Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still plan on using the metal plate but just mount to the frame not the gyro tray thanks
legend1996 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Although I have my 720 mounted up top on the tray, I see no reason why the main plate below wouldn't be a good place to mount it.
The only reason I like the upper tray is I can plug my computer into the 720 without removing the canopy. I could still reach it on the main plate but it's just a little easier for my fat fingers up top. Wouldn't it be a little crowded on the main plate with the tail boom break-away bolts located there also?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's crowded but fits ok at 90deg. I will post a pic
legend1996 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So I did some flights yesterday with a spectrum ar7200BX installed in my 800, which is what I originally used in my 550.

The controllers are very different feeling, even for a relative novice/intermediate pilot like me. So much of what I want to express is difficult to put into words but I will try to remain clear.

Basically I like the Skookum more, if it just had a few things sorted out that the beastx has nailed down.

1. The skookum can't hold a hover like the beastx. Its as though its depending on what you told it was a level swash and that's it it doesn't care. But the beastx is active holding a hover. One surprising thing, and I can't explain this, with the skookum when the heli is hovering its main blade disk is not horizontal, its cocked one way, the beastx does not exhibit that. The beastx just sits there, and after a while I have to give a minor input to maintain the hover, the skookum drifts right away, and I can not get it to stop.

2. The skookum tail sucks. For 4 weeks I played with gains and stuff and no matter what the tail kicks one way as you climb up hard and kicks the other way as you climb down hard. The beast hardly does it, it still does it, but hardly. I haven't attempted to dial that out yet.

3. The skookum bird is not perfectly level as you pitch up and down hard, there is a compensation setting you have to play with. I never got it right.

4. The skookum exhibits too many things I can't swallow, twichy servos, esc that gives small jumps to the motor when you're putting your canopy on , the heli does this dolphin thing as your flying. The skookum never felt locked in, wind affected it much more than it does the beastx.

That being said, I can CLEARLY feel if those items were sorted its without a doubt a better system. It just feels better and smoother when your flying (if those items weren't there) The beastx seems like it has way better internal software and none of those glitches I have to spend much time on at all but it has limited settings and feels pardon the pun more robotic than the skookum which feels more fluid.

So.... that's it I'm up shits creek. One is clearly better but its complete junk at the same time. The other works mint without time investment but its junk too. haaaahahaha ............ vbar ?
jsbach#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: New firmware ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach#1 View Post

1. The skookum can't hold a hover like the beastx. Its as though its depending on what you told it was a level swash and that's it it doesn't care. But the beastx is active holding a hover. One surprising thing, and I can't explain this, with the skookum when the heli is hovering its main blade disk is not horizontal, its cocked one way, the beastx does not exhibit that. The beastx just sits there, and after a while I have to give a minor input to maintain the hover, the skookum drifts right away, and I can not get it to stop.

2. The skookum tail sucks. For 4 weeks I played with gains and stuff and no matter what the tail kicks one way as you climb up hard and kicks the other way as you climb down hard. The beast hardly does it, it still does it, but hardly. I haven't attempted to dial that out yet.

3. The skookum bird is not perfectly level as you pitch up and down hard, there is a compensation setting you have to play with. I never got it right.

4. The skookum exhibits too many things I can't swallow, twichy servos, esc that gives small jumps to the motor when you're putting your canopy on , the heli does this dolphin thing as your flying. The skookum never felt locked in, wind affected it much more.
1. All heli's lean in a hover. Its part of balancing the heli under the head with all the forces pushing down and sideways from the head and tail.

2&3. Collective mix removes the tail kick during punch outs. Tail drag comp removes the tail moving on the elevator axis in punch outs

Twitchy servos could be gain or in my case was electrical noise getting fed into the sk unit from poor running of wires. My esc never, ever jumped since using a sk540. Used it on both align and castle esc's. Same unit was used on my gasser with great success. Dolphine effect for me was to high hiller decay.

Did you read the tuning guide in the stickies? Every setting is explained and ut says what to look for for each. I just re-read it last night so I can tune my 500pro better now that it has smooth bearings again.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #26 (permalink)

=] we saw a pilot some time back, no-name (unethical) who complained badly about the performance of his BE unit, I took personal interest in this because, I knew he was talking utter crap!!

I turned it into an exercise where we worked through every issue until we had the unit performing like the world class gyro that it is!. That's the difference between knowing his setup was more to blame than his poor judgement on a product where the basics were neglected.

It was odd at the time because, where I was expecting a yea baby! response, it got more of an "ok" next, I couldn't get a real feel for what was happening at his end, but the heli flew beautifully by his account when we were done.

so I have to ponder, because there is enough self-help material here to feast upon, and 3 heli's here (mine!) that disprove your experiences as inaccurate misrepresentations for whatever reasons not clear at this time.

But I will conclude, it ain't the gyro!

georgi.

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Georgi,
very good podcast here is exactly what you are talking about dealing with that person/mentality. Stories about the pitfalls of knowing just a little bit about a subject. The last part about a guy who tries to disprove Einstein The small little arrow button is play.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...t-of-knowledge
Ken Here is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Georgi I agree 100% it ain't the gyro, but at the same time I'm not interested in wasting all my time trying to break the davinci code. Its like my 3gx all over again. I just don't get it. I'm stupid no problem I accept its me. The beastx plug and play everything works, heli doesn't move all over the place all these things skookum wants me to tune out. I'm sure once tuned out its a better gyro as I said above I do believe its better, I just don't have the time to figure it out.

2 SK720 BE for sale , one brand new in the box never installed, the other installed and used for 2 months, no crashes, no close calls no nothing. 1 LCD field terminal for sale too.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

=] it needn't be like this! SK gave you a perfect control loop, I have to consider what went wrong? because I plug n play here on any heli I setup. I don't waste time tuning away until dark, straight out the box, perfect every time.

you have options, wait for the new firmware, it's imminent, get a log up on here so we can see where you need to go, or revert back to known retro gyro's, it's your call but we can support you if you decide to hang in there......

Old 07-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perfect control loop huh ? I'm willing to accept what you're saying and keep working with it on my goblin since my 800 is quite nice now with the beastx in there. I have a machine to fly and can start another project for when I feel like tinkering.

But all I ask is you explain why its this way if you know the skookum logic well. Why do I have to spend time and adjust the parameter to get my heli to stop its tail from lagging above or below the nose on aggressive pitch up and pitch down, same goes for have to spend time getting the tail to stop kicking one way or the other, the dolphin effect, the drifting right when I'm trying to hover. Shouldn't the gyro automatically detect these changes and see that im not asking for it and more or less counter it. That seems to be the way the very antiquated beastx starts you off. If you leave the flight control parameters at default it goes up into the air feeling like the air is thick as jelly and it moves around very tranquilized, second flight turn everything up a few notches and you're done (for my skill level)

Can't blame mechanical setup anymore its the exact same setup all I did was cut out the 720 and install the 7200, I even kept my skookum power bus and just moved a few wires around so the correct servo positions have crossed over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	521842  
Old 07-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Basic 3D setup worked perfectly on all 3 heli's I had sk on. I just recently started playing with the tuning and between the self help and support here I can get any issue fixed up. But hey I offer 100 for a used gyro that all I have is your word that it works.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #32 (permalink)

=] so we remove one setup unit and replace it with another brand expecting better results, seriously? the SK needs a dedicated setup not some second hand native parameter?

either post a playback log or your full settings, this will show the errors....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in