Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System

Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System Thunder Tiger GT5 Flybarless Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I finally found a GT-5.1V2 and 5.2 in stock!

I can't tell exactly how much the unit is but here is the link. If anyone can figure it out.
http://www.rc-profimodel.com/en-deta...gt-5-1-v2.html

I believe this gyro has a shot at being the best FBL system in the world one day if they stay after it and keep improving it. To me its worth a lot not to have to have a PC connection already. It is a Bonus to be able to use a PC in the house during initial setup because its easier to see and navigate faster through the program although its not needed. The GT 5 reminds me of a tiny TV sitting on my EXI 450.

Also I like that all the expos are controlled in the radio. That's one thing that kind of turns me off about the Skookum SK 540, the tail expo has to be adjusted on PC. Its not a deal breaker for me just a bummer.

Of course we all know that once these things get set up to our liking they tend to stay that way for a long time. So some things are not that big a deal once they are tweaked.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 12-29-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Here is the GT-5.2 for sale
http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/th...axis-gyro.html

I believe the 5.1V2 is supposed to have the same hardware but not sure.
237.27 US dollars. Thats the most they've ever been.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 12-29-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Old 12-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tower hobbies did a price drop on the 5.1 so the 5.2 can't be far off. According to tt some of the 5.1s have version 2 harware. I ordered a 5.1 in hopes that it has the 2.0 hardware. The 5.2 software is available for version 1 hardware so either way I'm sure it will be good. Can't wait to try it!

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
Tower hobbies did a price drop on the 5.1 so the 5.2 can't be far off. According to tt some of the 5.1s have version 2 harware. I ordered a 5.1 in hopes that it has the 2.0 hardware. The 5.2 software is available for version 1 hardware so either way I'm sure it will be good. Can't wait to try it!

That must be the ones they are calling GT-5.1V2's then?

The GT-5 was my first FBL controller. My original went bad after many many flights and now I have the 5.1 and they have really worked great I bought both of them barely used, barely even touched reallyt

. With analog servos I still have to make some tiny corrections around center stick but not near as much as when it was a FB heli. My 450 flips very extremely quick yet its smooth around center stick with Expo added in my DX7. I run 11 pitch and 10 on cyclic.

Do the 5.1's benefit much from the update or is that just a software update in the GT 5 menu's? I understand the program is supposed to be a bit more simplified. I guess I'd have to see it. It never was that complicated anyhow. It differs from the Beastx in that you can change so many different things in there that you can actually screw it up to where it won't even fly. Whereas the BeastX has a bunch of pretty much fool proof working setups to choose from from beginner to expert levels.

I also love the BeastX on my Trex 550 it flies amazingly well in every area.

The GT-5 flies a lot like a BeastX but has a lot more tunability plus the cool on board LCD monitor.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think some retailers knew that the newer 5.1's had 2.0 hardware and were calling it the v2. I don't think thunder tiger themselves called it a v2 (Or maybe thunder tiger europe did... can't recall).

TT Asia simply says that GT5 is always v1 hardware, GT5.2 is always v2 hardware and that some GT5.1 are v1 and seme are v2. Just have to wait and see what I get. (I got lucky and hit some kind of sale at Tower, my GT5.1 was $139 and now it's back up to $185)

As far as the software goes, I've been told that the 5.2 software is much better for setup, and I've been told that the GT5.2 is much more stable and smoother to fly... however I'm not sure if the person who told me that was flying on v1 or v2 hardware...

I've never had a GT5 (of any kind) before to compare it too.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its says at Towerhobbies that the mems sensors are 500 degrees per second just like the 5.2's that I found at the other location.

I thought someone said that the sensors were supposed to be like 1000 degrees per second which would put them at double the GT-5.1 sensor speeds.

I hate towerhobbies website by the way. Such a pain to find anything.

Where exactly can you get the update and the new manual?
I had the link and lost it.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 12-29-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey I found the update and the 5.2 Manual here.
http://www.thundertiger.com/downloads.php
If you look at the 5.2 Manual spec, it says the sensors are 1000 degrees per second. Thats not what I found on the website that has the new 5.2 in stock though, it says 500 degrees per second mems sensors. So which is it?

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 12-29-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Old 12-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's 1000, the web site may have just cut and pasted the specs.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's great Hexexperience! I've not seen any of the other FBL units with their Mem sensor speed mentioned in specs so really dont know how it compares to others. It has to be fast though.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro View Post
That's great Hexexperience! I've not seen any of the other FBL units with their Mem sensor speed mentioned in specs so really dont know how it compares to others. It has to be fast though.
I have those specs (deg/sec) for a few controllers:

Futaba CGY750 1200
Robird G31 2000
BD-3SX 500
NAZA-H 450

Can't find listings for Vbar or Brain.

Looks like the new GT5.2 was upgraded to 1000 from 500 in the GT5.1
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, but keep in mind that the 5.x is the software version. Some of the units marked 5.1 have the 2.0 hardware. All GT units can be upgraded to 5.2 software.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The GT-5.2 Manual says its 1000 degrees per second mems.

Hey Kingfisher, how does the GT-5.2 spec compare to all those gyros you mentioned?

How does the GT-5 fly compared to those gyros you mentioned.

I found the 5.2 at fastlad as well for 233 US dollars. They are starting to hit the stores. Should see them in the US soon.
http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/thun...9-p-27133.html
Old 02-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys, just finished setting up my GT5 on a Trex 450 Pro. Only hovered yet but all seems perfect! As a noob I can say that setting up the unit was absolutely the hardest part of the build. From links and knowladge posted around this thread I've learned the massive amount needed to successfully setup this controller and sure the knowalage will benifit me in future.

My question is, can anyone confirm that its possible to update the software on the normal GT5 to version 5.2 and maybe point me in the right direction?
Polartip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 05:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polartip View Post
Hey guys, just finished setting up my GT5 on a Trex 450 Pro. Only hovered yet but all seems perfect! As a noob I can say that setting up the unit was absolutely the hardest part of the build. From links and knowladge posted around this thread I've learned the massive amount needed to successfully setup this controller and sure the knowalage will benifit me in future.

My question is, can anyone confirm that its possible to update the software on the normal GT5 to version 5.2 and maybe point me in the right direction?

It is possible, you have to have the Spartan USB/gyro interface and download the update from TT. I don't want to spend the money and shipping for a dongle to do it myself. I'll just wait for the new gyro.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It is possible, you have to have the Spartan USB/gyro interface and download the update from TT. I don't want to spend the money and shipping for a dongle to do it myself. I'll just wait for the new gyro.
Thanks Blade... Perhaps we can share a dongle between a few members owners. Would really only like to have the failsafe/brown out safety. I mean, we'd only really need to update once and sure the hardware would also change on next versions. After getting to know the interface I have to say I really like it. Lets hope TT keeps up the good work, would love to see a bail and auto level on this!

Another quick question, using spektrum satellites and dx9. Which channel would i use for my tx gyro gain?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure about the DX9 but I would think you could use 5,7,8 or 9. In my DX7 I use channel 5 gear channel. I could use channel 7 If I wished.

Hey look in your new model setup page and see what the options are for controlling your gyro gain. Or look it up in the manual. I use channel 5 gear / gyro and then free up the gear switch by using the rudder switch to toggle gyro gains from 96 to 100.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Quote:
I'm not sure about the DX9 but I would think you could use 5,7,8 or 9. In my DX7 I use channel 5 gear channel. I could use channel 7 If I wished.

Hey look in your new model setup page and see what the options are for controlling your gyro gain. Or look it up in the manual. I use channel 5 gear / gyro and then free up the gear switch by using the rudder switch to toggle gyro gains from 96 to 100.
Sorted me out thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Sorted me out thanks!
Which channel did you end up with?
Old 02-22-2014, 02:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, duplicated to channel 7, not sure, but it might be different if using a full receiver. I'm using dual satellites.

Been dialing mine in, maxed out P with I 10 points lower on both swash and tail. cnat seem to excite any wobble or tail shakes. onto piro behavior I guess.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey, duplicated to channel 7, not sure, but it might be different if using a full receiver. I'm using dual satellites.

Been dialing mine in, maxed out P with I 10 points lower on both swash and tail. cnat seem to excite any wobble or tail shakes. onto piro behavior I guess.
I've not been able to get much wag out of the tail using GT-5's.
I did have a couple months worth of frustration getting the wobble out of the head after going to higher head speeds. I think the worst thing I had wrong was too much swash P and I gain.

I also found the Mini Titan 325 stock gyro settings and used those as base settings to start over with and that fixed my problems. Not to mention all the GT default settings are listed in there as well which I had not seen anywere. I set all else to default. I have since set the tail dead band to 125 max as Gary Wright suggests doing in the tail gain paramater down near the bottom of the menu and bumped up tail gains until I see some bounce backs here and there and back it off a little. I've never actually seen a wag out of the GT-5 gyro. Perhaps if the servo arm was out a good bit I would see it but don't care to try it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in