Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Their website is edgewood flyers dot com. They also have a FB presence but nobody is paying attention to it. The website is also stale. But the secretary is active on email so you can reach out via email to the club secretary.
It's a shame about the Coram club. I like the guys that I have met there, but there is no cohesion between the club and it's members. Too bad. With all the tools available today, there really is no reason for it. Oh well.
MIKADO VControl Touch | iCharger 406 Duo | Meanwell RSP-1500W-24V
CaptHal8HS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hello

Hi, This is my first post and I am interested in RC Helis.
I am considering purchasing an Align T-Rex 450 Plus DFC for Christmas.
I know absolutely diddily, but I know I want to go the collective pitch route, although a long time ago, I used to fly model planes.

I am looking for a group where I can learn more on setups and a club where I can share this interesting hobby. Not sure if this is all that active since the last post was April 2012, but it can't hurt to try to make contact.

Thanks to anyone in advance, who might see my post.

Steven
MapleNuts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello MapleNuts;
I am delighted that you have posted on the 'Freak looking for a club! The Edgewood Flyers is the place to be. Everyone is friendly and will to help with build questions and issues and there is always someone available to buddy-box for lessons.
When I started two years ago, I knew nothing about modern RC helis. But I found rchelicopterfun.com and read the whole site and ordered the eBooks as well. It's the best place to start learning as a newbie.
The 450 Plus DFC is a great machine, but if you are just starting out you will be overwhelmed for sure. You want to start out at the above website. Then invest in a computerized radio of measurable quality. We are a big Spektrum club, so the DX8 is the way to go for you now. I would also start out with a micro - like the mCPX or the 130X - no bigger.
Since it's the winter, nobody is really flying all that much. But when there are abnormally nice days someone is always there. If you want to reach out via Skype or FaceTime, I'd be happy to chat more with you about this great hobby and welcoming club.

Last edited by CaptHal8HS; 12-12-2013 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Updated for Contact Email
Old 12-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #64 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleNuts View Post
Hi, This is my first post and I am interested in RC Helis.
I am considering purchasing an Align T-Rex 450 Plus DFC for Christmas.
I know absolutely diddily, but I know I want to go the collective pitch route, although a long time ago, I used to fly model planes.

I am looking for a group where I can learn more on setups and a club where I can share this interesting hobby. Not sure if this is all that active since the last post was April 2012, but it can't hurt to try to make contact.

Thanks to anyone in advance, who might see my post.

Steven
Follow CaptHal8HS advice. Also a sim is a great tool. And read the stickies in this forum.

Micro CP is a good start point before 450 just because the helis are crash resistant. May also pay to learn to hover even a mall coax heli or a FP as micro CP helis are very responsive.

Best of luck. Ask lots of questions. Many willing to share the obsession.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

A sim is a MUST after you are on your way with all this. Start out at the website I mention. You won't regret the time you spend learning the initial stuff from John Salt.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey buddy. I would be more that happy to help out. Anything you need. I'm currently in Lake Grove right by the Smithhaven mall. There are a bunch of clubs on the island that are very friendly and are always looking for new pilots. Just be sure to get your A.M.A. I know when I first started I had no clue any of these forums or clubs existed and I learned everything the hard way, lol, so you are on the right track. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Especially if you have never flown rc helis before it can get a little over whelming really quick. Just stick with it and in no time you will be flying with the best of them. As far as choosing the Trex 450 as your first heli. You will get a lot of different opinions on this. Me personally, I learned on an mcpx when they first came out with a dx6i. I am currently using a DX8 and flying the trex 550. Only because thats the largest heli I can afford to crash. But If you get the Trex 450, you are going to be crashing a lot and most likely will be rebuilding more that flying. And that does get very frustration. Atleast with a micro cp heli you can crash 90% of the time and pick it right back up and keep flying. It's in the end up to you but I would say after you learn all the orientations with the micro than go to the 450. But like I said, you will get alot of different opinions on that. You are going to do whatever makes sense to you. If you ever want to get together, ask some questions, learn everything you need to know.... please let me know. I love helping out new pilots. Talk to you soon.
Jeff
gs550t1981 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #67 (permalink)

Long Island checking in here as well. Can't believe there's a thread just for us! Anyway I'm about 8 months into learning all by myself. Started with a Nano CPX, and currently have 6 helis all the way up to a 700. I'm very interested in joining a club. I fly everyday. Be it at work on my breaks, or when I get home. I have flown with someone else on a few occasions, and I made my best progress with them. I'm currently trying to hammer down inverted hover. No AMA card yet either. Guess I'll get on top of that and then get in contact with one of you guys!
I_Bent_It is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Edgewood Flyers is the place to be. You won't believe how much further you will come along after you join a club. The knowledge sharing along with camaraderie is just awesome.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just checked out that website, rather fly by myself then pay a $205.00 fee to deal with an "RC Government" .

HMU if you wanna fly, I got a good safe spot.... without absurd fees.
Mr. Rmz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looking for people to fly with on weekends in the shirley area. ... anyone interested?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
gs550t1981 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
Looking for people to fly with on weekends in the shirley area. ... anyone interested?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
im in the shirley area...pm sent
Permaspooked is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just noticed this thread and I figured I would say hi! My name is Ryan and I live in Mt. Sinai currently but my job is out in Franklyn Square and my girlfriend is now in Brooklyn. Needless to say, I am spanning most of Long Island every week. I would prefer to fly in Suffolk County and I was wonder where you guys are currently meeting?

I've been in the R/C hobby pretty much my whole life (I'll be 29 soon). I started with brushed electric, then nitro, and now brushless (all buggies, monster trucks, and one on road). About a year ago I got into helicopters. I'm fairly competent with building and setting them up but flying is another story. haha

I use a simulator but I find the real world to be much more fun and also a bit more challenging, especially on a windy day. I'm okay at hovering and moving about while looking at the tail (nose out) but I tend to get disorientated quickly if it's any other orientation. My brain understands the change of orientation but my thumbs don't seem to listen or react quickly enough. haha You could say I'm just beginning but it sure is fun!
RyanH85 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, those of us who have mentioned flying with the Edgewood Flyers, that's where we fly. The field is off Commack Rd a couple miles south of the LIE. Tomorrow might be a bit windy, but usually we have a good group flying on the weekends. Weather permitting, I plan on being out there Saturday and Sunday. We all started where you're at. When you get a chance you should come check out the field. Nice place to fly and a great group of guys.
marc8090 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Ryan!
Come on down! A whole group of heli guys will be there on Sunday between 9:00am and 10:00am. Bring your heli and equipment. You'll have a blast!
For now, just get to the Edgewood Preserve - off of Commack Rd, south of the expressway on the left. Park your car and walk the dirt road until you get to the field. It's a 3 minute walk. Hope to see you soon!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

We will be there more than just one hour.
marc8090 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8090 View Post
We will be there more than just one hour.
Yeah those are Cedar Creek hours... lol
nynextel88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Edgewood?

Hi, Do people still fly at Edgewood Preserve? I would like to come by and watch. I am a new member and thinking of upgrading to a Trex 450.
Thanks
John
jrvetter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looking for help on long Island

I am looking for some advice on a new Heli. I started with a Blade 120sr and can fly it OK but looking for a real machine. The Blade part keep failing- not due to crashes and cannot deal with the wobble anymore so now I am considering to go the the other end of the scale and do it right the first time.
I am considering a Trex 450 with a Baverian Demon 3sx with the protection features and a DX9. But it is so much money and not sure if I am getting in over my head. I am have read much about these systems but the manuals seem to be hard to understand. I started reading John Salts ebook. But can anyone help me if I get into trouble setting it up? Do you think this is a good idea? I am not far from Edgewood and may stop down to check it out.
Thanks
John
jrvetter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 05:27 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stop by Edgewood any weekend in the morning to meet the heli guys. Someone is always willing to help. Further discussions about your capabilities and goals can be discussed at that time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in