Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Initial thoughts on the Jeti DS-16

It's been a little over a week.

Jeti DS-16 Initial Review and thoughts

So far it is exceeding my expectations and has done everything I had hoped it would do, and I'm still learning about cool features that I want to leverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for such a thoughtful review. Can't wait to get one.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good review man! I'm excited to see one in person.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Architect of Ugh

Very nice review. That thing looks like a really solid piece of gear.

Damn cats!
Phoenix Sim, DX8, Gibson Les Paul, AMA #987871
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." Thomas Jefferson
Maypole is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jealous... If they can get the price down under $1k, I'm going to have quite a struggle stopping myself.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jeti really seems to be taking the path of nuking everyone else with some pretty cool tech. I've pointed out to buddies before that the prices some of these radios are for what you get are pretty damn crazy. JETI seems to put out a radio that I'd be more willing to dump big bucks on. Eg it's easier to convince me to pay 1 grand and up for a radio that has ditched the pots and all plastic construction. Well done telemetry interface and damn near customize-able everything helps too

If JETI ever comes out with a DX8/8FG competitor that at least has the hall effects, telemetry, and some of the customization, it'll be hard to keep me away

Mike Dipalo--Synergy RC, MKS Electronics
Commodore8888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent review

If only I had money to spare I would get one of these. I like everything about the Jeti from the CNC aluminum case to the fact that everything is programmable including assignment of switches. I am assuming I can also choose/download the voice that announces what flight mode I'm in as soon as I flick a switch.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent review, mkovalcson.
Thank you

Time to sell some old gear and start saving, me thinks.
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent review... Thanks.

In the pics I've seen the sticks look long compared to a 8fg. I prefer shorter sticks as i have short fingers and fly with thumbs. How adjustable is the stick height ? Are they as tall as they look in the pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
360Wings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Wings View Post
Excellent review... Thanks.

In the pics I've seen the sticks look long compared to a 8fg. I prefer shorter sticks as i have short fingers and fly with thumbs. How adjustable is the stick height ? Are they as tall as they look in the pics?

They are adjustable in height, but frequently you will see optional buttons or switches on the end of the sticks.

The sticks themselves are about the same height on my 3 transmitters. Their measured heights are within about 1mm of each other. I've not measured their complete range.

However they all feel the same height, but look very different next to each other because of the width of their bodies.

The JR and DX8 have wider plastic bodies, but the gimbals are recessed deeper making the sticks look shorter, but your hands are in very similar places over the gimbals in all of them.

Also the Jeti stick has a narrow base at the bottom of the stick which makes it look longer.

Like anything else, there is no substitute for feeling one in your hands.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the photos...

Im not sure i will have the opportunity to try before i buy as im not aware of anyone locally that is carrying the Jeti line.

It was by chance i stumbled across the Jeti Mezon ESC shown in the Kasama forum ( its one of 2 ESC that fit the Faifa without modification. Helijive the other)... I now have a Mezon ESC and im really impressed and it has me becoming more and more interested in the DS16.

Thanks again for you review.. Its helps people like me, evaluate whether the product will be suitable..
360Wings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agree, I am very impressed by the DS-16. Much of the fun with the Jeti lineup is the integration with the rest of their equipment (telemetry sensors, ESCs, powerbox, etc). There is a LOT of cool stuff coming from them these days.
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you pinch or use thumbs?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crap. Great review. Now you've gone ahead and made me want to buy this after I told my self no more heli spending.
dominoedge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good review Mark! I've used my friend Larry's (guy who posted the video on the accelometer-triggering bailout) a couple of times and its fantastic.
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Although I dont fancy this radio atm, I am really happy that Jeti brings the stuff. It is a bout frikkin time we saw some real improvements on the radio-front.

All other radios on the market now, look like belong in the stoneage compared to Jeti's new line.

Futaba, Spektrum, JR, better step up their game, bigtime.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good review.

I think it's a stretch to say that Telemetry on other systems is basically a no go. The Spektrum telemetry works fine, especially with an STI module for an iPhone or iPad. Having the voice capabilities built in is very nice.
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak View Post
Good review.

I think it's a stretch to say that Telemetry on other systems is basically a no go. The Spektrum telemetry works fine, especially with an STI module for an iPhone or iPad. Having the voice capabilities built in is very nice.
In a relative sense they aren't. They are attempts to put things out without a real wholistic view on how to use them.

The Spektrum system is made to sell you stuff. Lots of TM1000's and sensors and an iPhone attachment since the transmitter support is so limited. The Jeti system per heli is actually a lot cheaper than the cost of 2xDSMX sats and a TM1000 and it gives you a LOT more functionality.

I had issues with the TM1000 like getting it bound with my FBL controller without getting at least one blinking satellite. In addition I found the way my DX8 used telemetry to be not particularly useful, so I gave up on it. Too few channels and very little you could actually do with them. When I got my 11X I just walked away from telemetry and decided it wasn't mature yet and not worth the bother.

The REAL deal in telemetry is mah measurement and voice readout so you don't have to look at your transmitter while you are flying. Being able to know how much of your battery is used is a huge deal and it doesn't bounce around like flight pack voltage does. Being able to compare a bunch of values is great too like Throttle percentage, motor current and head speed on a single screen or on a graph later.

I'm not saying other telemetry doesn't work at all, but it is not compelling and people mostly write it off after futzing around with it for a while and decide they are not getting enough out of it.

For telemetry to arrive it has to be reasonably easy to set up, offer a lot of information and have flexible ways to use it.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmanbandit View Post
Do you pinch or use thumbs?
I pinch right now, but I'm thinking of converting to thumbs.

The DS-16 feels comfortable to me both ways, I'm just not sure which I will end up with. With the canted gimbals pinching feels a lot smoother than it did when I was fighting the natural angle my fingers wanted to move the sticks. I may just stick with that.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Initial thoughts on the Jeti DS-16

Great review. Perhaps I will be reconsidering the purchase of a 14SG later this year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Grok is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in