Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What have you done to improve your tail?

OK guys, I am starting to get more comfortable with my 700L and I am seeing some mild step outs on heavy collective moves.

Now I am sure I can get into it a tune it out, but I was just wondering what people have done to give the tail a little som'in extra...

My Machine is mostly stock, I did add a set of Zeal 105s, I would have added 115s but even these 105s look really close to the stock blades, The ? book said the blades are 700mm, I guess I should throw a yard stick on them an see

I heard a local guy say, he had the Nitro boom and TT as they are slightly longer so it helps run bigger tail blades...

What tail blades to people like the best, I keep hearing loads of people talk up the rails?
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am running Rails on my 700 DFC. They have a wider chord than many other tail blades which seems to help with tail authority. I haven't had any issues so I haven't tried any other tail blades on this heli yet.

My e7 had some tail issues with large/quick collective changes when I got it so I switched from 106 to 116s and it gave the heli much better tail authority and fixed my issues with that heli.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
Running 105mm align blades, with 710 main blades. There's no issue with the tail, rock solid. The fbl unit is vbar. I guess it's better to solve the gain/compensation issue in the fbl, and not changing the tail blades.
Good luck.
ShlomiB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need to watch out running 710 with 105 tail with stock boom. The main blades can hit tail in aggressive moves. I run 710 with 106 tail but I use the nitro boom and TT which is longer by about 15 mm If memory serves me. Plenty of clearance and I've been really hard on it.

Trex700ProDFCHV,Goblin 770,Goblin 570, 14SGH
Old 10-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 for the nitro boom. I've been using it since I built the 700, used it with 713 and 115s, on DFC head and now on the KDE SXT system with no problems. I've also never had the tail hum, even after replacing the boom after a crash, still no hum.
ranchhand is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I couldn't turn up the tail gain as much as I wanted with the original Align 105 tail blades because they went into resonance in hard turns (tail hum).

Using xBlades x106 blades helped. These blades are actually shorter but lighter and have a different resonance frequency.

Keep in mind that tail-precompensation can over-correct for wrong governor settings. On the beginning of a hard collective move, the tail pre-comp corrects but then it's quickly followd by a loss of headspeed (makes tail go back until the servo can react) and then the motor speeds back up requiring the servo to move again to coulter the new torque.

You can use the outer servo hole to get more speed out of the tail servo as long as it has enough torque to move the tail pitch under load.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You may want to get rid of those Zeal's until they figure out how to make a better blade.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=647848

I run a nitro Pro, but swapped out the boom for the Nitro DFC boom, which is 800mm vs all other Align 700 booms which are 785mm. This allows me to run 716 mains from Rail. I could run 116s on the tail if I wanted, but chose to go with the 106 Rails as i'm more comfortable with clearance.

Beyond that, I have the V3 tail case, all black gears with revised tail shaft, carbon boom, 3 torque tube bearings offset to avoid a resonance stack, carbon tail pushrod, KDE tail tail system, KDE control links, and i2rc tail rotor. I also run an i2rc front tail case which allows me to set backlash very easily. All tail bolts are red loctited and all bearings are have bearing retainer compound to stay in place. Tail is surgical with SK540. Also Quick UK hardened cap head tail spindle bolts and i2rc stainless shouldered blade bolts.

Back when I ran the Align hub I used a set of Lynx stainless frame screws that I cut down to 8mm for spindle bolts. They have very wide heads and worked well to distribute the load over the washer. The stock bolts tend to cause "cupping" of the washer.

I also had HEIM JOINT, a member here, fab and send me some of his "Chinese weighted" blade bolts, which work to counteract the centrifugal forces of the tail rotor spinning This in turn is much easier on the tail servo and I noticed an improvement in tail servo temperature after flights. Since I switched to the i2rc tail rotor, I no longer use these so if anyone wants to pick them up you can PM me.

Here's how they work:
T500 Align metal tail grip pushrod forces (8 min 54 sec)
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 03:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well you weren't messing around there DC!

I was able to make some progress with the VBar, I raised the gain and made some tweaks to the precomp, better, more tuning today I think!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in