Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hot motor and esc

I am sure it has a topic I am just not finding. Edge 120hv and scorpion 4035 560kv. Set for low timing and pwm of 8 and both come down hot. Esc is around 170 according to the logs but the motor will burn the fingers if it is touched after landing.

Is bit normal or am I missing a setting?
Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What kind of amperage's are you seeing?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

78 peak on thenlast log with 40-60 on average in the last three logs i pulled. I have tried both a scorpion 4035 560kv and scorp 3635 510kv motor with the same results. Would setting the edge 120 to outrunner mode help?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a hot combo. Don't worry about it
Old 08-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the replies people. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1973 View Post
78 peak on thenlast log with 40-60 on average in the last three logs i pulled. I have tried both a scorpion 4035 560kv and scorp 3635 510kv motor with the same results. Would setting the edge 120 to outrunner mode help?

NO outrunner mode! That is for high pole count EDF motors and has resulted in fire reports in some cases when heli guys use it.

170F is perfectly fine for the ESC in summer months. Thermal shutdown is not until 212F so you are a long way off from that.

Motors are tricky because you have to define what "hot" really is, and 130-140F is hot enough that you cannot touch the motor for more than a second without pulling or risk burning your fingers, but that is considered normal for a motor. Think of it like your car motor.....it will burn you if you place your hand on it, but it doesn't mean anything is wrong.

High quality motors and magnets are good to 200-300 degrees F, but that would instantly and painfully burn and blister your skin. What we perceive as hot and the fact that you can touch it at all without this happening demonstrates that it is not really all that hot.

Get yourself a cheap IR thermometer to keep tabs on the motor with actual temp values, and you will see they remain very predictable and shift with the ambient temp changes of the season you are flying in.

Last edited by Xrayted; 08-25-2016 at 09:32 PM..
Xrayted is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2016, 03:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Already have a temp gun as i used it on my gasser. Thanks for the info. I work with heat up to 1000 degrees and am painfully aware of high temp burns. Nothing like smelling it before you feel it, and then that nice patch of waxy looking skin.

Just thought i would ask as i have never had a scorpion and castle esc feel so hot but they were also smaller ones. So normal it is, that is good to know.

Thanks

Old 08-30-2016, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've run that same motor in my SAB 630 in the past, with winding temps around 165-170f after 4 mins. My LE4225-610 also runs about 170f

160-175 is normal for a castle also

Good luck!
Markus
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in