Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Selling heli (beater) to try planks, bad move?

I currently fly 7hv and Protos 500, i crash an average of 2 weeks once... cause I get at least 100 flights a week... and I like to try lots of new things in the field..

I recently realized it's more expensive to crash my protos compared to 7hv.... because I usually break more stuff in the protos than the 7hv (the 7hv is built like a tank)..

So i decided to sell the protos and get something else that's cheaper to be my everyday beater... and, I have been contemplating to try Planks for sometime now.... I like the speed passes that EDFs makes

Am thinking, instead of getting another beater, why don't use the funds to get a plane kit... have anyone done this before? Would I potentially regret my decision??
X7F#1-Xnova 4530-525, HW 160HV V4, MKS X8 Servos, Mini Vbar
X7F#2-HK4525-520 LE, HW 160HV V4, MKS X8 Servos, Mini Vbar
suthae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I didn't sell a heli to fund a plane but I bought a ARF TechOne Swift. It's $104 at Nitro Planes. I enjoy flying it as a relaxing alternative to my helis. It doesn't get a lot of flights!

Planes are a lot less expensive. If you're crashing twice a week you can probably afford a plane without selling the Protos.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Selling heli (beater) to try planks, bad move?

The Hobbyking Turnigy Bonsai (same thing as the Mini Popwing and possibly the swift mentioned previously) can be built for about 50 dollars. With a 4.75x4.75 prop on 3s and an 1806n motor it will scream. If you crash you just super glue it together and fly again assuming you can even damage it.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Nephew bought a Hobby zone Champ for 89.00 + tax RTF yesterday. It will take off from a picnic table.

The Hobby zone super cub is much bigger at twice the cost which he bought several weeks earlier.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you fly at a club with a lot of airplane guys see if somebody has a trainer or basic sport plane they would buddy box you on, that will give you an idea if you like it. Im a long time plank flyer converted to helis so I love both but you will only know if you try.

If you are flying 3D on your heli I suspect an EDF or hotliner will get boring fast, those high speed passes are its only trick. I have a glow pylon racer and at first 120mph runs sounded fun but now its boring and I have not flow it in a couple years.

FWIW, planks can be even more expensive than helis.... Just depends on how big and how complex you get into them. Once you get beyond foamies expect that plank crashes are going to be a lot worse to deal with than heli's, as you typically cant just bolt on parts. A serious crash on a giant scale 3D plane like you see the pros fly in the XFC could be a 4 figure $ repair (more like replace) bill.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Planes are fun, I been flying planes 24 yrs, and helis on and off for 8, but solid for past 2, I enjoy both, I enjoy all types of planes, slow gliders up to 100+MPH ones. 3d, sport, whatever almost anything except war birds

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm3313 View Post
I didn't sell a heli to fund a plane but I bought a ARF TechOne Swift. It's $104 at Nitro Planes. I enjoy flying it as a relaxing alternative to my helis. It doesn't get a lot of flights!

Planes are a lot less expensive. If you're crashing twice a week you can probably afford a plane without selling the Protos.

You can't beat the Tech One Swift. The only down fall with it is the plastic geared servos. If you push the control throws to the max the servos won't last long. Add a set of HS82MG servos and you've got a fun, durable plane. Start out with low rates and just crank them up as you progress. Bring some spare props and a tube of Welder's glue with you so when you do crash you can just glue it back together, replace the prop and you're back flying in minutes.

I'm on my second airframe because the first got crashed so much it just made sense to replace the airframe. In fact I mounted a set of HobbyZone floats on it and it's now my float fly plane.

Go for it.

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying, and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun"
Hekicopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

without question you should try planks, helicopters are great and so are planks..
they are very different, apples and oranges.. you'll feel the plane is easier to fly..

the folks that bash either one are just being juvenile, you've heard it before:
"my toy is better than yours"
Old 06-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use planes to hone my stick skills and practice orientation. It's relaxing and really helps tune the reflexes.

I loved my umx carbon cub as it had flaps and was about $160 rtf. They're very areobatic, small enough to fly just about anywhere and can handle a decent amount of wind. It's also pretty close to the perfect trainer cause it crashes well but isn't all that limited in its performance. Can even knife edge very well.
RapTH44 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 03:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks all for the inputs!

I think I'll use the cash from selling the protos to fund a Gaui X5, or another 7hv.

And will get a cheap foamie to try things out to get the feel
X7F#1-Xnova 4530-525, HW 160HV V4, MKS X8 Servos, Mini Vbar
X7F#2-HK4525-520 LE, HW 160HV V4, MKS X8 Servos, Mini Vbar
suthae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default another perspective

I too started out with helis about a year and a half ago, and I love them.
This spring I thought I'd give planes a shot, very fun.
Although not as intense as choppers, still very enjoying in their own right.
Since I went in order like this: Champ, Super Cub, Apprentice. (All trainers)
I'd go straight to the Apprentice.
It has Safe technology in it, So you can progress at your speed. Then you can switch it off and fly inverted, loops, rolls.
The Cub being a 3 channel, makes the turns really sluggish.
Just someone's experience taking here.
I don't think you'll end up disliking it, after all, it's still flying
Good luck with your endeavor!
Johnwhipple is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in