Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G JR Radios

2.4G JR Radios JR 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

View Poll Results: Did your X9303 have wire chafing inside upon inspection
Yes - My X9303 had a chafed wire 104 49.52%
No - My X9303 had NO chafing and was fine 106 50.48%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #41 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Just got my boxes I shipped back from IRCHA. Popped open my X9303 and was pleased to see very little chafing. Insulation was still instact, but you can clearly see some damage on the black and blue wires. I put a blob of goop on either side of the wire bundle where it slides through the gimbal and worked it back and forth to fill the hole with goop, then radiused both the gimbal bearing block and voltage regulator. The wire hold down was removed and flipped over to keep the aileron pot wire tucked up tight and I gave it just enough slack to prevent tension on the wire at full deflection.

JR's fix isn't much of a fix 'cuz it allows the wire to be rubbed by the gimbal mechanism on full back stick. I'm gonna keep an eye on it and if I see more chafing evidence, I'm going to unsolder the wire, reroute it and cover it in some heavy duty sleeving then resolder.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I fixed mine the other night. None of the wires were cut down to the copper, but they did show signs of wear.
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #43 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Just opened my radio. Even with very little use the wires were just starting to chafe. You can see in the regulator pic the red insulation on the regulator and circuit board. No copper showing so I am happy about that.

Not as hard as I thought to open the radio, but it is not back together yet.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regulator.gif
Views:	906
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	60149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chafing.gif
Views:	874
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	60150  
Old 08-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #44 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I have to fix mine this AM to go fly.... Mine is bad.. 1/2 cut through...

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine was cut through the insulation. I didn't have any Shoe Goo, so I used liquid electrical tape. Basically liquid vinyl.... I figured that is it's intended purpose.

One concern I have is that the gimbal mechnism contacts the wire some times when placed on the intended route. Anyone else notice that? You can feel the slightest bit of contact when flying. I guess i'll have to keep checking.
jutrast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #46 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutrast View Post
Mine was cut through the insulation. I didn't have any Shoe Goo, so I used liquid electrical tape. Basically liquid vinyl.... I figured that is it's intended purpose.

One concern I have is that the gimbal mechnism contacts the wire some times when placed on the intended route. Anyone else notice that? You can feel the slightest bit of contact when flying. I guess i'll have to keep checking.
I noticed that as well and I have not fixed anything yet. Radio is still laying here apart. I am trying to figure out a way to stop that pulling/contact and also make sure no chafing can occur again. I will revisit the radio after I finish the IRCHA Videos when I have some time.

I would be interested how you fixed it if you don't mind sharing Jutrast.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

I noticed too that the wires would still have tension on them if you did JRs fix. Post #40 is a picture of how I fixed mine.
B727AV8R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #48 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I fixed mine but I did grind down the regulator edge AND moved the wires per JR. The problem is not about the wires being pulled a little one way or the other. The problem is they are rubbing on the regulator on the back case circuit board and that reg has a VERY sharp edge! The hole the wires run through the plastic is not the culprit.

Bob
Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are probably twenty ways to skin this cat. Not being an electrical engineer, I really didnt want to do any grinding on the regulator. Just glad this problem was found before anyone crashed.
B727AV8R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There was a small nick out of mine and the missing piece of red insulation was still on the regulator. I don't think the problem is as much the edge of the regulator, but the top right corner of the regulator (with leads exiting bottom of regulator). I beveled mine and rounded that top corner.

I think the best fix would be to get a new regulator, leave the leads long and relocate the regulator to the left. In my rx, there's almost a 1/2" gap between the regulator and rf pack. Fireup's pics have the rf pack closer to the regulator than mine.

widower is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I checked mine out after getting back from vacation yesterday...

My red wire was chewed through the insulation, but no strands were broken yet.

Not liking the looks of the JR fix... I decided to take a slightly different approach. I used a sanding drum on my dremel to bevel the edge and corner of the regulator. I also mixed up a little 30minute epoxy and coated about a half inch of the wires with the epoxy to protect them.

[ SAB Goblin ][ Trex 450 Pro ]
Azlum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #52 (permalink)
T5

I checked my radio and had a diffrent kind of problem than you guys.
My wires were fine close to the gimbal, but further down the cable a small piece of insulation was missing.
It had scratched towards the soldering point on the circuit board.

Wierd thing is that my wire is longer than all I've seen so far on your photos.
My wire goes forward of the gimbal and loops back up, kinda looks it's supposed to be this way to keep clear of the chaffing problem you're experiencing.

Last edited by T5; 08-28-2008 at 11:33 AM..
T5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

sent my radio in last thursday and today it came back good as new, great service
sonofcar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #54 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Dang Carson that is pretty fast service! I would not have expected 1 week turn around!

The way you fly did they replace any stick pots too? It will say on the return slip what they did... Just curious...

Bob
Old 08-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #55 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcar View Post
sent my radio in last thursday and today it came back good as new, great service
That IS fast service. Awesome Spektrum.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default THIS MAY BE THE WORST I'VE SEEN

THIS MAY BE THE WORST I'VE SEEN!!

Here is what I found when opening my radio - I have over 100 flights with this radio. The red wire has a dozen or so wires cut through and the ones remaining show heavy cutting/chafing and would have been soon to follow! Check out the corner of the voltage regulaor and all the red insulation shavings/particles around it!I've sent it in for JR to replace the wire. On another note, I found something else disturbing when I was looking around inside - the yellow wire on the Left Hand trim lever that is on the side of the radio had a chafe/cut in it near the black plastic post next to it that looks like a screw should go in. There is no screw actually in this post, so I don't know if the case pinched it or if something else caused it. It may be an isolated case, I just wanted to give a heads up because there is probably somebody's radio with that same incident. I addressed this to JR also. I'm anxious to see what they do to it. When I get it back I'll open it up and see what there fix is and then probably do the fix that ultimate1 has. It seems to be the best from what I've seen. I will report back on what JR does to it.

For all of you wondering what to do, I found a pretty good answer that seems to leave no problems anywhere. Check out this link on RCU and scroll down on page 4 and see what ultimate1 did. He posted some great pics of his fix. No chafing, no binding, no stretching, no problems. -
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_78..._4/key_/tm.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic01.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	60912   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic02.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	60913   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic03.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	60914   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic04.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	60915   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic05.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	60916  

Name:	pic06.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	60917   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic07.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	60918  
chacy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #57 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Not the worst... Kevin has a pic of mine and it was down to 2 strands for the black wire! I have had my X9303 since November.

Bob
Old 08-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default radio change after repaired.

Like i said above i got my radio back sweet. Powered on my 700 and my servos were off(pitch ale) by about 1/8 turn from where it was. Strange i reset the head and now its good to go, going to have to do the same to my 600 and plane, they are the same way. thought i would pass that along. Get to fly my 700 tomorrowhavent flown it sence ircha.
sonofcar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #59 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Not the worst... Kevin has a pic of mine and it was down to 2 strands for the black wire! I have had my X9303 since November.

Bob
Hate to say it but the worst was the guy that had a failure while flying in the first place.

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #60 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Carson, with as much as you fly they probably replaced the pots on your sticks and recalibrated! Good on them they did this for sure! Usually after a recalibration like that you do have to recenter servos and such.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in