Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users

Default Two deep beeps when changing battery in birdy

Hello ewerybodey !

Today something strange hapened too my ds 16...
When I was changing the barery in my Heli transmiter give signal of two short deep beeps...
The type of beeps was the same like in range test mode...., but only two than transmiter get conection with reciver.
The transmiter was turned on when I have changeing the barery, only clear was pressed too stop anoying hig tone continious beeping when the batery was disconnected ( this is normal ), but when I was conect new fresh charged battery two times two deep tones was beeped and then stopped ( similar tone like binding mode or range test mode )...
It was hapened in the back space in the car " trunk"if this have anything too doo with this ( farenhayd ).
Anyone have a similar situation, or have explanation what das this two beep means?
Then I try too recreate the situation in my workshop but no luck...

I would not make a panic for this if I doo not have werry baad exspiriences from the past, but in past case was Futaba 9zaup with jeti transmiter modul bild in...
The case was my soon fly qadracopter with Futaba and jeti modul bild inn..
When hee hook up batery hee get this two beeps ( same type like mine today), wee say ok no bigg dill and hee goo too flying. In the mid time my friend turn on his DS 16 jeti, and radio ask him " if you want too use this reciver rx no..xxxxxxxx, reciver ID from my boy quad), hee say noo ofcourse. But imidiantly after hee turn on the radio, my soon lose the signal from quad, and the signal was not returned the morse beeps for the lost of signal beeps from then on...the quad was fall fri the sky like sprayed fly with RAID.
Lately wee need too reebind reciver once again and qadracopter was fly normally....

And now I have because of this my throusers full, I doo not want to this hapened ti my 3k heli....
Or ewen worst 1k hours semi scale 5 meter glider with up&go system inside...

Thanx regards...
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I get the same situation. I have my synergy e5 with a 2s lipo running straight into my hc3sx. I turn in the tx, then plug the 2s receiver pack in. I get the range test beeping which only stops when the main flight pack is plugged in.

I haven't had any issues flying with the Heli, but it has only had about 8 flights since converting to jeti a few weeks ago
Old 07-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the helis I have that have gab servos and have an RX lipo,
I run Kontronik and jlog on everything, ESC connected to jlog, and jlog into telemetry expander.

I get it too, but when I disconnected the jlog I don't get the deep beeps

If it's plugged in I get the beeps until the jlog gets power then it stops. It doesn't get power until the flight pack is plugged into the ESC, since the jlog 2.5 is being powered by the ESC, not the 2S RX lipo

There are times during the binding process that I get these beeps, so I wonder now if somehow the RX thought it was in bind mode.

I have a friend who has a Jeti trans, I will see if his tries to bind with my RX while it is beeping after plugging in the RX pack, before the flight pack is plugged in. If so, I will install a connector to leave the jlog disconnected until after the flight pack is plugged in so it won't go into bind mode

Thanks for this info!!! Very helpful

J
Logo 480 XXtreme, Logo 550SX, Logo 690SX, Logo 800 XXtreme, TDR, Minicopter Diabolo 550, Minicopter Triabolo, Goblin 500, Goblin 700, Goblin 770, KDS Agile 5.5, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, HD Cell 500, Thunder Tiger E700
taosgraveyard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I should have mentioned that it only occurs when I have my jlog plugged in too! I think the rx assumes it is being bound again...
Old 07-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soo the reciver thing is in some kind of binding mode ?

This is not good...

I would not recomend flying if this deep tones happened...
My boys quad was in the air when friend with DS 16 reset reciver .
Old 07-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haven't been able to test yet, the birds that do this are at the club ( we have our own hangars there) and its raining,

I am pretty certain I remember the beep does not occur except when my jlog is plugged in, and on the helis that are using the jive BEC for power, it doesn't happen. Only when I use a flight pack and plug it in before the main pack.

I am going to disconnect the jlog, get everything running and plug it in last.
Logo 480 XXtreme, Logo 550SX, Logo 690SX, Logo 800 XXtreme, TDR, Minicopter Diabolo 550, Minicopter Triabolo, Goblin 500, Goblin 700, Goblin 770, KDS Agile 5.5, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, HD Cell 500, Thunder Tiger E700

Last edited by taosgraveyard; 07-05-2014 at 04:02 PM..
Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Funny
Got an email from Danny, got a PM from Argentina, both at the same time.

Drag&drop from my answer to Danny I just sent:

Quote:
I know the problem, happens with a R9 only.

Happens if the receiver gets power before JLog. The impedance of JLog's signal pin (telemetry), processor in an undefined state (no power), can trigger R9's binding function (R9 reads LOW on its signal pin).
LOW at startup -> binding.

Solution: Power JLog before or at the same time as the Rx. -- Alternatively: Use a pullup of about 10..33k (or even more) on the telemetry signal pin - against <+> receiver voltage.

In my opinion this is a design bug of the R9. They forgot to enable the pullup in software (microcontroller's internal pullup of the corresponding GPIO).

Here a thread in the German JLog support forum on that: http://j-log.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=587
also covered in the JLog Online Manual (German)

-----
On the other hand it is generally no good idea (from JETI and others) to use a pin to trigger binding which connects to other devices. Well, I know of course why they are doing that and understand it: No room for an exclusive binding connector.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for posting here Tom. FYI North American version R7, R9, and R11 are all the same basic design so all of these are affected.
Distributor: soXos Helicopter
F1 Rocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am glad to finally find out what causes this beep. It always stops as soon as the jlog got power, so I didn't really worry too much, but its nice to know.

I had surmised as much, but its nice to know, -and yes I know it happens on r7.

Unfortunately, on one Heli running on kosmic BEC I have to turn on the FBL unit ( hc3sx) using the buffer battery pack BEFORE plugging the flight pack into the kosmic or my FBL unit won't start - kosmic BEC initializes at too low a voltage.

So I will just add a connector between jlog and RX and connect jlog it after I plug in the flight pack.

Or I suppose I could just turn the transmitter on last.. Provided I do so before the hc3sx gives up looking for transmitter signal,

. I hadn't thought of that,
Old 07-06-2014, 01:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well in my case was in both cases Rsat 2....
In the first case there was conected MIU6 original jeti senzor..
On the second case was Unisence from SM
Both systems were powered thrue the BEC of esc....
But stil unknown ridle : why my boy 's quad fall down in the moment when wee turned on anouther DS 16 on the ground. Not just corupt the link temporary buf permanently soo wee need too reebind lately...
Old 07-06-2014, 04:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
why my boy 's quad fall down in the moment when wee turned on anouther DS 16 on the ground
I don't know but can it be that the transmitter (his DS16) tried to bind to your receiver because of the short distance?

-----------------

Guys! Please ensure that JLog has supply voltage at the moment the JETI Rx gets its voltage (power-up). Otherwise that could happen again and again because the Rx may see LOW on its pin (telemetry "hot" pin) and assume to have to go into bind mode!

An electronic circuitry as JLog is, without supply voltage, will appear as unpredictable impedance (resistance pin--ground).

I think it is easier to you to change your wiring this way - than to provide the pullup resistor I mentioned above.

The crux is here with a JIVE (same thing w/ a KOSMIK, may also happen w/ other ESC depending on your wiring and if the ESC has a BEC or not and if that BEC is used to supply JLog):

You have a separate power supply to your Rx. JLog is supplied from the ESC, its internal BEC. Just connect RX's supply voltage in parallel to JLog and you will be fine.
JLog2.5 and 2.6 has three pins at which it can be powered, all in parallel because internally decoupled by diodes:

Pin assignment of the KOSMIK connector to be seen here for example:

Why do I show the +/GND pin of the KOSMIK connector and not of the X-Bus socket?
Because we offer the KOSMIK cable (plug!) also available separately as a spare part.

JIVE+JLog: It is NOT NECESSARY to supply JLog from JIVE's diagnostic port (motor side)! Every voltage up to +12V will be fine - so any voltage used to supply the JETI Rx will be ok for JLog also! (Only JLog2 needs a supply voltage delimited to +6V.)
Only important is: JLog must be powered-up at the same time as the receiver.

(Btw: The problem could not happen with SPEKTRUM in most cases because JLog is supplied from X-Bus (TM1000) and the TM1000 from the receiver. Only with SPEKTRUM satellites only (on a FBL) it could happen also, theoretically.)

------------
The real cause is that the JETI receivers do not have a pullup on this pin - or the pullup is too weak, too high-resistant. I suspect the 1st.
One cannot expect an open pin to read HIGH if other electronics is connected which has no supply voltage at that time.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Tom

I just tried it and it works. I added another lead from the rx to the OPTions port on the jlog2.6 and no more beeps!

and FYI, I am using a Rsat2 as well

Dean
Old 07-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

OPTions?!

There is no pin to supply JLog on OPT!

- JIVE port
- X-Bus port
- KOSMIK port

No other!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

So just to be sure I understand...

Here is my situation,

The hc3sx cant be reliably started with power from the kosmic, it initializes at too low a voltage. So I start up plugging in the buffer battery, and then the flight pack into the kosmic.

But the buffer battery doesn't power the jlog 2.5 becuase there is no power coming in on the com port of the jlog, only the kosmic is supplying power to the jlog 2.5 , but it's too late... Get beeps

So I should connect power and ground to the jive port on the jlog 2.5 , which its not in use in my case,

So that when I plug in my buffer the jlog starts at the same time as the FBL unit and RX.

And I don't have to disconnect the positive lead of the kosmic cable

Is that right?
Old 07-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My other case is using a jive

Heli With HV servos powered by a 2s lipo

in this case I connect power and ground to a kosmic cable plugged into the jlog 2.5

. So the jilog 2.5 gets powered when the RX pack gets connected

And I don't have to disconnect the positive lead going from jive port to the port on the jive becuase of the diodes in the jlog 2.5 keeps all the ways to get power into it separated

Is this all correct ?
Old 07-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Case #1: That's right. Please keep in mind that the pins on JLog's "JIVE port" are atypical assigned (as JIVE's diag port is): "yellow" is <+> and "red" is signal (not used here).

Quote:
And I don't have to disconnect the positive lead of the kosmic cable
Yep, you don't. Supply voltages are decoupled inside JLog.

Case #2:
Quote:
My other case is using a jive

Heli With HV servos powered by a 2s lipo

in this case I connect power and ground to a kosmic cable plugged into the jlog 2.5

. So the jilog 2.5 gets powered when the RX pack gets connected
Correct.

Quote:
And I don't have to disconnect the positive lead going from jive port to the port on the jive becuase of the diodes in the jlog 2.5 keeps all the ways to get power into it separated
Yep. But the alternative is to power JLog through its JIVE port, to remove the "yellow" wire for this pupose from the connection to the JIVE. Disadvantage w'd be that JLog runs on the 2S only (although current drawn by JLog is peanuts compared to the servos).
Old 07-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's all clear now, thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in