Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 03:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 83 carb

Dose anybody know what the best carb settings are for the walkera 83 need a little help.
bobbyra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats a difficult question because it depends on factors such as altitude, temperature, and fuel. Mine was fairly close out of the box. I wound up richening the high needle about 1/4 turn from factory settings and left the low needle where it was. I run wildcat 20% heli mix and seem to have it tuned pretty well. I was constantly landing and checking temps at first because I was worried I was doing it wrong as this was my first nitro heli. After some hard idle up punchouts it comes down around 190-195 degrees. I only fly in idle up on this heli because I didn't like the normal throttle and pitch curves and figured I wouldn't fly in normal much anyway. Some people have told me there wasn't enough smoke coming from the engine but I think tuning by temps is a better way. Keep in mind the motor is less than 1/3 the displacement of more common .50 size engines and thus moves 1/3 the air and fuel so smoke will be less than bigger helis. Mine uses up a tank in about 5 min and I think I still have some room to lean it out but I'm not too aggressive with this heli. Nice to meet someone else with an 83!
-Phillip Johnson, AMA #954735

Last edited by LegndarySaiyan; 04-28-2010 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: spelling
LegndarySaiyan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got all 50's and my hands look like a bunch of bananas so it is hard to work on for me .
Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I left the canopy off while tuning so i could reach the carb needles. I cant work through the little hole in the side either. I used an infrared temp gun as the most important tuning tool and even with banana hands you should be able to pull the trigger and point.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got it thank you.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

How does it fly compared to the 450 Electrics?
Mr.HillBilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can not say never flown a 450.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The biggest difference I notice is throttle isn't as sharp if your flying in normal mode, that is with the walkera. IDK why but my 83 hates normal mode, the engine just won't pick up speed and make power until I flip into idle up. I do all my flying in idle up anyways so I never spent much time working with normal. I can say when it was new it flew in normal fine. After I switched to idle up exclusively it doesnt want to go back to normal flight. Screws loosen up often on the nitro due to vibration. Even with thread lock during assembly I still check the really important screws prior to each flight. I really have grown to like this heli and for someone looking to get into nitro as cheap as possible it's the way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in