Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Gryphon Electronics

Gryphon Electronics Gryphon Electronics Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Totenfresser

Default Choice of BEC for a T-Rex 550

Hi all, first post on this forum.

I was hoping that you perhaps might help me with my choice of BEC.

I have a T-rex 550, running a 6S setup with V-Bar, Spektrum satellites, 3xDS610 and DS650. I am running the built in BEC in the Align ESC rated at 3A/5A.
I have read that these servos are real powerjunkies and are able to consume up to 4amps pers servo in peak. Therefore I am baffled that the built in BEC have not yet gone up in flames, and also find myself in quite a hurry to replace this probably VERY underrated BEC.

Would you recomend the Agena for this setup or would the Quasar be a better choice with regards to power consumption of the servos?

/Marcus
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

My friend has nearly an identical setup, flying problem-free for nearly 50 flights, 200+ flights on it prior to FBL. He's never had a problem with the stock ESC only. He flies hard 3D. The reason it hasn't gone up in flames must be because it's adequate.

However, I'm sure someone here will recommend something to you that you're looking for.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Totenfresser

I have approximately 120 flights on this machine so far without a glitch as well. And yes, I might have been a bit dramatic in my first post. I am not really that afraid of my bird killing itself mid-air.

However since the last 30-40 flights I have really started to load the systems a lot more with 550-blades, higher C-ratings on the flight packs, and also started to do some harder 3d-stuff. And since my flying style has changed I also want to run the servos at 6V (instead of the default 5.5) to get the most out of them, and I believe that the built in BEC wouldn't like that...

I also have a small problem with the VBar gov creating tail issues which I have boiled down to the Align ESC. And since I am about to purchase an ICE100 to replace this, and ditch the Vbar gov for now, I am still in the need of an external BEC, since the internal BEC in the ICE100 is a no-no when you have over 425-blades according to CC and also bad with these servos according to many users.

So all things considered, this is really not a question of whether I need an external BEC or not, rather which BEC would be the best choice for my setup.

My current choices are:
BEC Pro 10A/20A
AGENA 7A/15A
QUASAR 10A/20A
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Recommend QUASAR so you may change motor & battery config over than 6S without any problems.

24s Goblin 700 (Part 2 of 2) (4 min 55 sec)
w_prasit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in