Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Helicommand vs Flymentor vs CPll

I'm in the market for a new stabilization system. I'm sorry if this question has been asked to death. Please guide me to a thread if this is the case.

Thank you,

⁓Pablo
tribe3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi

Probably the question has been asked before but here is my 2c. BTW I have the Flymentor i bought for $115 Shipped and am very happy with its performance. Once setup properly it is very controllable and works well in position or balancing mode.

I think the only difference between the two apart from price is that HC provides the auto trim facility and the ability to setup via radio. I am sure or at least hope that you may get better components for that price. Also with HC you have to decide on 3A, 3D and Rigid for FBL.

At the end of the day it depends what you want it for and what suits you best.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe3 View Post
I'm in the market for a new stabilization system. I'm sorry if this question has been asked to death. Please guide me to a thread if this is the case.

Thank you,

⁓Pablo
To make it a bit more informative, it would help if you stated what type of flying you do, also what are you expecting from the flight system.

Budget, skill level these will all play a part in what you decide on.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the info so far.

I'm in learning mode at the moment so Level Flight is all I need right now. I will probably never do 3D because old dog don't learn new tricks but, I want to be able to do some basic aerobatics; i.e inverted flight, some loops etc.

About budget I'm willing to spend the $600 of the HC if it's worth it over the others.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What size bird are you flying and what radio equipment do you own?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Furion 450 and DX7se. My plan by the summer is going to a 500 size
Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My suggestion to you would be,

If you have a wide open area in which to fly and decent to semi decent weather conditions the CPII would be your easiest to install and setup.
Though keep in mind the CPII can not be operated indoors

As to a Helicommand, yes they are that good. but can be a bit of a challenge to setup and dial in for a novice.
Though money well spent.

Flymentor, being an inexpensive clone of the Helicommand functions much in the same way, but lacks some of its features, and precision and can be somewhat troublesome to setup

Old 03-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post

If you have a wide open area in which to fly and decent to semi decent weather conditions the CPII would be your easiest to install and setup.

As to a Helicommand, yes they are that good. but can be a bit of a challenge to setup and dial in for a novice.
Though money well spent.

Flymentor, being an inexpensive clone of the Helicommand functions much in the same way, but lacks some of its features, and precision and can be somewhat troublesome to setup

This should be a stickie..Id say
icerat4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The best advantage both with HC & FM is that by the time you learn to set up and get it all up and running , with the help and experience of this forum of course, you will know every thing you need to about your heli and radio systems
Old 03-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Though money well spent.

How big of a challenge would you say it's the HC to setup? I'm no geek but I managed to setup all my heli and TX settings with much reading, videos and guessing... but with no help. Including the CPll (but I consider the CPll to be a really easy and straightforward install.

On top of that I see that this forum is very active and you folks are very helpful and friendly

About the weather and open spaces... I just came back from my second CPll flight and had a crash landing. Conditions were minimal - overcast and 10F differential - I started OK but got close to a wall of high trees and the bird started to act-up and nose dived to the ground; I could save that one but got out of the maneuver with little control over the heli that rapidly climbed to about 100 feet and started an uncontrolled dive . I am not combat ready yet so I failed to switch off the CPll/TC and just watched how it smashed into a big bush. I was very lucky because damage was minimum. I'm not blaming the CPll but since I plan to purchase another stab system I want to checkout my options
Old 03-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well there are a few nuts to crack here. firstly connecting the channels and servo in the 'correct' order which varies from heli to heli depending whether the elevator servo drives the rear or front of swash. Secondly setting the HC to move the swash in the correct direction for correction and thirdly that the Tx cyclic control is correct as well. Fourthly to have it all trimmed correctly and sort the TX mode switching control and lastly optimize the gains for best operation.

Sounds like a tall order, but if I managed to do it I am sure you could. Understanding the basics of CCPM mixing could be advantage if not by the end of it you will

Anyway what ever your choice, we are at your service
Old 03-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Being the radio you have, and what can be programmed to function with it, it can and has been done. though it is not a fun time to do.

Concerning the CPII, did you try the new firmware update?

Old 03-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
Well there are a few nuts to crack here. firstly connecting the channels and servo in the 'correct' order which varies from heli to heli depending whether the elevator servo drives the rear or front of swash. Secondly setting the HC to move the swash in the correct direction for correction and thirdly that the Tx cyclic control is correct as well. Fourthly to have it all trimmed correctly and sort the TX mode switching control and lastly optimize the gains for best operation.

Sounds like a tall order, but if I managed to do it I am sure you could. Understanding the basics of CCPM mixing could be advantage if not by the end of it you will

Anyway what ever your choice, we are at your service
Thanks Pril! It does sound like a PITA but if we consider the try and error as a science than I might be able to do it.... I would have thought it was more plug 'n play ... we'll see
Old 03-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Being the radio you have, and what can be programmed to function with it, it can and has been done. though it is not a fun time to do.

Concerning the CPII, did you try the new firmware update?
Whop, that sounds even more serious.... I'll do some more reading brfore I make a decision.

Firmware is up to date. I went to pick mine up to Frederick MD and there was Elena doing FM updates to all of the systems
Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe3 View Post
Whop, that sounds even more serious.... I'll do some more reading brfore I make a decision.

Firmware is up to date. I went to pick mine up to Frederick MD and there was Elena doing FM updates to all of the systems
Ummmmm what would your Rev. be on your CPII when you power up and read the programmer?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Night, it says V1.7 when I turn it on. I think I saw firmware 1.4 somewhere also
Old 03-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1.4 would be the Avionics firmware, it will read it when you power up the heli

Old 03-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pablo,

My suggestion would be to stick to one system and try to get the most of it. There are really many many variables that affect a helicopter performance, without taking in consideration stabilization systems, and switching between systems would mean a longer learning curve. I am sure what you like is just enjoy flying without crashing, and each flight trying a new manouver. Sticking to one system will make life easier with more time flying and less time adjusting and trimming.

And the more you fly the more you'll like it and enjoy it. That's my personal experience.
Locitur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locitur View Post
Pablo,

My suggestion would be to stick to one system and try to get the most of it. There are really many many variables that affect a helicopter performance, without taking in consideration stabilization systems, and switching between systems would mean a longer learning curve. I am sure what you like is just enjoy flying without crashing, and each flight trying a new manouver. Sticking to one system will make life easier with more time flying and less time adjusting and trimming.

And the more you fly the more you'll like it and enjoy it. That's my personal experience.

:thumbu p: very well said +1
icerat4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locitur View Post
Pablo,

That's a good piece of advice and moreover considering that the other choices have also their setbacks.

Today after the small crash I fixed the heli and went back to the field. It was very windy but I managed to fly 2 batteries and the CPll performed very well! I even did a LOOP!! I'm amazed since it's only my second day out to fly for real. (I did many hovering flights in my backyard)

About HC I've seen some videos that show an impressive level of stability. I don't know If I can trim CPll to be like that.. or even if I need so much. I'm using this device to allow for a hands-on simulator like experience with the hope that one day I will be able to fly without it, or at least having it as a panic button.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in