Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default What makes the best flying pilots?

I suspect I know the answer to this (or at least a good approximation), just like to know others thoughts.

What it is not:
  • The best heli
  • The best simulator
  • The best setup
  • The most knowledge

What is seems to be is attitude and practice (IRL and sim).

The attitude is the willingness to push themselves and their machine to the limits. The ownership of mistakes and the willingness to learn from them and diligent practice to ensure they are not repeated. The lack of acceptance at their current skill level and the burning desire to do better. This drives the construction of flight plans and goals for each flight.

What do other think?

I am far from the best I can be at the moment. I am still nervous when I throw my X5 around. Even more so today (20km/h gusty wind) as I was unable to get my desired sim practice in while travelling for work (14 hour work days in a foreign country where you don't speak the language is mentally and physically draining). Had facility, but could not practice due to mental fatigue.

I also just need more IRL flying time to get comfortable throwing the X5 around.

I still want to get my MAAA gold test, but it feels like 12 months or more away at the moment (to get the the precision level required).
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its not the machine, simulator or best setup..

It like everything in life, practice and good hand eye coordination. This coupled with hours of practice on the sim (any half decent sim will suffice, clearview, CSM nextX, Heli-X, phoenix and RF...etc)..

Knowledge of how to build and setup the heli to how you like it to fly is essential too.. Making sure the flip, roll and tail rates on the sim match your heli or visa versa this will keep the timing the some in the sim and IRL..

Last edited by 360Wings; 12-01-2013 at 05:32 PM..
360Wings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Time, tools and dedication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 12-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's all things. IOW's attention to detail. You can have the best thumbs on the planet but miss just one element, or commit any number of judgment errors on any given flight and you will wind up a smoking hole. Theres a saying that goes you're only as good as your last flight. Consistently following a set of best practices and avoiding any number of mistakes arising from common human error accident chains are the things I look for in flying partners in full scale aviation. It's no different as I look to evaluate whom I believe are the best RC pilots.

I tend to disagree in part on the first four things you mention you don't believe make a good pilot. I contend they are also a part of it. The best pilots will use their hard won knowledge to choose and setup a quality heli and get the most out of it. Sims are part of the equation too. They all have pros and cons but again a pilot with insight will use it to set up the sim and practice wisely, as in your past posts, to maximum effect.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
It's all things. ...

I tend to disagree in part on the first four things you mention you don't believe make a good pilot. I contend they are also a part of it. The best pilots will use their hard won knowledge to choose and setup a quality heli and get the most out of it. Sims are part of the equation too. They all have pros and cons but again a pilot with insight will use it to set up the sim and practice wisely, as in your past posts, to maximum effect.
It's hard to build quality without quality tools. No difference on that point.

My point was, just because you have the tools and the knowedge does not make you good, It's the methods of application of the knowledge using the tools that makes all the difference.

Just watch how Bert Kammerer flies and auto's a stock Blade 450x. For him a simple move is a near perfect pirouetting loop. This comes from 100's of flying hours.

I contend, it's not the tools (knowledge, heli, setup or sim) that makes a good pilot. A good pilot has enough of each to assist in becoming the best they can be. However their high level of skill comes from attitude, practice, attention to detail, self assessment, willingness to take measured risks and lack of contentment with current ability.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

In terms of skill level, the answer is obvious enough.

In terms of bring the best on my book, it's the one who is the safest pilot, is always mindful of the safety of others and self, and willingly sacrifices a heli without thought in the interest of safety.

I'll take such a pilot any day standing 20 feet next to me at the flight line vs a world champion 3d pro

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
PRÔTOS 500 StretchVbar HK-3026
rchelijc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd say its a combination of all of the above.

But especially younger pilots have the time to get out and do a lot of flying which is why they are leading in competitions.

anyone can do it if they put the effort into it
4DPILOT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It also takes a certain kind of intelligence to be a good pilot. It's called Spatial Aptitude, or Spacial Intelligence. In layman's terms, "...the ability or mental skill to solve spatial problems of navigation, visualization of objects from different angles and space, faces or scenes recognition or to notice fine details."

I would put money on a bet that if we took highly skilled, even good intermediate pilots, every single one of them would be very good at navigation. I personally am very good with directions, and can even find my way around places I've never been. May not be right away, but I rarely if ever, get lost. And I am VERY good at face recignition. I can pick somebody out of a crowd like they were standing alone. Don't know how I do it, just something I've always been good at.

It would be the same with skilled RC pilots, it's the same "kind of" intelligence.
Same thing holds true for mechanical "intuition." If you're good with mechanics in general, if you were the kid in school who took apart every pen you ever used, you in general will be really good with the mechanical side. That's why you can have an excellent pilot who can never get his machine right, or an amazing mechanic that can barely nose in hover. Two separate intelligence aspects.

No matter what though, still takes practice and some dedication.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio

Last edited by gitbse; 12-02-2013 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: spelling
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gitbse has it.

1. Natural Ability
2. Lots of Time to practice
3. Lots of crash funds
4. An almost obsessive love of practicing and perfecting

I've seen posts on here saying natural ability isn't that important, but we all know with anything that has hand/eye coordination, natural ability wins out every time.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also agree that natural ability plays a big role. Having said that Chuck Yeager threw up on his first flight. There is a lot of research going on right now looking at how the brain processes information with the goal being trying to determine if we can improve the brains ability to learn things like this. I do believe age plays a role as well but with enough practice we can narrow the gap. The reality is that a 16 year old can pick up these skills in fewer hours. I'm attempting to use my life's experience that has helped my creative juices as well to try and gain an advantage over people a third my age. Go team old fart!
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have found it both interesting and quite frustrating that related skills do not necessarily transfer well to this rotary wing thing, either!!!!!!!!

I am very proficient at rc precision aerobatics. I have been an RC instructor for years. Was a FS fixed-wing SEL pilot for awhile. Lots of semi-related professional skills/knowledge (biomedical engineering, missile and telemetry guidance systems, etc.)

So far the only thing that has transferred is the broad framework of concepts...but the mechanics of actual hands-on???

Fuggettaboutit.
aerobob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomprat View Post
Gitbse has it.

1. Natural Ability
2. Lots of Time to practice
3. Lots of crash funds
4. An almost obsessive love of practicing and perfecting

I've seen posts on here saying natural ability isn't that important, but we all know with anything that has hand/eye coordination, natural ability wins out every time.
There's a alternate to #4 that applies in some cases. Dogged determination. It has little to do with love, it has more to do with pushing toward a goal no matter how we feel about the task. And that's why old farts can still succeed. While our reflexes have slowed, our patience with slow progress has increased. We have more time, and more tolerance of slow improvement. It will take us a lot longer to get proficient, but we will get there unless we decide it isn't worth it or run out of time.

In fact, for me the challenge and slow progress are really a good part of the fun.

George
gstoneberg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great post! I don't have much to add other than that the extra sim time does pay off. I'm finally starting to make connections between orientations and pitch changes that had previously escaped me. I simply could not think fast enough to keep up or lacked the necessary muscle memory. It also took a very long time for my brain to accept that IRL flight is like the sim and that it was okay to rely on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitbse View Post
It also takes a certain kind of intelligence to be a good pilot. It's called Spatial Aptitude, or Spacial Intelligence. In layman's terms, "...the ability or mental skill to solve spatial problems of navigation, visualization of objects from different angles and space, faces or scenes recognition or to notice fine details."
This could be. I've always thought of myself as possessing these abilities, yet I'm not exactly on the fast track to becoming a 3D pilot. In fact, my progress has been average at best. I'm definitely a mechanical person though, so the building part is easily my greatest strength in this hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
I also just need more IRL flying time to get comfortable throwing the X5 around.
Isn't it natural to be cautious though. I mean it's not only the fear of making a mistake and having an open blade coming at you, but the attachment we feel to our models. I'm finding at least, that the confidence I develop during IRL flight is very different than feeling confident in the sim. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing and it does take time to get out of one's comfort zone and not to do so haphazardly.

Last edited by mcarter76; 12-03-2013 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: added a paragraph
mcarter76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitbse View Post
It also takes a certain kind of intelligence to be a good pilot.
It would be the same with skilled RC pilots, it's the same "kind of" intelligence.
Same thing holds true for mechanical "intuition." If you're good with mechanics in general, if you were the kid in school who took apart every pen you ever used, you in general will be really good with the mechanical side. That's why you can have an excellent pilot who can never get his machine right, or an amazing mechanic that can barely nose in hover. Two separate intelligence aspects.

No matter what though, still takes practice and some dedication.
Great post Gitbse. Haven't seen much from you recently. Glad to know you are still around.

I agree. Certain people have a better natural aptitude. But the OCD part of perfecting something is definitely a requirement. More flying time (both sim and IRL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarter76 View Post
Isn't it natural to be cautious though. I mean it's not only the fear of making a mistake and having an open blade coming at you, but the attachment we feel to our models. I'm finding at least, that the confidence I develop during IRL flight is very different than feeling confident in the sim. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing and it does take time to get out of one's comfort zone and not to do so haphazardly.
Since the X5 is my only largish heli, I probably care about it too much. I can step outside the comfort zone and fly it like the sim, but man that makes me nervous.

I have piro-flipped it (very ugly, one way only, not both like I do in the sim). I have autoed it. I have flipped, rolled, looped, upright/inverted forwards/backwards 8's, etc. Usually need a few minutes for the adrenalin rush to stop so I stop shaking when I have been pushing it.

I have never had a situation where I feel I am in personal danger from it.

I have also never really "crashed it" (tipover on auto does not really count as I cored one pitch link. <$2 as they come in a pack of 10). Fortunately I am away for next weekend so it give time for the voodoo of talking about it to wear off .

I usually have a goal for each flying session. Often I meet it. sometimes I don't. But the plan is always there.

I think I really need to start building a 700 series heli.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you tentative with a x5 flying a 700 will just make matters worse.
700s are easier to see and will be more "stable" but the extra power will get you in trouble faster...

You would be better off with a 2nd x5 as a backup. If one goes in you can immediately be back in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 12-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Wings View Post
If you tentative with a x5 flying a 700 will just make matters worse.
700s are easier to see and will be more "stable" but the extra power will get you in trouble faster...

You would be better off with a 2nd x5 as a backup. If one goes in you can immediately be back in the air.
Maybe. But the fact that the X5 is my ONLY largish heli is probably more the issue (that and lack of IRL practice). Crash cost and time waiting for parts. You would know this being in Australia.

The 700 will also make gold wings test easier (more stable, easier to auto).

Also tempted by a 700 flybarred heli (will still put the BD3SX on it for rescue and tail gyro). Correct me if I am wrong, but a well set up flybarred heli is more stable in gusty wind than a FBL heli. After test, optionally, convert flybarred head to FBL head (already would have FBL unit ).

I still like the idea of another X5 though.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Work ethic.

Kyle Stacy flies 3 hours per day. That means every day he flies more than most of us do in a month.

Vijay Singh practices for hours a day. Even on days he's playing in tournaments he will go to the driving range before and after his round.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

some just got mad skills . They are the elite few
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
The 700 will also make gold wings test easier (more stable, easier to auto).

Also tempted by a 700 flybarred heli (will still put the BD3SX on it for rescue and tail gyro). Correct me if I am wrong, but a well set up flybarred heli is more stable in gusty wind than a FBL heli. After test, optionally, convert flybarred head to FBL head (already would have FBL unit ).
Even if you are into F3C i would be advising against FB as even they are moving to FBL i think its next year or 2015... A FB setup correctly will hover better as the FB assist in holding the heli against the win but you still need to fly it. Stick with what you know i.e FBL

At the end of the day the Gold wings test is pretty pathetic and I wouldnt be too obsessed over getting it. They are continually dumbing down the test to enable long term scale pilots to be able to have some attainable "achievement". It means little..
There are many a top pilots that doesnt have gold wings.. Yes, I have my gold wings only because the club wants be to become a heli instructor.. Otherwise i wouldnt have bothered.

Stick with FBL helis and concentrate on just flying... Learn stuff that you want to learn or like the look of.. Naturally your skills will improve to the point where you can just do the gold wings ... Dont put all your focus on getting gold wings as you are still a beginner from what you have said and from what i have seen of your videos. Its a hobby just enjoy the journey it should be fun..
Old 12-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

it is only 3 things that make a pilot perfect

Experience
Experience
And - you might have guessed it
Experience

The things you need are
Sticktime
Sticktime
And - you might have guessed it
Sticktime.

The brain works on a "been there, have to do such..." basis in fractions of seconds inside your subconcious mind when you steer a heli.

Structured training helps a lot to get through the "booring" hardwiring of the brain cells.

gibtse has written some on that training routines
archmageau has written some and some compilation
And if you search ive written some from time to time.

I favor to cycle through different helis, rotor directions, nitro/electric, sizes from 100-800 just that the brain learns to accept different situations.
it helps also to fly regardless of weather, at gray skys with and without canopy, in rain storm and snow.
the more input your brain has the more it hardwires the thumbs to the sticks.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in