Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 14MZ and Throttle Jockey Pro

Hi folks,

I have as of yet be unsuccessful in setting this combo up. It is installed correctly and the sensor recognizes the magnet but the TJ igores any switch I set up for channel 7 (default governor channel). If I go into the functions menu and set the governor channel as aux 1 then I can assign a switch that it will respond to but then it will not engage when spooled up. Any one have any luck setting on of these up so that I can take advantage of the built in governor functions of the 14MZ?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan MacKay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

copied from MA site.

Before activating the TJ, set up your heli normally with the pitch and throttle curves you would use under normal circumstances. This will ensure that should the sensor fail and the TJ reverts to transmitter throttle curves that the heli still behaves normally until a landing can be accomplished. Also ensure that this setup allows the heli to hover at your desired stick position (1/2 or ¾ as preferred) for each flight mode. The engine should be run-in and correct mixtures set.

You must switch the governor function to any of the following channels: 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, or 12 and plug the AUX lead of the TJ into the one selected.

You can do this under the "FUNCTION" menu.

Also select a switch to "control" that channel. Do not select E right now. use A,B,C, or D

Verify under "SERVO MONITOR" that the channel is going from high to low (+100 to -100) while toggling the selected switch.

Make sure a linear curve is set for normal flight mode(0%-100%).

Have throttle ATV's as close to 100/100 as possible.

With the throttle stick low, turn on RX and quickly toggle selected switch from position 1 to position 3 rapidly twice: up-center-down-center-up-center-down-center-up.

LED will flash rapidly showing calibration mode is on, move throttle stick high(yellow LED) then throttle stick low(green LED). Toggle switch once and LED will go out.

You can now put the throttle curve points back to what they were before and select sw(E) for the GOVENOR channel under "FUNCTION" and under "control" column.

Go to GOVERNOR 2 screen under MODEL MENU.

For RATE1, change ACT to ON instead of INH and change GROUP to SNGL and select sw(E) for all Flight modes.(must make these changes after selecting each flight mode with sw(E) and also the switch for Throttle hold.

Verify that 50% on RATE(default value) will keep the green LED off for each flight mode with the throttle above 25%.

Any value above 52% will enable the TJ.

We are now going to determine values to enter for specific head speeds using a SkyTach
spruce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can't get it by those I can help. I did the one on my 12 with no problems. Send me a PM if you still need help and I will give you a call or something.
SteveL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2006, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

SteveL ,,, I sent you a PM

Thanks
helidude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2006, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I was out today and thought that I might have had it but I never had a chance to see these posts before I went. The TJ never responded to what I had done so I will give this a try. Unfortunately I won't be able to get back at it for a couple of weeks as I am away on business but will give it a shot when I get back. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dan
Old 11-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Replied to PM and Dan just let us know if you need some help.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Now I am at my wits end. There is not way that I can find to get this thing into calibration mode. I followed the instructions above to a tee and still no luck. When I get the fourth item above I get no input at all for channel 10 (which I changed the governor function to, plugged the TJ Aux into and selected switch A) until I go back to the governor menu and change INH to On and select switch A. Then the servo monitor will only register 0/-100 if I leave the Switch position to OFF/ON/OFF. I changed to toggle position to OFF/ON/ON and get the same result. I changed to to ON/OFF/ON and will get -100/0/+100 but when I try to get the TJ to calibrate and toggle twice I only get a brief single flash and nada after that. I suspect it is because I cannot figure out how to go from -100 to +100 cleanly with the switch. After I set up the AUX channel is set four above did you miss a set by not going back to the governor channel and enabling the switch or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

SteveL should be able to talk you right thru the process. When he got his 12Z I had never set up a TJ on the 12 or 14. Steve and me sit there and in about 15 mins had the TJ setup and running. As I have CRS ( Can't remember sh!t) unless I have done it several times. Steve should be able to tell you the exact sequence to get the TJ setup on your 14. The process should be the same as both radio use basically the same software.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 02:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok I will explain my method here for record

First go into FUNCTION and set up Gov 1 to any channel I use 7 so don’t believe you can’t
Set switch to NULL
Set the ATVs of that Channel to 95 95
I use normal mode to set up all my GOVs so I leave a flat 0-100 Pitch curv. (I have had sensors let go and just grab hold)
Go to GOV menu
First thing to do is set all modes (IE… NORMAL, IDLE1, HOLD) to SINGLE
Put the Radio in NORMAL Mode
Set RATE 1 ACTIVE RATE 0 Switch SC Position ON OFF OFF (You can use whatever switch you want but remember this is just for calibration purposes)
Set Rate 2 ACTIVE RATE 100 Switch SC Position OFF OFF ON.
Put the switch at the top and throttle at the bottom
Turn on the heli and once the receiver boots flip the SC switch twice
Move the throttle from bottom to top and back.
Flip the switch one more time and you are calibrated.
You should now green a green light when you push the throttle up.
Go back into GOV menu
Put RATE 1 at a sensible # I usually start @ 75 but it depends on gear ratio.
Place switch on RATE 1 to NULL
Put RATE 2 to INH
Set your RATE 1 to active in all MODES and set a sensible number (Key here is to remember 50% is off and 0 and 100 are ballistic, so be sure to set it to 50 in HOLD so your GOV will turn off.)

If this does not help send me a PM and I will give you a call.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

GREAT info Steve!! Thank you!!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm trying to set up a TJ Pro on my 14MZ, but so far without luck. I followed Steves's excellent instructions to the letter, but the TJ won't calibrate no matter what.
My setup is according to Steve's instruction 100% to the letter.

Funny thing is that something is happening, because after applying the procedures and raising the throttle stick above say 20 % the throttle servo starts kicking and jerking violently. AND it will keep doing this at any of the switch positions.

Any suggestions?

KR/Henrik
MSH Protos "Monsterheli", HDX-450
hookmaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One important thing that tripped me up once that I have not seen mentioned.
The 14 is set up with 2 banks of channels.
Bank 1 is channels 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 13
Bank 2 is channels 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 14
The throttle channel and the govs aux channel MUST be in different banks. which is in which bank doesn't matter as long as they are not in the same bank.

When you turn on the RX you must wait for it to boot up before you flip the switch on the TX, I can tell this by moving one or more of the servos off center and when they recenter the RX is on. You must then flip the TX switch within the first 2 seconds after RX boot-up.

At the step of moving the throttle up then down, If you leave the stick down the TJ will be set for a standard servo and give a green light, if the switch is left up the TJ will be in a High frame rate mode with a yellow light. ONLY use HIGH FRAME RATE with a DIGITAL servo that can handle it or it WILL burn out the servo.

If you go to the Model Avionics website there is a section for setting up the 14MZ.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jeff, Appreciate the feedback. Will give it a try.

/Henrik
Old 11-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Jeff,
I did not know this was an issue back when I posted this but I had the exact problem with one of the guys at the field. I now recommend using CH10 for a 14ch receiver. I just forgot to update my post.
Thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got it Guys, thanks very much - realy appreciate it! Set my governor (aux on TJ Pro) on channel 10 and it works perfectly.

/Henrik
Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Angry TJ Pro problems now on 2,4GHz

OK, I'm back:

After upgrading my 14MZ I'm again trying to setup a TJ Pro governor - WITH NO LUCK!!

I tried having initial calibration problems before, and used the excellent advice in this thread with success, so I hope it can be done again:

Here´s what I have:

14MZ 2,4
608 Receiver