Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Ufly

Ufly Walkera Ufly Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpile View Post
I'm not sure but I would imagine a rotor blade strike with a flybarless
head puts more direct stress onto the servos because they're directly tied to the servos rather than taking some of the brunt energy off of them being shared by a flybar. I too rarely went through the Walkera servos but after the "homemade" flybarless head I was going through far too many of the Walkera servos and began evaluating a suitable affordable replacement servo that had a quick enough speed, metal replaceable gears, plus ones very affordable. After going through 3 or 4 brands I took a chance on the 922 Henge servos and they have well exceeded my expectations in minor crashes and their speed is lightning fast, besides only being $9 and replacement gears for only $5. I got them from Hobbyking, no idea if they're sold anywhere else. The Walkera servos have plastic gears and although they are uber quick they suck whenever you have any sort of rotor strike with ground; perhaps your other fbl helis' servos also use metal gears or more durable plastic ones. Hope this helps!
I'm assuming you didn't replace the tail servo since it isn't involved in a blade strike or did you?
js349 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by js349 View Post
I'm assuming you didn't replace the tail servo since it isn't involved in a blade strike or did you?
Nope, I replaced them all because they're wicked fast and responsive plus
I like the reliability of these Henge servos with their metal gears.
jtpile is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow i have been following this thread as a guest for a while and i must say very nice upgrades...i have a uflys and i plan on doing these upgrades myself in the near future.I am currently waiting for new blades to arrive due to a small booboo i had Tuesday on my first outdoor flight..till then i was just hovering in the basement due to the weather here, but it has been nice this week but figures i am grounded till my blades get here...only mod i have did to my ufly is the tail gear slip mod and it works very well , when i crashed it went down on its side and no stripped gears, i did cut the throttle soon as i seen what was about to happen..only broke one blade and the front lower corner of the skid (epoxy) where the rail slides thru...looking forward to future mods as well as helping out any way i can...

thanks and happy flying...
magicmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been following this thread, and have also upgraded my Uflys, but now I have a problem whit the correct settings of the RX2435.
Does any one have a picture or can tell how to adjust the gyro pots so that he will be airborn again and fly well .

Hope you can help me, if not, I am replacing it for the original FB-rotorhead again.

Best regards,
Michel
5#10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

my gyro pots are looking at the front set parallel to the tail boom, it came that way when i got it new.The crazy thing is on mine it seems it makes no difference where they are set, in fact i can hover it just as good if not better with the 3 axis turned off..but i still have the flybar head on mine, might be a totally different story with the v370 head on it...
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5#10 View Post
I have been following this thread, and have also upgraded my Uflys, but now I have a problem whit the correct settings of the RX2435.
Does any one have a picture or can tell how to adjust the gyro pots so that he will be airborn again and fly well .

Hope you can help me, if not, I am replacing it for the original FB-rotorhead again.

Best regards,
Michel
I'm using the 2433V which is for a fbl heli but I don't think it makes a difference. I'm going from memory but I believe I have my Elev and Aile turned up all the way. Turn the rudder up until the tail starts twitching and then back off a little. What is happening with your heli?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ js349

It looks like I can not get the right adjustment on the elevator in combination with the Aileron trim, also the tail is verry wobbely. Does some one have a picture how to adjust the trims to set them in the right way
Hope that I can make it right so that the Uflys can be airborn again but than FBL!
5#10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

not sure if its true but on another forum somebody told me that the rx has to be turned off and back on before any of the adjustments take affect...but i figured that was what the wk----on switch was for...i tried it and it didn't make any difference on mine wearther its turned on or off...as far as the tail it could be the tail blades i had a bad vibration in my ufly and i removed the tail blades and spooled it up and the vibration stopped...i weighed the tail blades and one was about a half a gram heavier then the other...i used tracking tape to match them up to the same weight and it stopped the vibration when reinstalled...if the tail is wagging back n forth it could be the rudder gyro is set to high...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
@ js349

It looks like I can not get the right adjustment on the elevator in combination with the Aileron trim, also the tail is verry wobbely. Does some one have a picture how to adjust the trims to set them in the right way
Hope that I can make it right so that the Uflys can be airborn again but than FBL!
I noticed this week that I had alot of slop in the head after my conversion so I put a small washer on each side on the feathering shaft and that took care of it. Make sure your main shaft can't move up and down or back and forth. Also, make sure all of your gears are meshing. The Elev trim controls backward and forward movement and the Aile trim controls left and right movement. Is it moving out of control in either of these directions?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile AWESOME....JUST AWSOME

JT....

This is one of the most comprehensive articles I've ever read about a specific bird. Keep up the good work. I'm still getting my legs flying the UFLYS, but as I get better, I can see myself doing some of these upgrades. I especially like the brass pinion gear.

In terms of the Servos, one just went bad on me and do you think that I could replace just one with the 922 without replacing all three? If they're as fast as you say, it shouldn't be an issue, no?

Keep up the great articles. You rock!

best,

Fred
fredfx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

With the stock ufly rx (RX2435) and the flybarless head.....are you able to let go of the cyclic and let the heli recover ?...thank you for all your good info!!!
hcazar73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know mine dosen't but have only had it 5 days
CCU78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a short video: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgvdkikJj8g&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]
Old 03-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flybarless UflyS Photos

Here's some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041~.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	211586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	211587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	211588  
Old 03-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes it will fly hands off, it's very stable
Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Best regards,
Michel
posted pics
Old 03-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfx View Post
JT....

This is one of the most comprehensive articles I've ever read about a specific bird. Keep up the good work. I'm still getting my legs flying the UFLYS, but as I get better, I can see myself doing some of these upgrades. I especially like the brass pinion gear.

In terms of the Servos, one just went bad on me and do you think that I could replace just one with the 922 without replacing all three? If they're as fast as you say, it shouldn't be an issue, no?

Keep up the great articles. You rock!

best,

Fred
I would replace all three but it will still fly if you only replace one. I replaced all three because of their reliability. Still loving the Henge servos!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Basic UflyS Mods

I used servo linkages from a Esky Dauphin since they are very short. I use SkyLipo 1300mah batteries with additional canopy grommets added because of the additional length. I used a Dremel (best tool on the planet!) to drill the additional holes. Lastly I use a battery alarm/monitor set to 3.5v per cell instead of the default 3.7v so that it gives me a little time to get it back safely and without draining the lipo too much. On average I get about 7-8 minutes per battery and the 1300mah batteries do a great job with this tail heavy heli. Hope this helps. -cheers
Old 03-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flybarless UflyS Photos

Here's one more, can't seem to add it to the others...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042~.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	211596  
Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

will it matter if i replace the stock servos with analog servos? also you mentioned the henge servos i really like the specs on those...are they smooth as opoised to the walkeras ? and do they perhaps have more travel throw then the walkera servos ? mine don't seem to move very far even with the ext turned all way up...in fact my elevator servo moves farther backward then it does forward...

thanks...very nice informative thread...

Tags
370d01, flybarless, uflys, walkera

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in