Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Parkzone UM T-28 is a lot of fun!

I've been bashing this little plane around for a couple weeks now and I'm really having fun with it! The foam has cracked and broken many times, as well as pieces like the landing gear and prop motor mount, but with a little Gorilla glue (half hour to an hour to cure) and packing tape I've got it back up and flying the same day!

The controls are a lot more finicky than a heli. With a DX6i, I've found turning my D/R down significantly (50% and lower) across the board helps me make more smooth turns and flying a lot more relaxing and fun. Once I get a better feel for how the plane flies, I plan on bumping it back up slowly.

I was actually flying into the wind on a windy day and achieved a sort of equilibrium with the head wind and prop thrust. This allowed me to get a feel for the controls without having to worry about forward motion or turning around (until recently, a turn almost always ended in a crash).

I'm sort of rambling now, so I'll just say this; the UM T-28 is a lot of fun for $80!
chemicalflava is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm having some very touchy controls on the P40, did you turn everything down to 50% or lower? I set my expos for 20, 20 and 15 on the rudder but did not touch the dual rate. Kinda scared to take it out again until I get some answers. Cracked it up a bit when it took a hard left, but taped it up, good as new. Glad you posted on this.
Keith66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I actually didn't add any expo, but since the T-28 seemed to be so touchy I might try negative expo if any. My highly uneducated opinion is that the issue seems to be in the ailerons (wing flaps), since your plane will quickly "slide" out of control if you bank too much. By turning D/R down, you can keep the plane in a safe bank a lot easier.

I was mistaken when I said my D/R was 50% or lower. I was able to fly it in a confined space at 60%, but I think if you put it at 50% or lower it will be a lot less touchy. You can either start low around 30% (unresponsive) and bump it up until you like it or start at 40-50% and go from there.

I did mine across the board since I don't have a good feel for the plane yet. After a while I might feel like messing around with things (ie. the rudder feels sluggish so I bump it up another 10%).
Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to be clear when you say "negative" expo, if you're saying that you will change your expo from 0 to -30, you realize this is making the sticks more sensitive at the center point.

To make the sticks less sensitive around the center you need to add expo, like making it go higher.

The reason it flys easier when you turned down the D/R is because you're lowering the amount of travel that servo can move. I had this same plane for my first plane, I did turn down the travel slightly at first also.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scratch what I said about expo. Don't use any!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

awesome little plane for sure. when you get kinda bored with it...you can throw in a 2S Brushless system..
Old 05-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Love mine as well. Girlfriend loves hers. Fun little bugger.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally took the T28 UM out tonight, winds a little bit, but man was it fun! Best of all it all came home in one piece. I think I need to set up the sim for wind and get more practice in. Also, took out the MQX, Mcpx BL, a couple Mcpx's and just for kicks a Msrx. Gotta say though, tonight the plane was
the most fun
Old 05-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i wish i could get my um stryker to fly. most it has been in the air is a few uncontrollable seconds. so far, it seems like a huge waste of money. did i mention how brittle it is. look at it the wrong way and you will break it. absolute rubbish.
boofy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Boofy, I had pretty much the same issue with a P40 I bought. We went thru two P40's at the LHS and found them defective just by looking at them, the third one looked good and bench tested properly. Right out of the box this thing went hard left and after 3 crashes, finally broke the wing. There was no way I could control this thing right off the bat. So I packed it up and when I get out to the field with the LHS owner, he's going to see what's going on with it. In the meantime, picked up a T28 UM, now that's fun
Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When you guys get a little more comfortable, the brushless as3x micros ( carbon cub, sbach) are really awesome and fly like much bigger planes in the wind.
--citizen 19-- ama#986265, W8RMB, T-Rex 700n 700e, 600n, 550X, 550e, 500 efl pro, 450 pro.. a couple of planks and a couple of quads...I am not a rep for anyone
cyclenut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclenut View Post
When you guys get a little more comfortable, the brushless as3x micros ( carbon cub, sbach) are really awesome and fly like much bigger planes in the wind.
Sweet. I'm going absolutely bananas with the micro T-28 (for 60 EUR BNF, it's pretty much expendable), ordered the brushless MIG 15 today because I like the speed and that the elevator is up high so you don't break it too much on belly landing. Also ducted fans are cool and different. Now I need a flying buddy so we can fly formations or chase each other with them. Without a prop, I think you can just bump into each other mid-air without disaster.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Four of us bought p51d bnf foamies and fly them together. Its one handed no brainer fun. We hit all the time. Foam safe ca and back in the air

Posted using Tapatalk on my SIII...expect errors...
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

. Got excited and flew the sbach this pm. Only came in too low landing and hit the fence.. Oh well nothing a little gorilla glue won't fix
--citizen 19-- ama#986265, W8RMB, T-Rex 700n 700e, 600n, 550X, 550e, 500 efl pro, 450 pro.. a couple of planks and a couple of quads...I am not a rep for anyone
Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey! That reminds me of my first catastrophic crash!

Since that pic, I've touched up the nose paint with Sharpies.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice! That was the second time I have torn the little sbach apart. First time, I ripped a wing off. After gluing it back together I ended up with negative dihedral, but with the as3x, it didn't matter. Didn't even have to retrim the next time I went to fly.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sure love mine!
GBLynden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So I got my sbach stuck in a tree, got it down finally, and had to glue it back together and put a new motor mount in... Went to fly it, and it looks like I killed the motor getting it out of the tree... So now need to replace or before I can fly it again.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is some video of me having fun with mine the other day. It sure flies well stock and after 100's of flights.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is my most recent flight(s) with this plane after not flying it for a while. Man did I miss it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in