Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Shake,Shake your momma...

Hi Yall, I'm new here and I was wondering if you folk would be kind enough to help me with a bit of a problem I'm having with my 450 p RTF.

Here is my vid. [ame]http://youtu.be/jtUdg_VFFvs[/ame]

I just got this today and started to test everything out and this is the problem I came across.

I centered everything like the flybar, blades and the shaft isnot bent.

Thanks for your help. Thomas..
motty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are you talking about the shaking at the very beginning ? If so that's normal.
tukkus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Seems ok to me, if it was doing that in a hover I would be worried.

There are some harmonic vibrations, usually at lower head speeds. Just make sure the blades are balanced.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not normal, way to much vibes.

Have you actually taken the main shaft out and checked it?

Formerly owned - Compass 7HV - Blade mCP X V2 - Blade 400 FBL BeastX
Mixmaster Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't look too bad but the main shaft could be slightly bent.
The clone helis usually are.

Also,the flybar paddles may not be perfectly spaced...If one is a mm further out than the other,bad shakes.

More likely a slightly bent main shaft though.
McKrackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default shake your momma 3

Here is a new video Yall's.

If you look close you can see as I get closer to mid throttle it starts shaking really bad then when I lower the throttle it slowly stops shaking.

[ame]http://youtu.be/p3uhgPJjGJQ[/ame]
Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any heli will shake at a certain speed. Most designers keep this in mind and design it to happen at very low head speeds. Due to this its generally best to get the head up to speed as quickly as possible.

Have you flown a collective pitch heli before or do you have any sim time?
Rago is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rago View Post
Any heli will shake at a certain speed. Most designers keep this in mind and design it to happen at very low head speeds. Due to this its generally best to get the head up to speed as quickly as possible.

Have you flown a collective pitch heli before or do you have any sim time?
Hi Rago, I have alot of sim time using Clear view and two other free sims you can download of the net.

However I am new to CP but not FP or Quads I just purchased 3 450 last week.
1, 450 v2 classic, 2, 450 v3 clones only.

I have been flying the old Honey bee fp, MXQ, blade Scout CX, Walkera Lady Bird, Double Horse 9101 and 9100 for the last 2 years and playing with the sim.
I also build and fly 450 size quads that are designed from scratch with part you can find all over the internet or your hardware store.

Thank You for your help.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Both vids look like harmonic vibes, hard floors tend to make it worse. It is still possible there is an issue but I wouldn't say anything looked particularly abnormal. You can get a vibe at low headspeeds if your blades haven't straightened out properly, however centrifugal force will straighten them out for you as the headspeed increases.
If you are new to the hobby and got this heli RTF you may wanna check your blade balance also.
If you are new to helis, you need to get some practice on a sim before you fly. Also be aware that these toys are dangerous, you will be surprised how much damage a 450 can do, they are definantly outside toys.
Good luck
scottyay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just saw the second vid. Looks fine to me. The headspeed is still slow and it will vibrate some when it's slow. As the previous poster said it looks like nothing more than harmonic vibes due to low headspeed.

Again I ask is this your first collective pitch heli?
Rago is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree.. that's more vibe then I would fly with..
Either.....
Main shaft, warped main gear, badly worn dampers, main bearings...
Do some basic testing....
Take the main blades off and spool it.. see if the head button is moving....or see if it still vibes...
If so.. pull the shaft again and roll it. If no vibes after removing the blades. You know what it is...
If the shaft is straight for sure.. watch the main gear as it spins...see if its out of round. Another way to tell is, check how much gap you have in the gear and pinion, turn the gear a bit, check again... is the gap the same? Different, tighter? Spin it a bit more, check again....trust me.. I have a box full of out of round gears...
As the head spins with no blades... check the head block as it spins to see if its bent, do this buy watching the blade grips as it spins...one may appear to be on a different plane then the other...if so.. check the feathering shaft as well.
This is a start....
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Motty

I would wager that your blade bolts are too tight.Not allowing your blades to swing freely enough to find the right position.They should only be just tight enough so that they dont swing freely when the helicopter is held vertical or "Nose down".Loosen them up a bit and that should get rid of that vibration;assuming that your track and balance is good. Hope this helps
OUTRAGEOUS40 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not harmonic vibes, you can hear and see that something's not right as soon as the head starts moving. Sounds like it's in the powertrain somewhere. My guess would be an out-of-round gear like Blayd suggested or really tight gear mesh. Take the blades off and rotate the head by hand. It should be silky smooth with very little resistance.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree - that head speed is still far to slow. Get the headspeed up higher. Also check blade balance, had that happen with me also with spooling up and coming down. Then if you have flown Cp helis before just go outside and pop it into the air. A FB heli can shake like crazy, but you can still get it up. Then see how all is - should then be fine.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

it sounds like a tight gear and too many twists on the belt . i also bet the head wobbles if you look at the button on the head . i had some that the head was out of center and always wobbled till i changed it
jombo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Boyle View Post
It's not harmonic vibes, you can hear and see that something's not right as soon as the head starts moving. Sounds like it's in the powertrain somewhere. My guess would be an out-of-round gear like Blayd suggested or really tight gear mesh. Take the blades off and rotate the head by hand. It should be silky smooth with very little resistance.

I noticed that in the beginning of the first video. It does sound like a really bad out of round main gear.

OP: How is your gear mesh? You're going to need to watch the gear mesh all the way around. My guess is you might have set it correct on the "low" spot, but 180 degrees around it's "bulging out" a little bit and causing the mesh to tighten to the point where it's causing bad vibes.

It doesn't look serious enough to cause major issues.... I say (IF YOU CAN) go outside and just hover the thing. Keep a safe distance.

Just for the sake of saying it because I haven't seen anybody else mention it, and you have not mentioned it.

You really need to dis-assembly every moving part, atleast in the head and tail, and make sure to loc-tite all the screws. Spindle shaft, all the parts in the head, and especially the tail.

"Ready to Fly" is never really ready to fly. Ready to Fix/Fail.
poor_red_neck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks

Thank You all for your help I will go through and test all that you guys may think it is.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fix the problem

Hi all, it was the gear all this time like you all said I replaced it and it spools up great now.
Thank You all!!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gyro tail problem

Hi again you all,

Please look at this video and help me with this problem.

[ame]http://youtu.be/eLUu5V_ISD8[/ame]

When in rate mode the tail does nothing when moving thetail back and forth.
when spooling up it just spins to the left.
Same action with the gyro in head lock.
I think the gyro is dead, what do you guys think???
It was working when I took it out of the box and turned it on.

I did reprogramed the transmitter that comes with it using the T6config software on my PC.

Again thanks for helping this noob out..
Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Give a man a fish.... he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=52530

In all honesty, you need to watch these videos before making another post. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be disrespectful but these are extremely common problems, that have been covered many, many times. So much so that members have made GREAT how to videos.

That sticky thread is found in the "Newbies: Tips and Information" section of the website. I would highly suggest that you browse through that section and read, read read. This is a hobby that requires alot of dedication, and time. You don't just pick up the sticks and start flying. Your build, and setup are as much or more important than your flying skills at this point.

Your gyro problem will be an easy fix, once you understand how it works, and what it's doing. I stated this before, and I'll state it again. Ready to Fly is the furthest thing from the truth.

Many posters would be more inclined to help you, if you have ruled out as many variables as possible. Why? Because they don't want to re-type something that has been discussed countless times over the past 8 years of this models' existence.

Again, please don't take this post harshly. Text has the unfortunate side effect of not conveying emotion. I guess that's what emoticons (smilies) are for

Please watch those videos, especially the "Futaba 401 Gyro Setup". Yes, yours is not a 401, but the principles in that video are pretty much the same for every gyro out there.

Once you have done the gyro setup, and mechanical tail setup, you can better formulate your question, stating what steps you have done and will make diagnosing the problem ALOT easier.

IE: Hey guys, I have setup my gyro, I have X degrees of pitch with the servo centered, my gyro directions are correct, my endpoints are setup correctly, and my travel adjust is set so I get full travel with no binding and I'm still having an issue with it spinning"

That's alot easier of a question to try and answer and talk about.

Good luck, and get to watchin those videos!!! They are how probably 95% of us gained our knowledge on these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motty View Post
Hi again you all,

Please look at this video and help me with this problem.

http://youtu.be/eLUu5V_ISD8

When in rate mode the tail does nothing when moving thetail back and forth.
when spooling up it just spins to the left.
Same action with the gyro in head lock.
I think the gyro is dead, what do you guys think???
It was working when I took it out of the box and turned it on.

I did reprogramed the transmitter that comes with it using the T6config software on my PC.

Again thanks for helping this noob out..
poor_red_neck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in