Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tonys-heli

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Problems setting up cyclic

Recently came into possession of a Trex 500 DFC Pro. This is not my first heli build. I have build and flown trex 450 helis before.

At this point I have completed the build but notice when giving aileron inputs, the right aileron seem to deflect more than the left one by about 1.5 degrees.

My aileron and pitch servo arms are not set perpendicular (set them up the best I can) to the frame and are at a slight offset angle to each other. Could this be the cause of the difference?

I am really scratching my head over this one. Could someone help me out?
gpang788 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

what tx and fbl?
did you go through the setup in the fbl?
did you set the cyclic control rods to 90 deg in your setup menu and zero your pitch links at half stick?
same travel in the tx for cyclic?
Old 11-25-2019, 04:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am using a Futaba T8J + Spirit FBL

Yes completed the setup in the FBL as per the instructions. Swash levelled with leveller.

Cyclic control rods set to roughly 90 deg and pitch links zeroed at half stick

Pictures below are taken with throttle perfectly centred

https://ibb.co/8x0sjjw
https://ibb.co/phPkyy2
https://ibb.co/dkXM7dH

Last edited by gpang788; 11-25-2019 at 07:01 AM..
Old 11-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
At this point I have completed the build but notice when giving aileron inputs, the right aileron seem to deflect more than the left one by about 1.5 degrees.
How are you measuring this ? Aileron action is observed / measured on the cyclic pitch range setting.phase.

Blades parallel to the boom, so technically there is no left or right unless you'd call the rear (advancing) blade left and the front (receding) blade right.

Having said that, when measuring cyclic pitch I've had instances when the two blades are not alike in their CYCLIC pitch readings and has not affected any. I measure by the one above the boom.

Quote:
My aileron and pitch servo arms are not set perpendicular (set them up the best I can) to the frame and are at a slight offset angle to each other. Could this be the cause of the difference ?
As long as your swashplate is leveled through the range and most importantly at mid-stick you shouldn't have any problems.

Quote:
I am really scratching my head over this one. Could someone help me out ?
From your pictures, the right side servo arm seems to be sitting higher. Again, no big deal as long as the swashplate travels leveled. When leveling the swashplate with a swash leveler tool you'd want to look for any "light" .......yes light, between the tool and the swash prongs.

As minute a detail it does matter. If you have a light gap in more than one prong, then correct the opposite till the other two close gap. It's called rule the odd man out.

Your buckles / links are regular ones, as opposed to turnbuckles. Regular buckles are finicky given that adjustments are always a full turn away. Which as good as it gets it's never like the fine tuning of turnbuckles.

My hat's off to you......DFC heads are a PITA to set Zero pitch. Guess that's why Align no longer promotes them in new kits.

T8J is a great little radio, I had one for years and it's awesome, it's currently my sim radio.

Hope this helps some.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

that's some good info felix
but it all looks good to me.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix the cat View Post
How are you measuring this ? Aileron action is observed / measured on the cyclic pitch range setting.phase.
I measured them with a digital guage by deflecting the aileron stick side to side. Guess that's not the right way haha...now I know...

Quote:
Blades.....unless you'd call the rear (advancing) blade left and the front (receding) blade right.
Yes, that's what I mean.

Quote:
Having said that, when measuring cyclic pitch I've had instances when the two blades are not alike in their CYCLIC pitch readings and has not affected any. I measure by the one above the boom.
Yes this is what I notice in mine too. There seems to be a fair amount of difference, even though the swashplate is level, as you can see in the pics below:

Quote:
As long as your swashplate is leveled through the range and most importantly at mid-stick you shouldn't have any problems.
Good to know. Guess I will ignore the difference above.

Just did a brief test hover today. I notice that at about 1/4 - 1/3 throttle, the blades seem to misalign a little causing slight vibrations Otherwise, they track good. Not sure what's causing the misalignment though? Should I investigate further or should I just leave it at that and go fly?

Last edited by gpang788; 11-25-2019 at 10:35 AM..
Old 11-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just did a brief test hover today. I notice that at about 1/4 - 1/3 throttle, the blades seem to misalign a little causing slight vibrations Otherwise, they track good. Not sure what's causing the misalignment though? Should I investigate further or should I just leave it at that and go fly?
Still on the ground right ? If so, it could very well be ground resonance. Cut-off main blades are awesome for pitch readings aren't they ? I use them all the time.

Bring it up into a hover, blades at eye level, if sharp and tracked, ENJOY !

Chinook ground resonance - back (0 min 39 sec)
Old 11-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

when doing the setup, mark one blade and use that, set zero pitch and track the other blade to that. or what I do is, once out of the setup menu, find your marked blade, go to half stick and set your pitch gauge on it, while blade is over boom, and get zero again, then take it off, rotate the head carefully and put it on the other blade and read the gauge.. zero that blade and then they should track perfect.
other than that, I don't mess with checking the other blade for anything as long as it tracks fine.
BgSkyFlyr likes this.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you swap the pitch gauge between blades, do you re-zero it? If not, it will give different readings.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2019, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
When you swap the pitch gauge between blades, do you re-zero it? If not, it will give different readings.
I usually don't cause I move it very little during the swap. but I have re-zeroed it as well, with the same results.. dead on tracking.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
Never occurred to me to do that. Will try it out
Old 11-26-2019, 03:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Still on the ground right ? If so, it could very well be ground resonance.
Resonance on 2 blades, possible?

Quote:
Cut-off main blades are awesome for pitch readings aren't they ?
Absolutely Felix

Last edited by gpang788; 11-26-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in