Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 550X

Blade 550X Blade 550X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Quantum?

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but... I've decided to switch over to a 12s setup. My edge 120 HV just showed up and I may be stretching to a 600, but for now I'm keeping it 550. The best motor option I see so far is the Quantum 4125-560 v2. Does anyone have any experience with this motor on the 550, such as flight times, bogging issues, fitment issues, good pinion, or possibly other motors in the other price range? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

MSRx, Nano CP x, 180cfx, 300x, 450x, 550x
caseyj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Isnt there an Align 600mx motor made for 12s also?
Arik434 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can probably find a motor from a 600X for next to nothing, and it's already designed to fit your frame.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used a v1 4125-560 motor on a bigger heli (Fusion 50), and it didn't lack power whatsoever - great motor....it would serve you extremely well in a 550, and still be the basis for a 600 stretch if so desired. I ran it on 3300's at 2300rpm, with my timer set to 4:00, but your setup would differ and possibly offer longer flight times. If you're going 12s, this is a good motor.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, for the info. I'm trying to avoid eflight motors. The quantum is cheaper than the eflight and should be a far better motor. I was mostly worried about fitment. I'm glad to know it has the power though. Thanks arik.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj View Post
Thanks, for the info. I'm trying to avoid eflight motors. The quantum is cheaper than the eflight and should be a far better motor. I was mostly worried about fitment. I'm glad to know it has the power though. Thanks arik.
Although the smaller Eflight heli motors such as the 320H and 440H are generally considered low quality, I've not seen much complaint with the bigger Eflight heli motors. I've seen a few people claim bearing failure but that can go for Quantum and even Scorpion motors, too. I'm flying the 600X with the stock Eflight 700 500kV motor and can say it has plenty of power; my ESC logs are showing peaks of over 5000 watts (I'll have to look at ESC logs again to give you an exact number, but I know it's over 5000 watts), which is apparently more than the Quantum 4125-560 can handle. However, since you're not stretching, you probably won't use or need that much power, anyways. I cannot vouch for the Eflight motor's efficiency since I've never paid much attention to it.

Uriah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess my next issue is kv. At 500kv I won't be able to run much above 2200 in gov mode on my castle. At 2250 I'm getting the "min. overhead" warning. And that's with the 20t pinion. I was set at 2450 before I gave up with the current motor and esc combo. So is the 2250 going to be enough to keep the "pop" I had before, and if not, is there a alternative solution?
Not liking blades high gear ratios right now.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have the link on my phone but you can do a search for it, but I read Burt Kammerer talking about Castle ESCs showing a very low ball number for their gov. He said he's done extensive testing and the Castle ESC's are dead accurate to 107% so you can go quite a bit higher than their recommendations. I'm running a 600 right now at 102% and it holds great. He said even above 107% will still work, it just won't be as accurate as it is up to that. Either way, nothing's going to explode if you run it higher. He said he's never understood why Castle is so conservative with their ratings.
Mr. Superhate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Superhate View Post
I don't have the link on my phone but you can do a search for it, but I read Burt Kammerer talking about Castle ESCs showing a very low ball number for their gov. He said he's done extensive testing and the Castle ESC's are dead accurate to 107% so you can go quite a bit higher than their recommendations. I'm running a 600 right now at 102% and it holds great. He said even above 107% will still work, it just won't be as accurate as it is up to that. Either way, nothing's going to explode if you run it higher. He said he's never understood why Castle is so conservative with their ratings.
The post you're referring to is here (link). Bert's post was, however, reflective of that particular Goblin configuration and powerplant. Nevertheless, I've found most setups with adequate powerplants can go well above the Castle Governor's warnings, just like Bert has suggested. I fly my 600X with a 20T pinion governed at 2300RPM. Despite the Castle warnings, I was able to achieve the same headspeed with the 19T pinion (with the same governor performance according to logs). Since I'm happy at 2300RPM on the 600X, I may eventually switch back to the 19T pinion; the 20T pinion does nothing but reduce my flight time by 10 seconds or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj View Post
I guess my next issue is kv. At 500kv I won't be able to run much above 2200 in gov mode on my castle. At 2250 I'm getting the "min. overhead" warning. And that's with the 20t pinion. I was set at 2450 before I gave up with the current motor and esc combo. So is the 2250 going to be enough to keep the "pop" I had before, and if not, is there a alternative solution?
Not liking blades high gear ratios right now.
With my previous paragraph in mind, the Eflight 700 500kV motor should allow you to govern at 2400RPM with the 20T pinion on the 550X. If my 600X's larger blades can run 2300RPM even on the 19T pinion, then your 550X's smaller blades should be fine at 2400RPM with the 20T pinion. I fly my 600X relatively hard, and as you can see in the video below, the Eflight 700 500kV handles 2300RPM without any trouble (be sure to play video in "HD").

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=583997059227

Uriah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see what you mean. I guess eflight can make something nice when they try Went looking through the for sale forum and found a deal I couldn't pass up though. KDE 600xf in good shape for 100$. I just wish I had spare money for a 550x or 600x kit for my future non scheduled landings Hope parts are available for a long while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in