Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Model Match for 14MZ - 18MZ

I've been looking for conclusive proof that it exists or doesn't exist with the FasstEST RX's. there have been a few threads in the past but people gave up and used a 3rd party, external model safe thingy that plugs into the RX. I know I bound to my car with a boat program a few days ago and took out my ankle with a S-FHSS receiver so I'm hoping they added model match with FasstEST RX's. Anyone with some info?
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't exist, as far as I know.
dkpodder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

"Modelmatch" is a proprietary technolgy for Spektrum radios (and JR using Spektrum tech). Futaba does not have it and from what have been told the hopping algorithm Futaba uses makes it more difficult to implement.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

A friend of mine has the 14SG, I believe with the telemetry setup you have this but cannot be call model match by Futaba as Spectrum has this name. With the telemetry setup since they have to have a 2-way communication, you have model match in a different name.

Toocool4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry, telemetry has nothing to do with it. ANY FASSTest RX equipped model linked to a given transmitter will rect to the transmitter if the model is turned on. ANY FASST equipped model will do the same when FASST is the selected transmission type in the TX.

So FASSTest or FASST any receivers linked to a given TX will respond when they are turned on. But FASSTest will ignore when the TX is set to FASST or when the TX is set to FASSTest and the FASST RXs are turned on.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soooooo.

I turn on my Fasst TX and boot up my Fasst rx, they bind, and now no one else should be able to bind to my rx for the time that the RX is ON. Right?

I turn on my Fasstest TX and boot up my Fasstest rx, they bind, and now no one else should be able to bind to my rx either Right?

Buuuuut, If i boot up my Fasst Tx and then boot up a Fasstest RX it won't bind and no show. same with the reverse Tx and Rx.

I also talked to hobbico on the futaba owners forum and he said they won't tell hobbico even if they were working on the feature and currently there ius no word and no support for model match.

Only way right now is to record model names with voice on boot, and have a nice big picture on your home screen. Really sucks coming from spektrum and not having to worry about the model when I boot, I guess it's a new check I have to do now....uggg
Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, Futaba requires the terrible burden of spending an extra few milliseconds to make sure you have the model you intended to fly is selected.

Hobbico is bound by their contract with Futaba not to disclose anything that they know about until Futaba authorizes the release of the information. Just the way it is.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

And your RX/TX LINKS, not binds. Links stay together (like a chain). Bind comes loose like a bad glue joint.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What do you mean?

Sounds like word play, link and bind are not the same thing? Are you saying Futaba has a magical Link! where Spektrum only binds?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Model match is not the be all end all failsafe some think it is. Spektrum guys can get so complacent about looking at which model is active that they sometimes make 'adjustments' to the wrong model. Next time they go to fly, it doesn't go so well. I've seen this TWICE at our field. Better to just make checking the model name part of each pre-flight and when you are working on your models.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pre-Flight is the ONLY way to make sure you are on the right model.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

If you name your model in the Tx, and have that model in front of you, how can you screw up?

When I want to fly my Gaui, I grab the heli, power on the Tx and select the Gaui model, then power on the Gaui. When the Rx "links", I perform my flight control check and FBL compensation and take to the skies.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know how we got along years ago. I remember the day we had to share frequencies and we had transmitter impound areas. I have had just about every radio made over the past 40 years and I think Futaba did OK with putting a camera on the 18MZ. Nothing sophisticated at all, no major electronics just a simple little camera,, Take a picture of your aircraft apply to the model setup and there you go. If you cant match a picture on your radio to the aircraft you see on the ground in front of you,,,, you best get out of the hobby.

On the other hand I guess over the years I have never missed matched a aircraft in my life. Flying R/C is no different then full scale when it comes to doing a Pre-flight check.. Saves a lot of headaches. But that's me.
helidog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Attack 4 to dx7 to 14mz

I had the attack 4 back in the late 80's and only had 2 models. You are correct that I didn't notice it back then. But 10 years ago I purchased the dx7 and found something really interesting. Boot up the transmitter and then plug the battery in and check if the model functions.
Now with the 18 mz it's been hard to change the habit of "boot up and then check the model function". For years I've been seeing if I got the right model by simply checking if the steering works.
You have to understand that maybe for you, your process has been different if you had a futaba for years but I've had a spectrum for years. Boot and check steering. Simple no danger, but now I boot up and 80% of the time I boot up the right model. But the other week I booted up and then plugged the battery on my car and it took off. For a guy that's used to having absolute safety on boot, this feature seems to be that one better level of safety than just relying on human intervention.
Being a computer guy I would love to get some people involved in trying to program this into the windows firmware somehow but for now years of simple safety have turned into a retraining process for my brain.
I think what I have learned is the 2 systems are great but switching between them is tough. There is such a high learning curve with the flight conditions and other incredible features that "boot and check steering" has to be forgotten. My last point is, I would pay for the feature if model match was an option.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sounds like that 18MZ is more trouble than it's worth.
You should send it to me and I will give you a wonderful Dx7 in it's place.
JBajkor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in