Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default YS 120 SR, Starts- but when you go to spook up it stalls.

There are 3 guys at the field that have 120's that run fine, and the same guy's have 3 seperate motors (in seperate heli's) that start fine, but will stall every time when going to spool up.
We sent one engine into Richard at YS, but I am afraid with a bench test, this will not show up.
Enya 5 Plugs
Cool Power 15% YS Blend
Needles-
High 1-1/4
Mid- 1-3/4
Any Ideas?
KingJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It most likely needs more fuel. Have you tried tuning it? Add a few clicks of high needle,
try spooling. Does it get better? Just because the needles are at "factory settings"
does not mean it will run properly.
Kneedragger75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

All 3 needles need to blend into each other for true smooth operation. I bet with some experimentation you will hit on it.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

We have 3 guys that know how to tune having the exact same problems.

The one guy took the needles completely out, and it made no difference.

YS has some type of issue, and it is not a field tuning problem.

We were told to take regulator off of good running engine, put it on bad running one to see if it makes a difference.

I do not want to spend 4-6 hours on the bench to find out what I already know- it is some type of YS problem.

NO WAY do the guys that I am talking about have tuning problems on one, and a strong running engine on another.

A little more than a coincidence to me.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it just up and dies as you open the throttle I would say it's lean on the low end screw.
600bob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perhaps a post in the engines forum will get some other 120 users to chime in.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default YS 120 SR, Starts- but when you go to spook up it stalls.

There are 3 guys at the field that have 120's that run fine, and the same guy's have 3 seperate motors (in seperate heli's) that start fine, but will stall every time when going to spool up.
We sent one engine into Richard at YS, but I am afraid with a bench test, this will not show up.
Enya 5 Plugs
Cool Power 15% YS Blend
Needles-
High 1-1/4
Mid- 1-3/4
Any Ideas
Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

We have 3 guys that know how to tune having the exact same problems.

The one guy took the needles completely out, and it made no difference.

YS has some type of issue, and it is not a field tuning problem.

We were told to take regulator off of good running engine, put it on bad running one to see if it makes a difference.

I do not want to spend 4-6 hours on the bench to find out what I already know- it is some type of YS problem.

NO WAY do the guys that I am talking about have tuning problems on one, and a strong running engine on another.

A little more than a coincidence to me.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Every YS120 I have heard of, needed quite some richening on the idle-needle before it would run properly. Including my flightbuddy's which is running totally awsome now.

Last edited by latte; 05-13-2012 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: typo
latte is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have good fuel pressure?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

sounds like my 91. it idels fine, but as it hits 1/2 throttle it quits instantly. i gave up and bought a new engine, which is fine.[ the problem engine came in a used heli]
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

get the YS manual and follow the directions. In addition one tip I found on my YS 61 that wasn't in the manual is having a fuel cutoff on the carb line. Keep the fuel cutoff on at all times unless starting/running and vent the pressure after flying. This keeps the engine from getting flooded. For me it was getting the engine warmed up, setting the high needle, mid needle then idle. Tweaking them in that order.. someone else was helping me but it made sense after he explained it.. the real key to getting idle and transition was not having the motor flooeded..
Jer

If you find the engine idles fine but won't transition to the different needles it's typically a wrong setting. Start with the factory suggested settings and get each working first and in order.
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine does the same thing. I tried a Enya 4 which did not make any difference. Now I pulse the throttle quickly up an down to get it over the hump, then it is fine. Seems like it is more of an issue when the motor is warn. I think if anything it is too rich because if I leave the glow igniter on it spools up with out hesitation.
Glenn Goodlett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure the check valve is not installed backwards. You gotta have the constant tank pressure for that motor to run perfectly. I have forgot to hook the tank line up after fueling and had similar results. After a few try's I did get it to spool up and then in the middle of the flight it up and died on me, and was forced to auto the heli in. I then realized I had forgot to hook the tank pressure line up.
wacojoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just spent a few hours at the field with mine doing EXACTLY the same thing. On mine, the idle needle was way too lean from the factory. After tuning that, was able to spool up just fine
stics is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My idle needles on both of mine are 55 minutes open, both spool up fine, idle can be lumpy but then I am using OS no 10 cold plugs.....
jwatts007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to rule this out. Put a tank of good quality 30% fuel in one of them. My os 91 did this exact same thing on 20%. In over a year an a half it's never done it again since going 30%. You might also try a plug with a different temp rating.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default same issue

I am having a similar issue. I can run the Enya #4 fine, but The Enya#5 will stall every time I try to spool up. Does not matter if the motor is cold or warm. Idle needle adjustment makes no difference.

The Enya #4 does seem to make the motor run warn during flight though.

I also tried to remove the spring form the one way valve as recommended by a Rep, but I did not like the results. The motor will continue to run at 25% or more after you shout the throttle off. Not a fun experience on a 700 class heli.

I see a lot of posts about the Enya #5 being the preferred plug for the YS120. So I have to believe there is a way to make it work for me. I am beginning to wander if the check valve spring rate is inconsistent. This would explain the rough idle.

While I have built and flown 3 50 size nitro helis with no issues, I found the YS120 to be a completely different beast.
Tons of power for my 10.9lbs Trex 700N DFC.
whittb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been having this same issue with my YS 120 and was almost ready to call it quits. I called YS yesterday and spoke with a tech by the name of Richard. I explained the issue to him and he suggested that I keep my glow plug lit until after I spool up into a hover since the low needle had to be run very rich.

I installed a Gryphon Auto Booster last night and it allowed me to keel my glow plug lit using a switch for as long as I want. This has made a huge difference in getting the engine tuned because I no longer have the engine cutting out while walking to the flightline.

Once I had the midrange needle set lean enough, I also no longer had the issue of it cutting out during spool up as well.

I want to thank Rich from YS for taking the time to work out the issues with me and for providing excellent service.

....Mike
Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gday guys, I know this is an old thread, but just to help someone! I had the spool up from idle issue's from new and finaly had that problem solved after the guys from a larger heli club sugested I change the one way valve for a new one! Completely diffrent engine, was also going lean at wot, it solved that issue as well! I think Ive had a couple new check valves that have been alot of my problems. Just in the process of new ring and gasget set, and hatoir O rings replacements rebuild to help the leanish mid range.
Rolf
Fang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in