Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is it really this tough, or just me?

So, I bought a built but never flown, just needs motor, radio gear, helicopter off of E-bay (yes I know, save those comments), and it turns out the builder didn't understand thread-lock, bearing grease, measuring, and other such things.

Bare in mind, this is a Century Hawk II, (was not an accurate E-bay listing) and I am now told it is about 12 to 15 years old. I am installing an OS-37H engine, and using my Futaba T7C radio.

So, I searched the internet trying to find a legible, not miss-highlighted, shredded, goobered up mess of an instruction book for this bird, but to no avail. So I decided to just work with the one I had. I proceeded to totally dismantle it right down to kit form, and start over. Not too big of an ordeal, till I get to the linkage parts, and such.

First, I can not for the life of me figure out how to get the rudder control arm to get from point A to point B without rubbing here and there, the instructions show mounting the rudder with the elevator and collective servos. I am thinking I should just get a tail mount set up and kit bash it. but is this a good idea?

Second: The throttle linkage will not line up with the engine horn with out putting a z bend in the rod, not shown anywhere in the instructions, and the aftermarket part I bought will not close down tight enough to trap the throttle.

Third: I got a remote glow plug adapter, thinking this would eliminate having to take the canopy off every time I started the engine, but it turns out its nothing more than a Jesus clip soldered to a piece of wire on one end, and another glow plug mounted to a plate on the other. Doesn't this have to be mounted to the engine somewhere in order to create the ground path? And if so, where is the better/best place to put it?

Fourthly: I have been flying on the sim now for about a year, got it to work on my airplane flying, but found it was way too boring, so tried a helicopter, and low and behold, now I'm spending money on another new hobby, much to my wife's cringe, (sorry, got sidetracked) and I am wondering if I should install the gyro and digital servo, or if I should first learn by using revo mixing? I have a Futaba 401 and servo, just throwing a question out there.
Slwagner73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm no expert, but why would you not use the gyro technology now it is available, especially as you have it on the bench? Personally I think the hobby is hard enough without making it even more difficult.
wocka_wocka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

^agree

Revo mix and a good hh gyro are both there to basically do the same thing, compensate for varying torque. No reason the way I see it not to use the best unless you want to see what flying helis was like in the 70's where a successful flight was one that did not end in total destruction and preferably one that lasted more than a minute. I for one tip my hat for the guys who did learn in those days and the skill level involved but I am really appreciative I don't have to. Modern simulators and HH, I can't comprehend how much better off we are now but I and my wallet sure appreciate it.
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Definitely use the gyro.

If unsure about the servo out on the tail test mount it with some tape and see if the thing balances on the main shaft. There are two reasons for having a front mount servo, one is centre of gravity, the other is keeping the servo away from the exhaust fumes which are really oily on a nitro bird.

You may be using a different size of servo horn on the throttle. As long as you get a full swing of the carb barrel you are golden, bend away...

Get two pieces of wire a red and a black, One end of the black goes to the engine mount, this should have a washer on it. The red clips into the inside of the dummy plug and the croc clip goes over the pointed part of the plug.

If both sides are terminated correctly you can mount anywhere you like. Outside of canopy or back towards the rear so it doesn't interfere with canopy removal.

Hope this helps
/Steve
stevec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 401 is a great gyro, there is no need to get a different one until you outgrow the heli. Just because there is newer technology doesn't mean that applies to you.

The great thing about those that "need" the latest and greatest is that they spend their money and sell you the gyro at a discount in a few months.

If you need a manual, go to the century site, they have it there. If you don't find it, call them. Don't e-mail, actually make a phone call. E-mail means it isn't important to you.
Calling them will also give you the opportunity to talk to someone who knows that heli.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in