Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default General questions about power system for AP

Hello,
i would like to use t-rex 600 ESP for aero photography.
As I have no previous experience in making such pictures and configuring a heli like this, can you please give me some recommendations for the following elements:

- generally .. which is the best power system? .. with more 'mAh' or with more 'V'(S) ?
(I saw that some people are using 12S .. but how?)

which Align stock motors is the most suitable: 600L, XL or 650?

for example: if I use Align 650L 1220 KV

1220 x 3.7 x 12 x 0.8 = 43 334.4 RPM

43 334.4 / gear ratio (GR) = 1800 (head speed)

GR = 24.07
GR = 170 / T Pinion

170T / 24.07 = 7,06

So, the pinion would be: 7 T ?!

or for Align 600L 1620 KV

1620 x 3.7 x 12 x 0.8 = 57 542.4 RPM
GR = 31.968
T = 5,31

So, the pinion would be: 5T ?!!!

where do I make a mistake?

THANK YOU
master_sas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...ght=600e+setup

I guess start here, this stuff is a massive learning curve. I wanted to use my trex600 as well.

You need to go to the trex600 forum. You will find all the motor battery setups you need.

Weight is a consideration You just asked a really broad question. I did that too! I found you really got to search the forums on AP work. Just start searching and reading. I thought setting up a heli was complex.

After researching, right now I want a bergen rc camera setup or a Caliber 90 zg with a 26cc gas motor. Do a lot of searching. Check out that forum, I hope it helps.
fuelfan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can use the 600 but I would go with a different motor than the stock Align. I am new to A/P but I have been reading for quite a while.

So....the Trex 600 will work. You will have short flight times and if it gets into trouble you may not be able to autorotate due to the weight of the payload.
Now that doesnt mean you cant use the 600, but just like all hobbies you will eventually want something bigger and better. but in the mean time go with a Neu motor. you want the longest flight times so you will want to slow your headspeed down in comparison to a Trex 600 set up for 3d. so look for a lower KV rating. You can also use a differnt pinion gear so your headspeed is lower. Lower head speed =longer flight time=more video/pics shot per flight
You will want ( I didnt say need, just want) a larger ESC. Castle HV110 seems to be popular for this use, but you can run your stock ESC untill it burns up (if it does).

Adding the mount and camera increase the payload so the helicopter works harder. This puts stress on the motor, esc, and the bearings.

But if you are like me you want to spend money on your mount, av downlink, monitor, second radio ect and you already have a heli that flies so use it for now

You can improve the 600 by streching it- put a 700 torque drive unit on it and bigger blades. The bigger blades will lower the headspeed and give more lift. More lift will help if you have to auto rotate.

So, start with the 600 just keep in mind you will want to upgrade at some point. Take the heli you have put the camera on it and start with low flight times.After a couple of flights you will know how much charge you are puting back into your batteries so if the batteries are strong after say 3 minutes of flight bump it up to 3.5 minutes and check, then 4 ect. t some point you will know how long you can fly with the heli you have. If the flight time is ok with you then the 600 will be fine.

Yeah, most people here would rather have a trex700,maxi-joker, bergen , or lots of other type of heli's but then again I would like a Sony Ex1 to put on my heli but thats not gonna happen so I run with what I have
splitboarder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use my 600e with good results. Depends greatly on what you want to accomplish. What is your payload?
I'm running the 600xl at 6s. Up and down in less than 5 minutes in most cases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in