Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > CJY Total-G FBL System

CJY Total-G FBL System Curtis Youngblood Total-G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Anyone still using one?

Is anyone still using the totalg? They didn't really take off over in the UK but I have one on a fusion and it flys very well. It's up for grabs as I want to stick with just the one fbl unit.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
pugdavey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I Havnt been on tg for many months.
First thing I have done is to come to this tg forum and see what is new.

As I imagined, not much.

Total g is the best unit I personally have used. Having said that I use 3G, 3gx with great success also and a mate runs tarot 3axis gyros on his compass 500 and his rex 600 with great success!...

I think mikado is prob the best for Europe as they are relatively local.

I'm in NZ, USA is cheaper to call and have parcels sent.....therefor tg, if beast x was avail in NZ, I would likly be using them too.
Corrari is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, still using Total G's on my Rave 450 and Ballistic. I still love the way they fly and no problems to date!

Don C
Sky Dancer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have TotalGs on a pair of Outrage 550s and a Ballistic. Curtis has a new V2 TotalG coming out in the near future. Saw him flying the prototype at SRC back in September.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Running one on both of my machines...
Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gasser

I have one on my Radikal G20 and a 8s Trex 600ESP. No issues. Easy to setup and work good.
rspiegel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have been running them on my helicopters, and ever since version fc11_3c7 they have been performing very well. Just follow the set up instructions and all should be well.

Kevin
mystar60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes..Ive got about 400 flights on it. No problems..it is on my Kasama Faifa. Been updated and serviced once after a bad crash ( TotalG not to blame ..). I am used to it and the software, and I see no reason to change yet. I like it a lot.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rave 90 nitro with TotalG here

still flies very well.

I am about to try brain, as it is said to be a "better" flight controller. Will see...
Raptor Mini Titan
PhnX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know this is an old thread but I didn't see it till recently.

I now have four Total-Gs going and they all work great. I have used a BeastX rev 2 on three different helicopters and I have used the Spartan Vortex on three others (currently using two Vortexes). So far the TG is the most natural feeling to me. It imparts the least amount of it's own character and feels closer to a flybar but with the added holding power. IMHO :-)
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still have Total-g but I'm not using it anymore since I got dissapointed on how it Piros.
I can't make the Piros flat even on the latest firmware (3C7 or 4 beta), mechanical trim, swapping ail/pitch servo, etc. Though it flies great except doing 3D with piros.
Rave 450 FBL - Spirit FBL
nard712136 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 03:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nard712136 View Post
I still have Total-g but I'm not using it anymore since I got dissapointed on how it Piros.
I can't make the Piros flat even on the latest firmware (3C7 or 4 beta), mechanical trim, swapping ail/pitch servo, etc. Though it flies great except doing 3D with piros.
Since I don't really do lots of piro moves I'm not really bothered. I might do a pirouetting stall turn now and then and that's about it. I have seen videos of Curtis doing continuous piro moves though.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yep, still using a TotalG and Loving it!@@

Howdy,

I am still using the TotalG unit and I really love it! All my other helis are iKon's yet I still love the TotG.

It is easy to set up, and once I was able to set the Throttle threshold to 70% for TrimLock I am able to happily take off in Normal mode and flip to St-1 or St-2, which then activates TrimLock.

Since the unit has been around a while lots of folks tend to disregard it, but IMHO it flies great - very close to the iKon, and certainly well enough to keep flying it. One thing's for sure: it beats the heck out of the 3GX and all of those more modern-day lower end FBL units!@@

Cheers,

Bill
kelleysislander is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still loving mine. Just received #4 in the mail yesterday so my heli fleet will now be all Total G. Yes it is an older option for FBL, but is very much still at top contender in my opinion.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I totally agree, it is so much better than people give it credit for (well it's pretty much forgotten about these days). I also did the trick of setting the throttle trimlock threshold quite high for the first electric heli I fitted with a TG and then on the later ones I didn't bother and usually have the swash gain on my aux2 switch (DX7) so I just turn it off completely until the headspeed gets up there a bit and then flip it on before taking off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleysislander View Post
Howdy,

I am still using the TotalG unit and I really love it! All my other helis are iKon's yet I still love the TotG.

It is easy to set up, and once I was able to set the Throttle threshold to 70% for TrimLock I am able to happily take off in Normal mode and flip to St-1 or St-2, which then activates TrimLock.

Since the unit has been around a while lots of folks tend to disregard it, but IMHO it flies great - very close to the iKon, and certainly well enough to keep flying it. One thing's for sure: it beats the heck out of the 3GX and all of those more modern-day lower end FBL units!@@

Cheers,

Bill
Old 02-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Total G

I have eight of them currently, looking for one more, and am very pleased to read this thread since I am still converting all my FB helis to FBL. I went the with Total G based on the performance of the ATG, and the mini G.

The only issue I am having currently is finding satellites for Spektrum DX9. The Total G is designed for DSM2, but according to CY videos it will except DSMX, no luck on the DMSX satellite. The only satellites I have gotten to work are DSM2, one from a DSM2 AR8000, and one one from an AR6210. I aslo have an Orange RX that works, but seven other DSM2's that bind to the DX9 but the Total G stays Red and wont initiate. I mwill start a thread for this.

Set up has been nice and easy, I have been doing it unmounted to test the gyro responce better, everything seems to work perfectly so far. I have assigned the Total G to my D switch so I can turn it off for spool up.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hey Trillian, could you explain furhter please...

You said:

"on the later ones I didn't bother and usually have the swash gain on my aux2 switch (DX7) so I just turn it off completely until the headspeed gets up there a bit and then flip it on before taking off."

I have the Aux2 switch (JR X9503) set for that as well. I initialized normally then use it to switch out during setup, etc.

On your use of the switch to take off w/o tricking the throttle threshold, do you spool up in Decay Mode, then go into Flight Control (and TrimLock) while on the ground?

I had a bad crash my first try because I spooled up in trimlock (the throttle threshold was still 30%) and as soon as I lifted off it did a big 10 foot arc and then upside down into the ground. Ouch!@@

Cheers,

Bill
kelleysislander is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog714 View Post
I have eight of them currently, looking for one more, and am very pleased to read this thread since I am still converting all my FB helis to FBL. I went the with Total G based on the performance of the ATG, and the mini G.

The only issue I am having currently is finding satellites for Spektrum DX9. The Total G is designed for DSM2, but according to CY videos it will except DSMX, no luck on the DMSX satellite. The only satellites I have gotten to work are DSM2, one from a DSM2 AR8000, and one one from an AR6210. I aslo have an Orange RX that works, but seven other DSM2's that bind to the DX9 but the Total G stays Red and wont initiate. I mwill start a thread for this.

Set up has been nice and easy, I have been doing it unmounted to test the gyro responce better, everything seems to work perfectly so far. I have assigned the Total G to my D switch so I can turn it off for spool up.
Sounds like your TotalG has not been updated with DSMX. Contact Curtis, he will do it for you.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had one went to vbar and haven't looked back, although I do remember having to mess with that trim lock function, and for some reason its supposed to be off until you leave the ground. Never had to give it a second thought on the VBAR it does all that itself you just fly it. Also really like the -100 to +100 of vbar setup vs some 1586 or whatever number is supposed to represent 0 in the total G. Just my thoughts....
RuYela is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't visit this forum for a long time as I thought there was no activity. Sorry about that :-(

It's probably a bit late now to do any good but... Yeah, the thing is that the TG can get 'confused' when it's on the ground and the headspeed is very low when spooling up. Particularly on smaller helis.

You need to initialise with the gain set where you normally have it, so I have the switch in the on position when booting up, then switch it off (zero gain).

Then when taking off I wait till the headspeed is nearly high enough to leave the ground and heli is steady, not rocking around but still on the ground, I then flip the switch to the on position for whatever swash gain I'm using and now it's already in trim-lock mode as the throttle will be around mid-stick. This works fine and I've never had a problem.

It probably sounds more complicated than it is, it's actually very simple to get used to, basically you're just turning the gain down or off for the very beginning of spooling up and then kicking it back in once the headspeed is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleysislander View Post
You said:

"on the later ones I didn't bother and usually have the swash gain on my aux2 switch (DX7) so I just turn it off completely until the headspeed gets up there a bit and then flip it on before taking off."

I have the Aux2 switch (JR X9503) set for that as well. I initialized normally then use it to switch out during setup, etc.

On your use of the switch to take off w/o tricking the throttle threshold, do you spool up in Decay Mode, then go into Flight Control (and TrimLock) while on the ground?

I had a bad crash my first try because I spooled up in trimlock (the throttle threshold was still 30%) and as soon as I lifted off it did a big 10 foot arc and then upside down into the ground. Ouch!@@

Cheers,

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in