Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #61 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Main shaft is the shaft driven by the motor via the main gear. It has the head assembly on it whic is what the blades hang off. The gyro sense axis for a Futaba 401 runs vertically though the label so it has to be mounted with the label facing the sky or the ground. Other gyros have it 90deg around so they have to be mounted with their labels facing to the front, back or side.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 07:43 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks a lot kgfly! Really appreciate your infos.
Happy flying!!
heliboy88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2006, 12:08 AM   #63 (permalink)

I have the 450S. It looks like I can mount the gyro underneath with no problem at all as it is a solid flat surface all around where the tail boom goes through. Can I mount it without the plate? If not then I will get one.
Detroit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2006, 07:46 AM   #64 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

YOu can but it will hang over a bit as the curve of the frames will not let it sit far enough back. Try it and see and if you feel it is not secure enough talk to Rick about a plate for the SA.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #65 (permalink)

Thanks Finless. I was at the field this morning. I think we left about 9:30 or 9:40. It was nice. I didn't have my bird as I don't have it done yet. Next weekend I will finish it. I still need the gyro and tail servo to complete it. Andy and Jay and a couple others offered to help me get it set up. A great bunch of guys out there. Looking forward to flying with all of you and learning also. Have a great New Year. I am going to stop out at the field tomorrow and see if anyone is flying.
Detroit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm just getting a TREX SE.

I like this one :

http://www.microheli.com/mhshop/prod...roducts_id=337

Would you buy it instead of Rick's one ?

Happy new year,

Cédric
Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #67 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I still would get Ricks.... This puts the gyro lower and if you put your RX on the bottom rear it is very close to the RX which Futaba says you shouldnt.
Also this look more easily damaged in a crash as the gyro is much lower and kind of sticking out.

Just my opinion.

Bob
Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

And I have heard of a couple of problems with the MH one, one came with different length arms. Several have bent.

And MH is not know for good customer service.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007, 06:41 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

I confirm this Pinecone, a friend of mine ordered directly to MH.

Weak customer service.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #70 (permalink)
jwz

Hi. My first post.
I'm gonna order a Trex 450se in the near future, maybe next week.
Then all the excess parts has to be ordered when I can afford it.
After reading this, I know that I have to mount the gyro under the boom.
If it was a little easier I would order Ricks mounting plate, but I live in Greenland, and I dont like the idea of shipping it all the way up here.
Can you pm me with instructions on how to make a homemade one before i get the heli? (I can make one myself when the heli comes i guess, but would rather spend time on it now, and then assemble the kit when i get that.)
I am NOT going to make mounting plates for others or to sell.
jwz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #71 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Please PM Rick user name rdlohr about that. I dont make them.

Bob
Old 01-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #72 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Shipped to Greenland is $19. No biggie, I ship all over the world.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

What about putting the gyro sideways instead of top or bottom, wouldnt this work just as well? here is a pic i got from some other post on here https://www.helifreak.com/download.php?id=20835
Old 03-17-2007, 01:11 AM   #74 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

That looks OK but you have to be sure to maintain the correct orientation of the gyro sense axis. Those Align/Telebee gyros have to be oriented with the label perpendicular to the ground. Others, such as the GY240/GY401/L2100T/JR500 have to be oriented with the label parallel to the ground.

Also being held tightly to the boom block with a cable-tie like that could lead to too much vibration coupling into the gyro so don't over-tighten it.

In that photo the gyro is on the "safe" side of the boom but the rudder servo is still over on the exposed side, at risk of being hit by the main rotor. You would want them both on the left side of the boom to be protected from boom-strike damage.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2007, 03:11 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

ahhh, ok, I have a gy401 so i guess thats a no go, oh well, thanks anyway
Old 03-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys,

How does this gyro mount secure into the boom clamp? Are there some screws or is it glued with Shoe Goop? I saw one on a club member's heli and he said it was secured with a screw. I always thought it was glued.

Thanks.
CatchmyCorsair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #77 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

There are many options to securing it. Here is an excerpt from my instructions...

There are 4 main approaches to mounting the Inverted Gyro Mount:
1) Glue the Inverted Gyro Mount in place. (SA, SE, XL & SuperFrame mounts)
Use Plumbers Goop to secure. Adhere to as many surfaces as possible to give the best grip. Avoid getting goop on the boom since you will want to adjust it periodically.

2) Screw it into the boom block through the bottom of the Inverted Gyro Mount. (SE mount only)
This method requires you to drill one hole through the boom block, and then tap the hole with a 3mm .50 pitch tap. Press the block into place and use it as a template to drill a #40 hole. Only drill through the first layer of metal which is only a few mm thick. Carefully tap the hole with a 3 mm .50 pitch tap. Use loctite on screw when installing. Make it snug but do not over tighten or you could break the bond between the inner block and the top block. You don’t want to strip the hole or damage the Inverted Gyro Mount.
I will drill the countersunk hole in the Inverted Gyro Mount and provide a 3mm stainless steel mounting screw if requested when ordering.

3) Screw into the Inverted Gyro Mount from both sides through the frame. (SE & SuperFrame mounts )
This method requires you drill a hole through your frames on each side. Screws will go through your frames into the small block on the Inverted Gyro Mount. Drill the frames first. Locate the new holes directly between the two existing holes. Use a bit that matches the other holes in the frame.
Press the mount into place, and then use the frame holes to drill smaller holes into the small block on the mount. Use a bit sized appropriately for your screws. Drill very slowly making sure to keep the drill perpendicular to the frame. Drill a separate hole for each side, rather than one hole clear through the block.

4) Stick on the Inverted Gyro Mount with double sided tape. (All mounts )
Use a thin 1/16”heavy duty double sided mounting tape like Scotch® Exterior Mounting Tape. Don’t use the 1/8” spongy type that comes with your gyro because it will make the gyro response a bit mushy.

Most people glue it with goop I think.
Rick
Old 05-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #78 (permalink)

I was actaully just about to mount my GY401 on my Trex450s cf the other night when I realized it wouldent fit under the frame unless I sanded the frame slightly. Of corse I dident wanna ruin the frame at all so I recalled having some carbon fiber cloth, and resin left over from a previous project and decided to make a plate similar to the plexy glass plate everyone else has. It came out awesome if I say so myself used 5 sheets of carbon fiber and about 6oz of resin. Best part is it matches the frame, although no one will ever see it lol. Ill update pictures later.
Hunchman23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #79 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Just bumping this for all the new members that haven't protected their gyros yet...

Rick
Old 06-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr
Shipped to Greenland is $19. No biggie, I ship all over the world.

Rick
Hi Rick...

Have you ever shipped to South Africa? Any idea on pricing if you have? Also, how much are your mounts for the SE?

thanx
MuchMore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in