Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade 300 CFX Review Coming Soon

Blade 300 CFX, Blade's mini 700 X

Be sure to check out my review on the upcoming Blade 300 CFX and Spektrum DX9 in the next issue of RC Heli Pilot magazine. After owning at least six of the original Blade 300 X's I'm really looking forward to getting is little Heli in the air and to print! I still have he original 300 X I use as a student trainer machine. As always with all my reviews I will do a YouTube video showing the models new features, flight video, and comparison with the original Blade 300 X. Stay Tuned

I do not want to post to much info until my review is complete. Here is some info on the new Blade 300 CFX.

Key Features

• Carbon fiber main frame
• Optimized servo geometry
• 245mm carbon fiber main blades
• CNC aluminum head
• Integrated bearing block servo mounts
• 11 tooth pinion, installed
• Spektrum™ AR7200BX Flybarless Control System
• E-fliteฎ 320H 4500Kv brushless outrunner motor
• E-flite 25A brushless heli ESC
• E-flite DS76 digital cyclic servos
• E-flite DS76T tail servo

Needed To Complete

• 6+ channel DSM2- or DSMX-compatible transmitter
• 11.1V 3S 1350mAh 30C LiPo flight battery
• Charger for flight battery

Chris Reibert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

I'm looking forward to the review.

My first question would be that since you've got a pre-release version are you somehow obligated to Horizon for a favorable review? Will this be an unbiased review or more of a demonstration of the new model and it's features as a marketing tool?

What I'm interested in reading is an unbiased review of the power system and electronics on the CFX. I think we all know that the airframe is going to be an improvement if only a little heavier. I'm curious about whether their decision to put a higher tooth pinion on the same exact power system is a reasonable improvement.

Also, as an owner of six 300X's what has been your experience with the stock electronics (320H motor, 25A ESC, DS76/T servos)? Have you kept all of yours stock? Have you experienced any of the components failing prematurely? Does it concern you at all that they kept all the same electronic components in the new model?

Thank you.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Completely Unbiased for sure. I fly many different helicopters and am a writer for RC Heli Pilot magazine. I am no way connected to Horizon Hobby or Blade. The video will explain the new features and also compare it with my original 300 X. The video will be my personal opinions on the machines and Not a marketing video.

Out of the six I've owned in the past we still have two of the original ones. One is a parts machine and one is now my fathers main Heli. I use them bit only for witless buddy Nic training people interested in the hobby locally but I use them them my back yard beaters and practice machines before I try new maneuvers on my $$$$ Goblins. I don't have the patience or time to sim so I prefer the real thing! My past helis I had motor/BeastX issues with one out if six of them and I'm my Dad's wrench man in his learning process do I've had to replace it rebuild many gears and servos etc.. All machines have stayed stock electronics except for I tried a couple different battery brands.

Don't want to go too much into details with my thoughts and comparisons as I'm writing the article. Once the article is sent to print for the release I will post it up here and share my pictures and the video.

Thank You
Chris

Here's the old fleet. I did a lot of wrenching once my dad left the buddy box but he went from hover to full sport flying in one season with my help. A lot of his crashes he was able to pick it back up and keep flying. They are a great budget bird or starter Heli. My father retired a few weeks ago so my wife and I bought him a bunch of new goodies (canopy, blades, metal upgrades) to bling out his tired 300 X.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have a scale handy, can you also include the weight of the 300cfx stock with your review?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

As with any new product, I personally feel product reviews are of marginal value until they are done with product randomly selected out of the production supply chain.

Why do I feel this way? I used to work for a company that produced electronic products. I was always amazed at how we could get engineering prototypes and pre-production units to meet any specs, only to woefully struggle when the product went to full production. Any of a number of things would lead to that - designs not factoring worst case combinations of part tolerances, different sources being used for production part quantities, different assembly techs with their personal ways of doing things, less attention to detail in assembly, etc.
Other: Atmel AVR microcontrollers, electronics, 3D printing

Last edited by helibus; 03-12-2014 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: emphasis
helibus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Something tells me it will be a fair and just review. I too love my 300x from the first run. Minor issues as well. Has been a solid heli overall for sure. This is just an enhanced version but with some bonuses. I think it will do well for sure.
Mikado Logo 700/Synergy 516\Vbar Vcontrol Touch/Neo/RCHN #612 IRCHA#5289
Iskareot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm very interested in seeing the review. I like the 300x mainly for it's size and the Spektrum/Beastx gyro. Not happy about my way out of balance un-flyable stock 320 motor, or the tail rotor hub that needed immediate replacement before maiden flight due also to major vibration. I would have asked Horizon for a replacement motor but would not use it anyway. I'm not crusading against Horizon yet as they recently replaced a $100 spektrum telemetry car receiver for me no questions asked. But seems they know enough by now that less bling and more out of box reliability would likely be appreciated by a large segment of those already flying the 300x.
thruster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't wait for the review!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

meh!!!

Im not particulary stoked at the idea of the CFX.

CF frame no big deal
Servo layout no big deal
CF main blades (weve all bought them as upgrades already)
Alu head (yep have one of those didnt make much difference without decent dampners)

Same shitty electronics BIG deal
Same shitty motor BIG deal

Same shitty motor bigger pinion
Heavier bird
Same weak tail hub

Lets be honest here. The 300 X or CFX is not EVER going to be a 3d monster... its a back yard basher at best. Even when fully hopped up and decent motor it just cant "hang" with the bigger birds. I love my 300x, but for what it is... Cheap, easily repairable and not going to scare the kids in park.

Still lets wait and see what the review has to say
Old 03-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn00p View Post
meh!!!

Heavier bird

Lets be honest here. The 300 X or CFX is not EVER going to be a 3d monster... its a back yard basher at best. Even when fully hopped up and decent motor it just cant "hang" with the bigger birds. I love my 300x, but for what it is... Cheap, easily repairable and not going to scare the kids in park.

+1
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn00p View Post
meh!!!

CF frame no big deal
Servo layout no big deal
CF main blades (weve all bought them as upgrades already)
Alu head (yep have one of those didnt make much difference without decent dampners)

Heavier bird
Same weak tail hub

+1
Well said.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 04:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
brokenwing40 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 06:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

I just don't understand where Blade wants to position this heli.
With all the bling and CF it's become expensive.

The nice thing about the old 300X is it's price.
Just get one, next to your current fleet, for fun.
Maybe upgrade some parts, which you can because you got it cheap, go fly it.
Great park flyer or back yard basher.

If I was in the market for a 255mm heli now, I would not even consider the CFX.
Just go straight for e.g. a Gaui X2 or skip this size completely.

Weird move from Blade.
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not arguing with what anyone is saying but.....
The 300x has always been bashed for having a weak frame.
Now it's being bashed for having a CF frame!

Perhaps they are trying to compete more with the trex250 since it has both cf and metal parts as well.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

I'm more critical of why they didn't decide to update any of the electronics. With the considerable resources of Horizon Hobby/Eflite/Spektrum it seems like they could have easily improved a few things that have had a long history of premature failures....just sayin'

I personally think the frame design is pretty cool if it will allow for the fitment of aftermarket servos and motors.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I'm more critical of why they didn't decide to update any of the electronics. With the considerable resources of Horizon Hobby/Eflite/Spektrum it seems like they could have easily improved a few things that have had a long history of premature failures....just sayin'

I personally think the frame design is pretty cool if it will allow for the fitment of aftermarket servos and motors.
I agree. Putting in a big ass pinion on the same old unreliable motor and crappy servos and call it improvement is . If they had put in a motor with more power and reliability along with reliable metal geared servos, I think most of us will want one.

with the current frame design which has restrictions on motors and possibly servos, I'll pass on it even if it was at $300.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suck hattred for such a fun little back yard basher... I do agree electronics could be better but the heli design isn't bad horrible. Out of all my 300x's in the past only one had faulty issue and HH sent me a new one. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but the 300X's make it easy for people to budget into a 3D heli without spending $1000's of dollars. I would love to see a PNP or Airframe only version in the future!

Here is my cuz flying my original 300X. Obviously you need to perform collective managment with a stock motor but for the price it is still one of my favorite go to practice machines.

[ame]http://youtu.be/BY_uiJbkVeg[/ame]

My flying a year or so ago with the 300X

[ame]http://youtu.be/-Z2mPpQ2w7o[/ame]

This was an exciting day for me! All my buddy box training and my Dad's sim time paid off. He taught me how to fly r/c planes 28 years ago so it was very rewarding to teach him how to fly helis. He is my Best friend in the hobby and without his help and support growing up I would not have this wonderful hobby to share with others!

[ame]http://youtu.be/lN9sEnLQvOo[/ame]
Old 03-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is my thing about the 300cfx. It's $400 and for beginners, it might be a great heli but for seasoned pilots, most would have to pour in at least $100-150 to get better electronics. For that amount of money, I'd rather get a gaui x3 super combo for a little more than $500 with better electronics, stability, reliability not to mention vbar. Besides, spare parts for the cf frame is a lot more expensive than aftermarket spare parts for their cf frame

Btw, hatred is such a strong word. I can't speak for others but I don't hate it. I criticize HH for making a mistake in putting out a product without improving on the electronics that have a track record of unreliability not to mention other subpar parts that need revision also
Old 03-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nartac View Post
Btw, hatred is such a strong word. I can't speak for others but I don't hate it.
+1 . I agree with Nartac. This is not about hate. At first I too wondered why so many complaints about the 300x? Then I bought one and have been trying to maiden it for a while now with great difficulty because out of box it had two of the most common major defects, Motor has major vibrations, and there are serious tail rotor vibrations as well. These are not minor problems....they prevent the model from safely lifting off the ground without self destructing. I have at least three years experience successfully flying and upgrading another 300 size belt tail helicopter......Esky King2 which was not very high quality and had its own issues.........but not this bad.
thruster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
HF Support

We're all customers. It's not like we're saying these things because we feel like being jerks. It's because we actually own this heli, fly it frequently and have found it necessary to address some of these issues for it to be reliable. I have a lot of respect for Horizon Hobby as a company that is doing great things to make this hobby accessible and affordable to many people. I just happen to think that they cut corners in some areas to keep the cost low. In the case of the 300X that's definitely the cheap servos, motors and ESCs. I can understand the motivation which is to keep the price low so that more people will buy it. But on the other hand it's not exactly great for repeat customers. I myself will hesitate to buy any more BNF aircraft from them based on my experience. If they would offer them in "airframe only" kits that would be ideal from my perspective as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in