Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50 > Titan X50

Titan X50 Thunder Tiger Titan X50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default To FBL or to not FBL

I am Just getting back into the hobby and have pretty much made up my mind to buy a new Raptor X50, Probably a torque tube mode.

However I have no experience with FBL Head and controller.

So the question is To FBL or to not FBL
3drcbuilder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Owning both types of Helis I would have to say that I prefer the locked in feel the fbl gives. Given the option I would not hesitate to go fbl.
Team Skookum Robotics Field Rep
n8sx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

^^^^ Ditto.^^^^
Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've read several place that the fbl doesn't have the connect feel of the fly bar head which is why I asked the question. I've been away from the hobby for eight years and of course in that time everything has changed.

The other parts is programming a fbl system and I have no experience with these systems.

Not knowing anything about FBL controllers, I'm leaning towards my old favorite, futaba and the GY750.

Anything wrong with this choice?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nothing wrong with that choice at all. However don't let the set up/programming scare you. Fbl controllers aren't bad to do at all. I don't know how the fbl could feel less connected but the choice is a preference. I think fb feels slow or mushy compared to fbl. Like both systems at different times. You about have to get your hands on one to know which to choose.
Team Skookum Robotics Field Rep
n8sx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well so far I have decide on a Raptor x50 FLB TT with a GY750

Next I need a recommendation for servos. I'm a long way from stick banging 3d. I'm thinking the Align 655's for head control.

If I wanted to use a Align servo with the 750 which one would I use.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd buy a Futaba 251 for the tail.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would stick with futaba servos, or at least a better quality brand than Align. Last thing you want to do is skimp out on electronics and have a servo failure mid-flight. There's no recovering from that.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have zero complaints with the align 610 servos .... i just fly and my last name isnt Watts. Or piro pete

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
kayakboy69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can use Savox servo for tail SH-1290MG. Got one on mine.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the 610 that is what I'm running on my x50
Taxus812 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I've read several place that the fbl doesn't have the connect feel of the fly bar head which is why I asked the question."

I strongly disagree with this.

I flew only machines with flybars from 1976 to about 2007 (with the exception of a brief flirtation with FBL machines before there were any FBL electronics).

Modern FBL helicopters, with modern electronics, have a great "connected" feel if set up properly, IMHO.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My X50 with a flybar does not fly as good as my flybarless models. It is going to get converted soon.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
"I've read several place that the fbl doesn't have the connect feel of the fly bar head which is why I asked the question."

I strongly disagree with this.

I flew only machines with flybars from 1976 to about 2007 (with the exception of a brief flirtation with FBL machines before there were any FBL electronics).

Modern FBL helicopters, with modern electronics, have a great "connected" feel if set up properly, IMHO.
Where I heard the (connected feel) was on a Bobby Watts video for the intro of the the Futaba CGY-750 and after watching several videos how well the CGY-750 can tune all these and many more issues out.

I flew helicopters for several years before taking a long brake and I might as well be a newbee again with everything that has evolved since then. About the only thing that has remained the same is you still move the sticks in the same directions.

My main interest in the CGY-750 is that it does everything, gyro, head control, Governor and so on. But I'm still a little lost on servos. When I left the hobby is was pretty much Futaba, JR, Airtronics and Hitec. Now there seems to be numerous company's making servo.

Question. Is the a crank case RPM sensor that can be used with the CGY-750?

I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos and I'm pretty much to the point of information overload.

I've kind of decided on the Align DS-655's. I don't feel my skills are going to demand any more than what these servos can deliver. The price is with in my budget and the spec seem to be pretty good. Also at this point I want to stay in the 4.9 / 6.0 volt power ranges till I learn more about the high voltage systems. There is a pretty big price jump to go above these.

I was just going to start with a OS 50sx-H but am now leaning to the 55 for no other reason than the 40L carb. I liked my 60 engines that came with this carb.

My Birthday is quickly approaching in April and the the helicopter is my birthday present to me so I need to get my wish list finely tuned.

So Any other recommendations will be welcomed.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, there is a crank pin sensor you can use with your CGY-750:

LINK

They also make a backplate with a socket for the sensor.

LINK
Old 03-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the model you select hAs the blue canopy get a new one. It is very hard to see
Taxus812 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drcbuilder View Post
Where I heard the (connected feel) was on a Bobby Watts video for the intro of the the Futaba CGY-750 and after watching several videos how well the CGY-750 can tune all these and many more issues out.

I flew helicopters for several years before taking a long brake and I might as well be a newbee again with everything that has evolved since then. About the only thing that has remained the same is you still move the sticks in the same directions.

My main interest in the CGY-750 is that it does everything, gyro, head control, Governor and so on. But I'm still a little lost on servos. When I left the hobby is was pretty much Futaba, JR, Airtronics and Hitec. Now there seems to be numerous company's making servo.

Question. Is the a crank case RPM sensor that can be used with the CGY-750?

I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos and I'm pretty much to the point of information overload.

I've kind of decided on the Align DS-655's. I don't feel my skills are going to demand any more than what these servos can deliver. The price is with in my budget and the spec seem to be pretty good. Also at this point I want to stay in the 4.9 / 6.0 volt power ranges till I learn more about the high voltage systems. There is a pretty big price jump to go above these.

I was just going to start with a OS 50sx-H but am now leaning to the 55 for no other reason than the 40L carb. I liked my 60 engines that came with this carb.

My Birthday is quickly approaching in April and the the helicopter is my birthday present to me so I need to get my wish list finely tuned.

So Any other recommendations will be welcomed.
I took a long break too, and when i got back into it i was blown away with how much things have changed. The CGY-750 is an awesome unit. i dont have one myself since i fly Spektrum tx, but I highly recommend it if you are running futaba TX already. Yes, it will control pretty much everything you need on your heli. Tail, head, engine gov, everything. I think you will need to buy a seperate reciever and run it through sbus (one single line from RX to FBL unit)
For engine gov, Some guys still use the magnets on the fan for there gov sensor, but now they have backplate sensors that do the same thing (debatable subject) Futaba has a specific part made to work with an OS engine and the CGY.
The really great advantage to running futaba/O.S./thunder tiger combo is that is what the pros use when developing the equipment so you know everything is compatible with each other.
As far as engine, It depends on what you want to get out of your heli. A .50 will work. But you have to watch your collective management, cuz it will bog down the heli. I am currently replacing my os .50 h-z with a .55hz-r because i found the .50 a little lacking. But i ask a lot from my heli, and you may not push it so hard. So its really up to your flying style
Now for servos and electronics. Let me start by saying i am an align hater and i have a totally bias opinion. So i wont go into which brand to choose. But you do want high quality servos to go with your CGY. But as far as the whole HV/LV debate it really just boils down to what kind of battery you plan to use for your RX. if you want to run a straight 2 cell lipo with no regulator you need hv servos. If you run LV (4.8-6V) servos with a 2 cell lipo you will need a regulator to limit the voltage. which adds weight, expense, and a possible failure point when flying. But now they have LiFe batteries. Which are a lot easer to take care of, can sit charged, but are a little bit more expensive and harder to find. The Life run at 6.6v which you can plug right into your 6v servos. that extra .6V disappears pretty fast.
Or you could use a 4.8NiMh pack, but you'll be showing your age with that one. i doubt many people use them any more.
hope that helps
Old 03-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the input spider, After deciding to get back into the hobby the first thing I purchased was a new Futaba 14SGH with two receivers. I still have my radios from the old days ;^) a Futaba 9ZAW WCII which was used for airplanes and a JR 10X. While these radios are still usable there are fields that don't allow 72mhz plus I didn't want to limit myself as far as a radio.

However, I will never buy the super high end radios again. It makes me sick on how much money I have tied up in the 9ZAW and the JR that I will never come close to recouping.

Anyway, I sill haven't made up my mind about servos, I haven't found any spec's anywhere on what a FBL 600 size head requires. I know speed is important but how much torque is really required. Plus $500.00 in servos seems a bit EXTREME!!!! at my skill level.

I need the helicopter to fly and be far enough in front of my skill level that I have room to learn and not be limited by the helicopters abilities.

Where that point is I don't know.

Let's say I want a servo in a $90.00 price range, what are your recommendations.

Thanks to all that has responded.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would try something like this for the cyclics and throttle
http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...gh-Speed-Servo

and spend a bit more and get a really nice tail servo
http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...tal-Tail-Servo

you run those with a LiFe pack at 6v with no regulator, and you shouldn't be disappointed. You can upgrade your cyclics later if you feel the need, but that tail servo will last a while.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: To FBL or to not FBL

I am running Savox 1258tg on my cyclics and Savox 1257tg on my tail and throttle. They have performed flawlessly so far. They are the same servo as the Align 610 and 620.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in