Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kontronik Motor for 550SX

Hello all. Planning on getting the 550SX kit and was wondering if any of you guys fly it with a Kontronik motor.
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am and i love it, I have the pyro 650-103L and for it to work i replaced the gear from 0.7 to module 1 and using the 6 mm CB. Great power and most importantly the motor does not get hot, I can fly 4 flights back to back with no heat issues, best upgrade i have done.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running the same motor in the E5 and love it…
Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The motor mentioned above works very well in the 550SX and E5 as mentioned above.

I wrote some instructions for the change over that can be found here- http://www.readyheli.com/assets/imag...%20Edition.pdf
RyanW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great job !! I saved that for future use. I have the old style 500 SE that I just finished with no counter bearing. Would it work to just change the motor, gear and pinion ?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello,
I believe you may need a motor mount- depending upon what the 500SE came with. I think they came with 25mm spaced slots, but not 100%. If so, you need the 30mm spaced slots on the motor mount, which is what the 550SX comes with.

As for counterbearing- I don't think it is necessary on a stock 550SX, but better suited for the 600SX. That being said, bumping up to this motor and Mod 1 gears probably make it a little better to have, but not absolute necessity. Plus, you are getting a lot larger bearings in this size motor (Pyro 600 vs 650), so that helps.

I don't have the exact dimensions, but to be safe I would get the 'L' variant, then cut the motor shaft down to the length you need. I think the standard Pyro 650-103 might be a little short, even if you aren't using the counterbearing.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello!

And what about flight times?
3D
smooth style... etc?
gulyi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fingers crossed I'm hearing 6+ min at 2250rpm.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a P600-11 and the shaft is long enough if not using the counter bearing and you have the original mod 1 gear and pinion. I noticed in the spec for the 650 that the shaft is the same length.

You will need the L shaft if you want to use a counter bearing and maybe if you fit the new taller main gear and pinion.
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are my Align 600MX-1200L and Pyro 650-103L side by side.

Both have long shafts installed.

Notice the size of the wire in the Pyro! Liking it!!!!

40 grams lighter and 3kW, it's got to be a good fit for the 550SX

Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Depending on where you want to go with head speeds I would say the lower kv Kontronik is going to give the best range.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the pyro 650 on my Logo 550X, my flights jumped for 4:30 minutes to 6min 30 seconds at 2250-2300 rpm doing mix of technical 3D moves by switching from stock to Kontronik motor. More over i fly 4 packs back to back and the motor is barely warm to touch. For me was absolutely worth the upgrade. If anyone wants the stock motor, PM please, it has 5 flights on it for 50% off
Old 01-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, sign me up, I want one of these.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Hello,
I believe you may need a motor mount- depending upon what the 500SE came with. I think they came with 25mm spaced slots, but not 100%. If so, you need the 30mm spaced slots on the motor mount, which is what the 550SX comes with.

As for counterbearing- I don't think it is necessary on a stock 550SX, but better suited for the 600SX. That being said, bumping up to this motor and Mod 1 gears probably make it a little better to have, but not absolute necessity. Plus, you are getting a lot larger bearings in this size motor (Pyro 600 vs 650), so that helps.

I don't have the exact dimensions, but to be safe I would get the 'L' variant, then cut the motor shaft down to the length you need. I think the standard Pyro 650-103 might be a little short, even if you aren't using the counterbearing.
Let me get this straight, there is no need for counter bearing or mod 1 gear for this motor (pyro 650-103)? Also, i have a jive 100 v9. Do i need to upgrade to v12? If your flight times increased, this is worth the upgrade for sure.
ManilaIce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you will need the mod 1 gear as the motor has a 6mm shaft. I don't think there is a mod 0.7 pinion for a 6mm shaft. If there is and it has the correct tooth count then you are good to go.

For the Jive firmware I think there is a version 13 now but I don't know if this particular motor needs it or not. You will need to check with Kontronik.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManilaIce View Post
Let me get this straight, there is no need for counter bearing or mod 1 gear for this motor (pyro 650-103)? Also, i have a jive 100 v9. Do i need to upgrade to v12? If your flight times increased, this is worth the upgrade for sure.
Hello,

The counter bearing is up to you. If you have the 550SX kit, then you already have these parts and of course would want to use them. It is also very nice to have the third bearing support on the mainshaft, which is part of the counter bearing assembly.

The Mod 1 gear is a must, as Mikado have discontinued 6mm ID Mod .7 pinions- meaning you won't be able to find a pinion for the motor unless you happen to be lucky enough to have an old one, but even then it won't be for the SX main gears (thicker/taller).

My Jive 100LV is V9 and have had no issues at all with it and this motor. I was going to update it, but it is going so strong I didn't see the need.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ryan, that's good to know about the firmware. I have posted a question in the Kontronik section. Maybe one of the reps will let us know if there is any merit in an upgrade.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
My Jive 100LV is V9 and have had no issues at all with it and this motor. I was going to update it, but it is going so strong I didn't see the need.
Great! I have no idea what version my 100LV is fingers crossed!

When the parts I ordered from FastLad get here I'll start building.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Andy...
I have no idea why my signature went away! Anyway, I will fix that.

I am on the Kontronik team and had the same question. I asked and I was told V13 is only for the 14 pole motors (750 series and up). So you are good.

Last edited by RyanW; 01-09-2014 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Added content
Old 01-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Ryan, I think you started writing about this setup last October but your wife was expecting a baby. At the time you were about to go and do some time trials with head speeds around 1750 to 2100. Did you get the timings done?

Quote:
I have no idea why my signature went away! Anyway, I will fix that.
Are you with Kontronik then?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in