Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Folks, I have an unused hawk pro with no engine just the skeletons, but seeing this thread made me want to rebuild it as an electric...I saw the electric conversion kit, what motor and electronic speed control would I purchase and battery to make this fly?

Never Mind, I read through this entire thread and found my answers...I don't think I want a high headspeed, thats too scary for me therefore I'll opt for the next step down

Last edited by roel126; 03-13-2011 at 08:36 PM..
roel126 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul181083 View Post
Hi all,

i did say 1220kv as i have both spare 1220kv and 1620kv

after doing some calcs with the help of phil i landed on the decision of using the 1620kv.
I decided on an headspeed of 2100 because i want to carry out some nice 3D with it. nothing heavy just some light stuff.

i may well install the 1220kv motor in the future and install the mecahnics in my bell fuselage but for now i just want to have some fun with it.

none of my helis go past 5 mins due to my headspeeds.

i'm just one for faster headspeeds.

sorry for the confusion folks
Then if you want to fly it in a scale set-up or in a scale like manner. I would go for a set-up that will only require a rotor speed of around 1500.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

New to these conversions. 3S on 1700-1900KV motor with clutched set-up, doable? Nothing more than 1500 HS max. Purely scale. Trying not to have to make the huge jump into the 6S charging relm. Have seen the older JR 500s that ran 3S set ups. Thanks for any input.
chris6414 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

It takes about 450 watts of power to hover a 7 lb. heli at a 1500 to 1600 rotor speed using 520mm blades.

I would think the Hawk conversion with an appropriate battery pack would take at least 500 watts with 550mm blades.

Even a very high C single 3S pack of 5000mah would be hard pressed to deliver that many watts. A 3S pack is more for use on a much smaller 450 sized heli.

A good parallel example is if you could intall a big go-kart motor in a small full sized car. If you geared it low enough, it would power it, but not in a very satisfactory manner.

I would say that you could use a 4S/4500/20C pack or 5S/4000/20C pack with proper sized pinions on a decent 1100KV motor, but what you are proposing would prove relatively disappointing in performance and flight time.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Anyone know the size of the adpater? What size motor shaft is it for? 5 or 6 MM?

Last edited by chris6414; 04-11-2011 at 09:05 AM..
Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys I have a hawk pro. I saw the conversion and would like to know what motor would be
good for this hawk pro. I will be doing aerobatic on it. I might use 5's or 6's. What's a good setup
for very low price. I don't want to spend over 50 dollars for motor.

I wont be doing 3d anytime soon but I do want it to have crazy punch out.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

If ou want a heli that will fly well on a 50 dollar motor I think you should be looking at something smaller.

It takes a minumum of 400 watts to fly the much lighter Swift at a low head spee to keep the power consumption down. The Hawk pro with the conversion will be about 25% heavier so a $50.00 motor would not do well or last verylong if it had to work that hard.
ngin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngin View Post
If ou want a heli that will fly well on a 50 dollar motor I think you should be looking at something smaller.

It takes a minumum of 400 watts to fly the much lighter Swift at a low head spee to keep the power consumption down. The Hawk pro with the conversion will be about 25% heavier so a $50.00 motor would not do well or last verylong if it had to work that hard.

Not true. Turnigy makes 1500Watt and larger motors for just such a conversion. Many fly on the smaller 500 Typhoon.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9258
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6414 View Post
Not true. Turnigy makes 1500Watt and larger motors for just such a conversion. Many fly on the smaller 500 Typhoon.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9258
I sincerely doubt that that motor wil last very long flying an electric conversion of a Hawk Pro swinging 550mm blades.

There is a BIG difference in the power required to fly a small 500 sized Typhoon (425mm blades ??) rather then a heli that is the size of the Hawk Pro, specially one that is also lifting a scale fuselage.

Yes, some relatively cheap motors will work for awhile, but will have to work so hard that they will run hot and will not last long.

If you choose the proper motor to start with and power it properly, you will find that the temps of the the motor, the ESC and the battery packs will always run at just a few degrees above body temp (only feel slightly warm to the touch). the result will be components that work properly and consistently, day in and day out, for literally hundreds of flights, and still be flying well for a number of years.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorRotor View Post
I sincerely doubt that that motor wil last very long flying an electric conversion of a Hawk Pro swinging 550mm blades.

There is a BIG difference in the power required to fly a small 500 sized Typhoon (425mm blades ??) rather then a heli that is the size of the Hawk Pro, specially one that is also lifting a scale fuselage.

Yes, some relatively cheap motors will work for awhile, but will have to work so hard that they will run hot and will not last long.

If you choose the proper motor to start with and power it properly, you will find that the temps of the the motor, the ESC and the battery packs will always run at just a few degrees above body temp (only feel slightly warm to the touch). the result will be components that work properly and consistently, day in and day out, for literally hundreds of flights, and still be flying well for a number of years.

True but I did saw turnigy typoon 500h on 550 scale. Anyways its true about it working hard. It's like
putting a os 28 or was it a 27 ? On a 30 size compare it to os 37. That 28/27 useto be used on 30
size helicopter long ago before official 30 size engine was released. That engine was to small for heavy
30 size helicopter like hirobo shuttle z.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys would this work? $19.71 with the conversion kit and pinion on century hawk pro? or with using
the clutch bell on 5s? Either way I wouldn't mind using 5s.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7393

TGY AerodriveXp 32 SK Series 35-48 900Kv / 770W
TURNIGY AerodriveXp SK Series
AerodriveXP SK Series motors are designed for those who want the very best in outrunner technology for their R/C plane. Typically an efficiency improvement of around 8-10% can be seen over similar classed motors. This is in part due to the following;

Stator Laminations: .2mm
Magnet Type: N45SH
Bearings: Dual oversize (Japanese)

Model: SK35-48 900
Kv: 900rpm/v
Turns: 4
Resistance: 35mohm
Idle Current: 2.9A
Shaft: 5mm
Weight: 171g
Rated Power: 770w
ESC: 60A
Cell count: 3~5 Lipoly
Suggested Prop: 11*8, 13*6
Power equivalent : .25~42+ glow engine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SK-3548-900.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	221849  
Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjames View Post
Hey guys would this work? $19.71 with the conversion kit and pinion on century hawk pro? or with using
the clutch bell on 5s? Either way I wouldn't mind using 5s.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7393

TGY AerodriveXp 32 SK Series 35-48 900Kv / 770W
TURNIGY AerodriveXp SK Series
AerodriveXP SK Series motors are designed for those who want the very best in outrunner technology for their R/C plane. Typically an efficiency improvement of around 8-10% can be seen over similar classed motors. This is in part due to the following;

Stator Laminations: .2mm
Magnet Type: N45SH
Bearings: Dual oversize (Japanese)

Model: SK35-48 900
Kv: 900rpm/v
Turns: 4
Resistance: 35mohm
Idle Current: 2.9A
Shaft: 5mm
Weight: 171g
Rated Power: 770w
ESC: 60A
Cell count: 3~5 Lipoly
Suggested Prop: 11*8, 13*6
Power equivalent : .25~42+ glow engine
in the ad it says 770 watts,you'll need a more powerfull motor then that.unless all you plan to do is hover.and even then it will run hot.
i would look for a motor with at least a 1500 watt rateing for a heli of this size and a kv of 1100 to 1300 for the 5s battery with the clutch .
also for a 5 cell system with the clutch and the stock hawk gearing, the most head speed you would get would be 1500 or so(depending on motor effeciency,battery and esc quality)
Old 04-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXHSHV View Post
in the ad it says 770 watts,you'll need a more powerfull motor then that.unless all you plan to do is hover.and even then it will run hot.
i would look for a motor with at least a 1500 watt rateing for a heli of this size and a kv of 1100 to 1300 for the 5s battery with the clutch .
also for a 5 cell system with the clutch and the stock hawk gearing, the most head speed you would get would be 1500 or so(depending on motor effeciency,battery and esc quality)
Which motor do you recommend maybe one on the cheap side that doesn't cost much?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11102

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11187
Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hello all

hello everyone after becoming bored with nitro and a little fed up of the starting and so on , ive purchased a century econversion kit the turnigy typhoon 1100 and a 100a cc esc not bought the lipo as of yet but no problem with that..my problem is as im very limited in knowledge and more skilled at actualy flying , please could someone recommend the pinion most suited for me flying it scale as its my airwolf and ide like it to be scale i was sick of nitro on the fuslage , anyway shall i instal these items and keep it stock gearing and so on or shall i swap a few things out , what clutch shall i buy or shall i just remove the old one of the engine

so i need a clutch and pinion for scale like flying could someone reccoment the 2 i need to buy and ile go get them now , ive never had the benifit of a club , my grandad taught me to fly ..he would maintain my helicopter as im a peanut head (his words) so im sorry i get confused when people talk about the mechanics of helicopters as im very limited,
1. pinion ..where from and what type
2.clutch shall i use the old one or is it a difrent type for my turnigy typhoon
pleased to meet you all as well and if anyone is not far from north wales uk, maybe we could fly together one day as ive not had chance since grandad passed away. kinda lonely up there alone thanks for any input i can get
cptdannydee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 12:06 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here are some tables of the century site.The first one is for motor and battery.
http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...tricsetup.html

The next one is for gears ect.
http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...ricsetup2.html

Would love to come and fly with you but wow ,quite a drive and swim to get there
Being that you are flying scale the clutch will make for a nice start up but the soft start in your esc with direct drive would be ok also.I have never done one so I am just looking at numbers for you here. On the direct drive below they state that a 1100kv motor with a 6 cell lipo you would be 1674 RPM ,I just do not know if that is max RPM or at 90% ,80% ? Also the pinion will come with your conversion ,as long as the motor you bought has a 5mm shaft all should fit fine.It comes so you can use the stock clutch or go direct with the supplied pinion.
Look around on these tables and then try punching some of the numbers into a head speed calculator program like this one.Hope this helps.take care.
http://www.readyheli.com/headspeed-calculator.html

Dennis P is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 03:25 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

brilliant info thanks, i recieved my turnigy typhoon 1100 kv yesterday and i read somwhere that someone instaled theres with a little redrill as the mounting holes did not match up ide love to see how you did it as im not good at this ,or might take it into a shop and have it drilled
Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are many different brands of 1110KV motors, they will not all have the same bolt hole spacing. I am sure that the hole spacing for the Century CN1000EC conversion would be for motors that have the same spacing as the Century 600+/1110 KV motor.

Consequently a motor like the Turnigy that you sited may well have different spacing.

Last edited by MotorRotor; 07-30-2011 at 06:54 PM..
MotorRotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for the input, i poped down the street to hammond engineering and the chap happily said hel redrill the mount no problem and i pick it up teusday hes going to also cut the shaft down to 18mm for me as i read on here it should be done , im just pondering whever to put a clutch on or use the soft start mode on my esc , oh also ive chosen the turnigy typhoon 1100kv with a fentium 80a brushless speed controler 2-6 lipo sbec5v@3a could you guys reckoment a battery and voltage i should go for ,, at the moment at home i have a 2600 3 cell 35c 11.1v x2 of those and a larger 6cell 3800 22.2v lipo of one of my jets , am i looking at using a 22v battery here or a 11.1v as im not sure what power the turnigy motor requiers, thanks again for any input . dan ... oh and its like 2-3 days and ile be testing the motor out ...really really excited
Old 07-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

so would i be using my 22.2v 3800 battery or my 11.1v 2800 for a turnigy typhoon 1110kv and a fentium 80a esc 2-6 cell sbec 5v@3a i dont mind going out and buying a new battery as well as this is really exciting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in