Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Really tight fit for canopy?

Hi, does anyone have a way to put the canopy on easier. It is quite difficult to do each time I need to switch out a lipo.
helicub81 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 04:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are talking tight as in have to pull hard on the canopy to get the mounting pins in the mounting holes - you may have to trim a tad off the bottom ( u-shaped part ) of the canopy. First however, ensure you're getting the bottom of the canopy seated correctly as it's easy to have it off just a bit and it does have to be "just right". I usually have to flip the heli over to make sure I get the bottom lip of the canopy seated in the groove right.

I purchased my 500 "pre-owned" and the canopy it came with ( real nice custom painted one ) went on very easily. I purchased from MSH the stock orange and white canopy and had a real tough time putting it on without even having a battery mounted so trimmed off just a very small bit on the bottom and it slides on easily now. I used a Dremel tool with a sanding wheel on mine to "carefully" take off just a small amount but I imagine you could also use a piece of sandpaper. I marked what I wanted to take off with a black magic marker as it's hard to tell how deep you're going just eyeballing it with no reference to where you started.

If you're using some kind of huge battery and it's obstructing the canopy - that's a different story.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
blade-man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned User

Did you move the canopy posts to the forward position? Most of us have them just outside the anti rotation (AR) bracket.

Also the stock canopy is somewhat snug. Either a Fusuno or Canomod canopy will give just a bit more wiggle room.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=kavic5150;6083255]Did you move the canopy posts to the forward position? Most of us have them just outside the anti rotation (AR) bracket.

Also the stock canopy is somewhat snug. Either a Fusuno or Canomod canopy will give just a bit more wiggle room.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize there were two places to mount the posts ( if I am reading you correctly ) ?

Will have to check mine out to see - course since the one canopy fit fine the way it was I wouldn't really want to spend time switching the posts in the event I wanted to change the canopy so was still - I think - better off trimming the stock canopy to fit.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
blade-man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, I tried to put the canopy mounts on the antirotation bracket screw holes, but in the process, I stripped the screw. I will try that again and do a little sanding when I get the new ones!

Thanks
helicub81 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 03:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

1.Put two shims between the front landing skid support and the chassis so the canopy can slide in that gap. Classic Protos mod.
2.Get some Fusuno canopy grommets FUA-002S. That will allow you to shift the canopy holes 5 mm to the back and also will prevent your canopy from cracking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in