Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Fuselage Forum

Fuselage Forum Fuselage Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T Rex 450L Dominator for Scale

Has anyone tried to fit the new T Rex 450 to any of the scale fuselages. I did not see an align one at all assuming they consider it 3D hardcore only. The tail is a bit longer and the motor is on top. Seems like it would be a great set of mechanics for a scale project. Also, as for ease of maintenance, the servos are easily removed. A motor with less KV would be needed, but a 6's power system seems great too for scale. You might see longer flight times when set up correctly with a lowered head speed. I want to start a 450 size scale project. I really wished someone made an EC-120, or an EC-155 Dauphin in a 450 size, but what ever I build, I would like to have a fenestron tail.
Any thoughts or suggestions from you scale pros welcome. Scottheli
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

good post I have the same question. I started a 450 Agusta build and do to the extra weight the deliminator seems perfect.
orodriguez999 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Hi:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but no one makes a body that would be made to fit the Dominator chassis. You are in uncharted territory there and I am not saying you can't do it but the extremely high rpms of that do not lend well to a scale project. By the time you have tamed things down to the level that normally is used on 450 scale projects, you will have spent money for another motor and certainly some gear changes along the way. You mentioned that the tail boom is longer so that will be a hard strike against it fitting any current bodies. As far as a Fenestron tail, don't hold your breath as they are as rare as hen's teeth in 450 and 500 sizes. At one time, there was a company that did make them but few ever made it into the forums here. As it is, there are very few companies that make those tails, and those that do tend to build them for 700 size and larger helicopters. Good luck.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To use the 450L with a 6S LiPO, you would need to replace:
Tail Boom and Torque (replace with the Pro version (H45053)
Main Gear 121T (replace with 150T (HS1219QA)) See Note
Tail Drive Gear 26T (replace with 25T (H45G001XXW))
DFC Main Rotor Shaft (replace with 5x116mm Main shaft (HS12180))
DFC Rotor Head Assembly

Note: The 450L has a fixed motor mount, that does not allow you adjust the gear mesh between the Main Gear and Motor pinion. You will have to remove the Shapely Reinforcement Brace and slot the frames, so that you can adjust the gear mesh, when you replace the pinion and/or main gear.

To use the 450L with a 4S LiPO, you would need to replace:
Tail Boom and Torque (replace with the Pro version (H45053))
DFC Main Rotor Shaft (replace with 5x116mm Main shaft (HS12180))
DFC Rotor Head Assembly

Most fuselages use the SE/V2 style bottom frame landing gear holes to mount the mechanics to the fuselage, so you would need to do some modifications there.

Noone make a 450 size Fenestron anymore. The ones that were available, were only suitable for a 2 blade rotor head. They failed to work with a scale multi blade rotor head.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Keyrigger and Black Titanium for that information. I have read both of your wonderful threads and learned a lot. Well, I really love the EC-120, and I think it would make a great build. Too bad, no one makes it in a 450. My first thought was the AS-350 with it. But I will probably wind up going with something that's easy on maintenance. I just thought the rc aerodyne 470 size fuselage might be a good candidate for a tamed down like you said version. But cost and complications are not on my side there. Scottheli
Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm just as disappointed as you are, I really love the EC-120 too!
I would really love to have a 500 size, EC-120 Colibri and a CH-46 Sea Knight or CH-47 Chinook.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know how much different length the dominator tail boom is from the 450 pro tt, but when I built my AS350 if the mechanics could have been about a half inch forward, I would not have had to put as much weight in the nose for cg.

I have parts on order to stretch an old 450 pro including 360 mm blades. Maybe just enough extra boom to get rid of some weight?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobieg View Post
I don't know how much different length the dominator tail boom is from the 450 pro tt, but when I built my AS350 if the mechanics could have been about a half inch forward, I would not have had to put as much weight in the nose for cg.

I have parts on order to stretch an old 450 pro including 360 mm blades. Maybe just enough extra boom to get rid of some weight?
450L Dominator Tail boom (Φ11xΦ12x387mm)
450 SE/Pro Tail Boom (Φ11xΦ12x347mm)

Dominator is 40mm (1.57 in) longer
Old 05-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTitanium View Post
450L Dominator Tail boom (Φ11xΦ12x387mm)
450 SE/Pro Tail Boom (Φ11xΦ12x347mm)

Dominator is 40mm (1.57 in) longer
Oh well, just a thought. It flys great, just think it would fly better lighter.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cobieg, hey, my thought was that the motor on top and the longer tail boom would have made a great set of mechanics in the dog house of the rc aerodyne 470 size fuselages, and would be shaft driven. So, then a nice fenestron and an EC 120 fuselage, which no one makes, would have made the perfect all around size scale sport heli. Of course electronics would have to be for scale, not 3d, but that was just a dream that apparently was too good to be true. Scottheli
Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good afternoon. I have 450 L. However, I wanted the long tail of 450 L. Fixed pitch helicopter. Funcopter-body is extra. The HK450PRO length too. It was exactly 40 mm long is. Tail system 450 L meets exactly. Extended the control shaft.

main blade 360mm RJX

T-REX450pro TT clone HK450PRO include FUNCOPTER Fuselage ,TEST1 (5 min 57 sec)

ALIGN T-REX450PRO+funcoptor Fuselage.HK450PRO TT (7 min 6 sec)
eiichi KOGURA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just as a long time later, lol, A guy on runryder installed a Trex 450L in an md500 with a copterx 5 blade head set up. I didnt see the build as it was for sale, lol, but did look right. As for cell count, gearing, rotor head speed, none of which was mentioned other than it flys well, but for sale, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in