. I am also about to finish putting together a helibug gasser which is going FBL,and want /need to run satalites on the controller, ssooooooo is there an option for a module plug in with the 9c or taranis that will give me a protocol that runs satalites and reliability.
Neal
I still have a 9C but after using a 14SG I find the 9C programming is too simple for most of my setups - especially on multi-rotors with autopilots and cameras.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Friends Don't Let Friends Fly Spektrum.

I own both but only put the big and expensive stuff of my 8FG. The others are just BNF stuff on a DX7s.
R/C junkie for the past 25 years and counting...
kingmeow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
Friends Don't Let Friends Fly Spektrum.

I own both but only put the big and expensive stuff of my 8FG. The others are just BNF stuff on a DX7s.
Love your post lol! I also only put expensive stuff on my 8FG. The others go on my anylink 2 on my 8FG
Old 12-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

8fg for the diabolo and logo, dx8 for the smaller stuff
MS60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in