Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #61 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulss View Post
Can’t say I’m a big fan of this Devo…,don’t care for the TH on the other side
I don't know as mine is still in the mail, but with the 6 & 8, in the programing, can't you remap any switched action to any switch in there?

Quote:
Replacement parts are going to come from overseas so you will be waiting for a week or two to get things. And Batteries, can’t seem to find any locally, so I’m going to have to change the plugs on things and make do with what I can get here.
Currently ClubHeli here in the US has quite a lot of replacement parts for the 02S already as well as many other of the Walkera helos. And I believe he is going to be a steady supplier of the 02S parts and is expecting more in already. As well WowHobbies is very well known for parts although they don't seem to have any 02S stuff yet but for sure will. As far as the battery of course there are a few options but as far as local an now, I have herd that many are liking the M120's 850 packs for this helo. I believe they fit with no mods and as well have the same connector.

Quote:
Flying… It does fly well, mind you I’m only doing sport flying with it, but it does fly more like a Trex 250 rather than a McpX. The main reason I got this was to be able to go out in the front yard and get some flying in on short notice. It works great for that !
All in all it doesn’t seem like your typical Walkera heli. It’s a nice little bird, let’s see how long it holds up.
All in all I think there is always going to be a fine line between stability and performance. In a way, I really don't think you can completely have it both ways.

For example, I have had my TRex 450 for many years now set up to be very stable while I was really looking to hone my basics. I kept the Flybar weighs on, I used only wooden blades and used a good amount of D/R in the Tx. I kept my HS fairly low and all stuff like that and all in all, I could almost hover it hands off. And that was with a FB helo.

But this year as I was fairly secure in my flying, toward the end of the summer I was trying more 3D stuff and I know it had a lot to do with me, but my 450 the way it was, just was not the same as I saw other people's helos flying.

So I got rid of all the D/R and even increase my swash mix up a good amount. I put on top of the line CF blades and took off the FB weights and am running the HS up to the highest amount and its like a completely different helo now in that for sure, it will flip in a second (heck have even done it where I didn't even know I wasn't in idle up) but also for sure I cannot hover it hands off any more and I practically have to go through one or two packs of trimming depending on the field conditions that day to get it tuned to what's going on there just so I can get to be as stable as I can for that day.

And this variation is all on the exact same model of helo.

So my point is, it's usually a trade off, you want performance, you get less stability, you want stability, you get less performance. So depending on what you are going to want would probably be a good thing to think about in getting this helo.
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

@finless

Thank you for sending out an update. Just to know that you have been busy is understandable. I mean, I know your doing this on your own time! Also, I hope your Dad has a quick recovery.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I don't know as mine is still in the mail, but with the 6 & 8, in the programing, can't you remap any switched action to any switch in there?

You can map some but not all and not the TH.

Can you direct me where i might be able to get this M120 850 battery?

thanks
Soulss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #64 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
"I don't know as mine is still in the mail, but with the 6 & 8, in the programing, can't you remap any switched action to any switch in there?

You can map some but not all and not the TH.

Can you direct me where i might be able to get this M120 850 battery?

thanks
Wow that's a bummer, even on the 8 ?

So just for clarification, on the 8, these switches are natively reversed and you can't remap them both to the normally seen, "idle up on the left / TH on the right" way?

As far as the packs, just one thing to note, I have only read this so please check this out a bit before you buy, but WowHobbies looks like they have them in stock: http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-4g3-z-0...2-1-1-1-1.aspx as well as several other packs for the M120 if you check out its parts page that might fit.

For the most part if the M120 stock one fits, I would suspect that any other non-Walkera packs would work if made for the M120 as well.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Finless! Thank you for everything you do for us. I hope your Dad is feeling better, and have a Merry Christmas!
Richard F. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #66 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Odd the Devo 6 allowed you to remap the 2 switches no problem. You sure you cant on the 8? I was under the impression the software on the 6, 8, and 12 are the same just added features above the 6. See my vid on where I swapped the switches in the menus and let me know if that is not an option on the 8.

On my devo7 it is not an option and I will be moving them by taking it apart and soldering.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

you can only remap a couple of the switches on the Devo 8, just as if it were a Devo 6..

Flight mode can only be switched to mix switch
Throttle hold can be switched to FMOD, MIX SW, ELEV D/R, AILE D/R, RUDD D/R, or Gear SW.

ELEV, GEAR, AILE, and RUDDER (1 way switches) cannot be remapped to anything.
sebo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-techie View Post
Whelp... looks like there is going to be a delay on the blades I ordered.

Got an email today stating that their manufacturer hasn't released them yet. Question is.. if you don't have it available, then why allow to place an order?

And the site has this:

This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 10 November, 2011.

Which makes it confusing to know to place an order thinking you can get it. Not that I have anything planned, but it just makes shopping that much more frustrating. Most online sites I go to don't have the add to cart button if it is not in stock. I went back to oomodel.com and they still allow to order, but not stating if in stock, which I think will piss people off, especially when they think they should get their stuff at a particular time.
Got my V120D02 S blades the other day. Same length, but width is smaller by almost 1/4 inch (by eye). Did a test hover and seems to hover like usual. I was thinking I'd have a lil problem since I know my 250's act different from going plastic blades to CF blades. So they seem stiff enough as well as flexible, which is totally cool with me.

Haven't crashed it yet to see if it helps out on the main shaft. But I think I should have the same chance as a V120D02 S version, since it has a metal shaft that looks identical.

CF blade weighed 4.6 grams, and the plastic came in at 4.4 grams.

Man... I ordered some more stuff from that online shop on Dec 2nd. They send me an email on the 12th stating they don't have the 4F200 blades now.

And I was thinking... now? On the 12th, when I place my order on the 2nd? Still hasn't shipped yet. Not so sure if I want to order anything from that sight, since they allow the order when they actually don't have it.

But... that was my update.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whelp... scratch that. My V120D05 had a crash.. and the main shaft was bent, using the plastic D02 main blades. Unless it's the plastic head that may help, I think the only real way to avoid a bent main shaft is to have a non metal main shaft... like the Genius heli.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #70 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Wow, your the first person I have herd that bent a main shaft.

I'm not sure who the guy is but I have seen one poster over at the RCG thread who was talking about making up some of what he describes as unbendable metal shafts.

From reading his stuff and others, I gather he has been making these for some of the other Walkera helos that were more prone to having shafts bend and they worked pretty much as he described.

Again off hand I don't know who he is but I just remember him asking if anyone wanted the same for the 02S's and he would make them, but I never saw much talk about it after that as no one seems to be bending them.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
Wow, your the first person I have herd that bent a main shaft.

I'm not sure who the guy is but I have seen one poster over at the RCG thread who was talking about making up some of what he describes as unbendable metal shafts.

From reading his stuff and others, I gather he has been making these for some of the other Walkera helos that were more prone to having shafts bend and they worked pretty much as he described.

Again off hand I don't know who he is but I just remember him asking if anyone wanted the same for the 02S's and he would make them, but I never saw much talk about it after that as no one seems to be bending them.
I'm not flying an orginal V120D02 S. I'm just using the plastic main blade on my D02 and D05.

I should mention, that I did bend those shafts before, and bent them back so I don't have massive vibration out of them.

And I don't see what the difference would be, as far as the main shaft being better on the D02 S version. The only other difference, the S version uses a plastic head, while both my D02 and D05 are metal.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #72 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yeah I'm not really sure myself either as one, I don't have any past Walkeras to look at, and Bah Humbugg but my 02S seems to be parked in the NYC customs depot and looking like I won't get it till after the holidays.

But from what I've read and I don't know for sure, but is the 02S's main shaft a little bigger?

At any rate, as I mentioned, I have been following the thread on RCG for this helo and guys have been plowing this thing full force into trees, and complete crashes into the ground into cement, and I haven't read any reports that I can recall of main shafts being bent.

But if its one thing I can say from downing my 450 is that every crash it diff and there is always something new that breaks or gets bent on every crash.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well then... I might buy a S version main shaft to compare to the older one.

Not much of a price difference from Wowhobbies website.

The S version is $4.25 (includes collar) while the reg D02 is $3.95 (does not have collar), D05 shaft is $5.25 (includes collar). And the so called "Stay-True upgrade Main Shaft" is a whopping $23.95.

So... I'm just putting 1+1 together.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #74 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-techie View Post
Well then... I might buy a S version main shaft to compare to the older one.

Not much of a price difference from Wowhobbies website.

The S version is $4.25 while the reg D02 is $3.95. And the so called "Stay-True upgrade Main Shaft" is a whopping $23.95.

So... I'm just putting 1+1 together.
Wow that's how much he gets for those, ouch.

Well hope the S version is of some better use for you.

Again, don't know this stuff by having it in my hands, but I do recall in looking at the diff's of the main gear, that in looking at the pics, it looked like the ID of the shaft hole in the gear was noticeably bigger then then whole in the gear of the regular 02 or the M120's gear.

Actually one of the things I do already have is a spare 02S main gear and I just checked that and it seems to be about a 2.45mm ID, if that is of any help to you.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Again, don't know this stuff by having it in my hands, but I do recall in looking at the diff's of the main gear, that in looking at the pics, it looked like the ID of the shaft hole in the gear was noticeably bigger then then whole in the gear of the regular 02 or the M120's gear.

Actually one of the things I do already have is a spare 02S main gear and I just checked that and it seems to be about a 2.45mm ID, if that is of any help to you.
I measured my spare shafts for the D02 and D05. They are both 2mm diameter, but the D05 is longer, and there is no upgrade for that bird, it also uses a belt rather TT.

I'd actually would have to have the main shaft to really compare.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #76 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yeah I'm not really sure in this but I think I remember seeing that the 02S's shaft is 2.5m while the 02's was 2.

Hard to believe that .5m would make that much dif so perhaps the metal is dif too, but again, not seeing reports so far that it's bending much.

But then again, I haven't gotten my hands on mine yet so that very well could something that completely changes.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

The stay true at Wow are made by Procrasher on RCG. They are well worth the price because they are almost unbendable. I haven't bent mine, and it's been through a lot of crashes. This is with my D02. He will be making shafts for the D02S which he says are not going to bend. These are Photos of my Xtreme V120D02/S. It's a blast

regards, JLB01
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elli & Heli 033.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	275505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elli & Heli 036.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	275506  
jlb01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb01 View Post
The stay true at Wow are made by Procrasher on RCG. They are well worth the price because they are almost unbendable. I haven't bent mine, and it's been through a lot of crashes. This is with my D02. He will be making shafts for the D02S which he says are not going to bend. These are Photos of my Xtreme V120D02/S. It's a blast

regards, JLB01
Whats up? The main & feathering shafts on the D02S doesn't bend like the other because of it being thicker which is great.Hay I was having problems with the 215 motor seemed like it was dragging but realized the motor screws where to long an once switched to shorter ones it was a rocket sometimes just the simple things can make a difference. I like your heli that is one mean looking heli sweet. I will see you on rcgroups. Merry Christmas. p.s. the sun is coming out got to go do some flying!
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, nice beginning to this series. I hope your dad is doing better and you had a nice holiday this year.

I have one of these Walkera machines also - the v120D05 - pretty much the same as the 02 but with a belt drive tail instead of torque tube. Being that it was my third heli after farting around with the Blades (mSR then SR), this thing ran like a finely oiled sewing machine in comparison. Very nice right out of the box.

Well, being a total newb at this and still getting the hang of hovering, I smacked it into the pavement - not too bad but I had some repairs to do. I broke one of the plastic swash driver arms and bent the main shaft and messed up some teeth on the main gear. Talk about a PITA to fix - the head and main gear are held in with friction pins instead of screws so that took some thinking to figure our how to get it apart and back together without damage.
Anyway, once i had it back together every time I would spin it up and go to lift off it would roll over to one side or the other and would not fly. I got frustrated and shelved it for the last 6 months or so. After finding your vids out here on this and the Genius, they helped me figure out that I needed to bring down my control ranges so that it wouldn't be so twitchy and voila! It's flying again.
Unfortunately I bought this before they offered that slick new radio you have been playing with. Mine came with the WK-2603 that Walkera seems to want to use with most of their kits. Talk about an alien way of thinking - the only setup vids that I've found that go into any detail are in Japanese! (Maybe it's Chinese - I dunno - but I can't understand it either way).
So, my question is, would there be any chance that you could get hold of one of these older radios and go through the setup on this thing? I think I'm beginning to figure it out but I end up with more questions than answers and there's no one around that can answer them.
ProtoDewd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

man this place Rocks.....
Torque64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in