Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My maiden w/ Hard Deck...Hmmmm...

Ok, so i finally got to my comfort zone field right up the street from me and flew 2 packs.
Well, my initial thoughts were a little 'iffy.' The 1st pack I was trying to get the feel of it. I thought levelization was off until the height reached 30' and then the HD would take over from there and up to 70' (which is what i set it to.) My comfort zone field was not as big as I thought it was. 70' is high! So, I think most of the 1st flight was all levelization.
The 2nd pack I lowered it to 50' and that seems to be the tops of the trees that surround me. SO, that made me realize I usually fly at about 30'-40'. Well, when i felt the HD release the levelization, I tilted it about 45* and just let it come down. The ER definitely slapped in. That is some serious fast recovery. Apparently those rotors can bark a lot louder than Ive ever hear lol. Thing is, 50' is just too high for what I'm used to. You DEFINETLY need a very wide open field not surrounded by trees to use hard deck. Here in the tight suburbs, its pretty hard to find a field locally not occupied by ppl to use the open fields.
One really un-easy feeling I got w/ hard deck is I think at one point on the 2nd flight I was trying to feel out where the deck is. I got it to come in at a sharp angle and it kicked in. After that, I think I may have been trying to feel out the HD height and I must have got in the 50' zone at too sharp of an angle. It suddenly gave it like 3-4 super quick cyclic pop-ups. Its like it was in and out and was ER'ing repeatedly for a moment. It doesnt seem like the hard deck is accurate 100%.
When i landed from the 1st flight, I was wondering what the pre-flight said and in the altitude it was bouncing between 5-11 ft in altitude. It was not moving on the ground. Didnt change if I blew on the streamer or if i flicked it. The next pack the preflight bounced back and forth between 2-4'.
Sooo...um...yea. Is this normal?
When the ER kicked in those 3-4 rapid times, I got a bit of panic and felt necessary to turn HD off. So i did and tried again. I'm starting to get the feel of it, but my comfort zone field is too small for a 50' limit. I need a accurate 40' or less of a hard deck for this field. So, not too sure if i like it yet to be 100% honest.
Question: If i want to fly w/ the system off and still flick the bail out w/ HD enabled will it kick in ER when i throw the switch?
And, I thought the idea is to take off w/ cpII and HD on. But your not w/ a fbl system anyway. So, I turn it on after its off the ground.

I think it would be SO much better if the bright green led would illuminate only when the heli is in the hard deck. Then, turn off when not. I just cant really tell when Im in and out of it.

Sooo, hmmmmm....gota fly an open field tomorrow to see how it behaves.
Is it normal for the alt to bounce between 3-4 feet when it is not? not sure on this one guys...too high up for me even w/ a big heli. I may just keep using the bail out switch method. It's just not visible as well as the usual 30-40' mark I fly in.
SKYQUEST is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYQUEST View Post
Ok, so i finally got to my comfort zone field right up the street from me and flew 2 packs.
Well, my initial thoughts were a little 'iffy.' The 1st pack I was trying to get the feel of it. I thought levelization was off until the height reached 30' and then the HD would take over from there and up to 70' (which is what i set it to.) My comfort zone field was not as big as I thought it was. 70' is high! So, I think most of the 1st flight was all levelization.
The 2nd pack I lowered it to 50' and that seems to be the tops of the trees that surround me. SO, that made me realize I usually fly at about 30'-40'. Well, when i felt the HD release the levelization, I tilted it about 45* and just let it come down. The ER definitely slapped in. That is some serious fast recovery. Apparently those rotors can bark a lot louder than Ive ever hear lol. Thing is, 50' is just too high for what I'm used to. You DEFINETLY need a very wide open field not surrounded by trees to use hard deck. Here in the tight suburbs, its pretty hard to find a field locally not occupied by ppl to use the open fields.
One really un-easy feeling I got w/ hard deck is I think at one point on the 2nd flight I was trying to feel out where the deck is. I got it to come in at a sharp angle and it kicked in. After that, I think I may have been trying to feel out the HD height and I must have got in the 50' zone at too sharp of an angle. It suddenly gave it like 3-4 super quick cyclic pop-ups. Its like it was in and out and was ER'ing repeatedly for a moment. It doesnt seem like the hard deck is accurate 100%.
When i landed from the 1st flight, I was wondering what the pre-flight said and in the altitude it was bouncing between 5-11 ft in altitude. It was not moving on the ground. Didnt change if I blew on the streamer or if i flicked it. The next pack the preflight bounced back and forth between 2-4'.
Sooo...um...yea. Is this normal?
When the ER kicked in those 3-4 rapid times, I got a bit of panic and felt necessary to turn HD off. So i did and tried again. I'm starting to get the feel of it, but my comfort zone field is too small for a 50' limit. I need a accurate 40' or less of a hard deck for this field. So, not too sure if i like it yet to be 100% honest.
Question: If i want to fly w/ the system off and still flick the bail out w/ HD enabled will it kick in ER when i throw the switch?
And, I thought the idea is to take off w/ cpII and HD on. But your not w/ a fbl system anyway. So, I turn it on after its off the ground.

I think it would be SO much better if the bright green led would illuminate only when the heli is in the hard deck. Then, turn off when not. I just cant really tell when Im in and out of it.

Sooo, hmmmmm....gota fly an open field tomorrow to see how it behaves.
Is it normal for the alt to bounce between 3-4 feet when it is not? not sure on this one guys...too high up for me even w/ a big heli. I may just keep using the bail out switch method. It's just not visible as well as the usual 30-40' mark I fly in.
Hi:

As the user guide indicates, if you would prefer to use the system as a normal bail out, that works too. The best part is, with the latest firmware and the HD Module installed, you will still get all the benefits of the new collective management during Emergency Recoveries. Maybe that will meet your needs better. Not sure. You might wish to refer to the section "Manual ER for Helicopter" page 22 for more details. Even using the system this way, recoveries are light years ahead of where we used to be. Not automatic at a programmed altitude, so you have to get to the bailout switch in time like always, but since you've already witnessed the speed of Hard Deck recoveries, you know how effective they are.

Thanks for the feedback!
Tim Marks is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think I may have been trying to feel out the HD height and I must have got in the 50' zone at too sharp of an angle. It suddenly gave it like 3-4 super quick cyclic pop-ups. Its like it was in and out and was ER'ing repeatedly for a moment. It doesnt seem like the hard deck is accurate 100%.

If your at or below the HD set altitude if you attempt any type of cyclic control that could cause the helicopter to crash, the HD module will limit the control and cause the cyclic to "bobble" to show that you are under the HD altitude.

This is possibly what you saw happen.

As to flying with in a tree line field...
May wish to hunt around for a more open area if one is around.

nightflyr is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

As the user guide indicates, if you would prefer to use the system as a normal bail out, that works too. The best part is, with the latest firmware and the HD Module installed, you will still get all the benefits of the new collective management during Emergency Recoveries. Maybe that will meet your needs better. Not sure. You might wish to refer to the section "Manual ER for Helicopter" page 22 for more details. Even using the system this way, recoveries are light years ahead of where we used to be. Not automatic at a programmed altitude, so you have to get to the bailout switch in time like always, but since you've already witnessed the speed of Hard Deck recoveries, you know how effective they are.

Thanks for the feedback!
Hey Tim!
Cool. Good to know. I re-read pg. 22 just now.
In the initial lift off, I still have to fly above 30' to arm the HD module first? Do I still have HD ER under 30' there after?
Does the HD need to be present and installed to utilize the new recovery style w/ that collective management?
I think it would be better to have that super bright green led turn on and off as the heli goes above or below in the HD altitude. That visual reference would work well. That led is visible clearly even in the sun. And being its on the underside (and CPII levels it so you see the belly), I think this would work well. That was the continuous question in my head when flying both packs..."am I in the deck, or above...or below...hmmm...ok er kicked in so I'm near it." But then if you are not more than 20* and you are trying to figure out if you're above, below or at the HD you dont know unless you go above and below it tilted more than 20* (I think thats what was causing the pop-up effect...that new collective management.) Its awesome and I'm glad its an included recovery feature, but when determining the HD height, it can scare you by poping up and down until the heli isnt tilted too much.
That was the time I turned it off to stop it from doing this.
Know what I'm saying?

Was it weird to see the alt in pre-flight check to bounce between 6-11 ft in altitude when I was on the ground? It didn't do this after a pack change. It read 2-4 feet on the ground on the 2nd pack always bouncing back and forth in height. I think 2'-4' is ok...but that 6'-11' made me say, "um, what?"

-Jay
Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
I think I may have been trying to feel out the HD height and I must have got in the 50' zone at too sharp of an angle. It suddenly gave it like 3-4 super quick cyclic pop-ups. Its like it was in and out and was ER'ing repeatedly for a moment. It doesnt seem like the hard deck is accurate 100%.

If your at or below the HD set altitude if you attempt any type of cyclic control that could cause the helicopter to crash, the HD module will limit the control and cause the cyclic to "bobble" to show that you are under the HD altitude.

This is possibly what you saw happen.

As to flying with in a tree line field...
May wish to hunt around for a more open area if one is around.
I think your correct on all fronts. I hate tree lines, but it is nice to have a seemingly enclosed private field to yourself which is why I choose it.
But your right, this needs a wide open area to utilize it I believe. (W/o trees in the background...soooo annoying.) I'll give her a whirl tomorrow.
Tomorrow i need to keep my mind occupied because I start at VW on monday and I'm all nervous about being the 'new guy' again :/

Flying helis just distracts life for a moment...even when I had a tooth that needed a root canal, the pain would seemingly disappear when flying, and fade back in as I left every time...weird.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey Tim!
Cool. Good to know. I re-read pg. 22 just now.
In the initial lift off, I still have to fly above 30' to arm the HD module first? Do I still have HD ER under 30' there after?
Does the HD need to be present and installed to utilize the new recovery style w/ that collective management?
I think it would be better to have that super bright green led turn on and off as the heli goes above or below in the HD altitude. That visual reference would work well. That led is visible clearly even in the sun. And being its on the underside (and CPII levels it so you see the belly), I think this would work well. That was the continuous question in my head when flying both packs..."am I in the deck, or above...or below...hmmm...ok er kicked in so I'm near it." But then if you are not more than 20* and you are trying to figure out if you're above, below or at the HD you dont know unless you go above and below it tilted more than 20* (I think thats what was causing the pop-up effect...that new collective management.) Its awesome and I'm glad its an included recovery feature, but when determining the HD height, it can scare you by poping up and down until the heli isnt tilted too much.
That was the time I turned it off to stop it from doing this.
Know what I'm saying?

Was it weird to see the alt in pre-flight check to bounce between 6-11 ft in altitude when I was on the ground? It didn't do this after a pack change. It read 2-4 feet on the ground on the 2nd pack always bouncing back and forth in height. I think 2'-4' is ok...but that 6'-11' made me say, "um, what?"

-Jay
Hi:

You wrote:

The answer is "yes".

The answer is "yes".

Answer: if I were you, I wouldn't pay a ton of attention to the readings for altitude while on the ground. Also, there are voltage regulators in all the CPII components, including the Hard Deck Module. It is inconceivable that a change in battery would explain why readings for altitude vary. This altitude we provide in the IRNet programmer should be considred an approximation and is provided more or less so the customer can tell that the device is operational. It's a lot like the angle readings in Preflight. If you pay too much attention to those readings on the ground, you'll drive yourself crazy. I'm not too surprised about the readings you noted. The barometric pressure sensor we used is factory calibrated for extreme accuracy by the manufacturer of the device under changes in temperature, altitude, etc. It's a massive lookup table in a self-contained mircocontroller; quite amazing actually. But by the time you actually put the unit into the "real world" it's difficult to achieve the kinds of accuracies claimed by the manufacturer of the device, not unlike any electronic component; particularly when you have to depend on a pressure sensing tube mounted in a static streamer assembly we devised, and a lot of forces of nature in play. What matters is, is the Hard Deck Module fairly accurate in terms of recovery altitude during recovery. Our estimates from years of beta testing is that it's probably around +/- 10 feet when all is said and done. That ain't bad considering what we're trying to accomplish. But this is also why we say, honestly, there is a limitation to the technology and why we restrict the customer to a minimum of 50 feet Hard Deck set point altitude. When you set HD altitude to 50 feet, don't be surprised if your recovery completes at 40 ft, 30 ft, or 20 ft. Inertia plays a major roll too. Barelling straight down into the deck is likely to result in a lower recovery altitude than gently rolling over and coming into the deck at 20 degrees or so. FYI, one of the factory tests we run is to place a flat piece of PCB material down on a 6" tube connected to every HD Module and "roll the PCB" toward the HD Module's port. When the factory does this, they're tied into a PC application that has a large bar graph. It has to hold pressure, or the unit fails the test and has to be examined. There is a tiny rubber o-ring seal between the case top and bottom. The seal is pretty critical. If the o-ring is not seated properly, or the screws are not tightened properly, etc, the unit will fail the test. But it's important to note that the seal is either correct and the unit works, or it's not correct and the unit fails the test miserably. There really aren't "degrees" of proper operation to consider here. In short, it's either manufactured correctly and it works or it's not and it doesn't. Understand?

Regarding your suggestion about turning the LED on only at the Hard Deck altitude, the point of the LED is so you can make sure that all systems are GO BEFORE you trust the system. So, not exactly sure how we could implement your request and still maintain this design objective???
Tim Marks is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

You wrote:

The answer is "yes".

The answer is "yes".

Answer: if I were you, I wouldn't pay a ton of attention to the readings for altitude while on the ground. Also, there are voltage regulators in all the CPII components, including the Hard Deck Module. It is inconceivable that a change in battery would explain why readings for altitude vary. This altitude we provide in the IRNet programmer should be considred an approximation and is provided more or less so the customer can tell that the device is operational. It's a lot like the angle readings in Preflight. If you pay too much attention to those readings on the ground, you'll drive yourself crazy. I'm not too surprised about the readings you noted. The barometric pressure sensor we used is factory calibrated for extreme accuracy by the manufacturer of the device under changes in temperature, altitude, etc. It's a massive lookup table in a self-contained mircocontroller; quite amazing actually. But by the time you actually put the unit into the "real world" it's difficult to achieve the kinds of accuracies claimed by the manufacturer of the device, not unlike any electronic component; particularly when you have to depend on a pressure sensing tube mounted in a static streamer assembly we devised, and a lot of forces of nature in play. What matters is, is the Hard Deck Module fairly accurate in terms of recovery altitude during recovery. Our estimates from years of beta testing is that it's probably around +/- 10 feet when all is said and done. That ain't bad considering what we're trying to accomplish. But this is also why we say, honestly, there is a limitation to the technology and why we restrict the customer to a minimum of 50 feet Hard Deck set point altitude. When you set HD altitude to 50 feet, don't be surprised if your recovery completes at 40 ft, 30 ft, or 20 ft. Inertia plays a major roll too. Barelling straight down into the deck is likely to result in a lower recovery altitude than gently rolling over and coming into the deck at 20 degrees or so. FYI, one of the factory tests we run is to place a flat piece of PCB material down on a 6" tube connected to every HD Module and "roll the PCB" toward the HD Module's port. When the factory does this, they're tied into a PC application that has a large bar graph. It has to hold pressure, or the unit fails the test and has to be examined. There is a tiny rubber o-ring seal between the case top and bottom. The seal is pretty critical. If the o-ring is not seated properly, or the screws are not tightened properly, etc, the unit will fail the test. But it's important to note that the seal is either correct and the unit works, or it's not correct and the unit fails the test miserably. There really aren't "degrees" of proper operation to consider here. In short, it's either manufactured correctly and it works or it's not and it doesn't. Understand?

Regarding your suggestion about turning the LED on only at the Hard Deck altitude, the point of the LED is so you can make sure that all systems are GO BEFORE you trust the system. So, not exactly sure how we could implement your request and still maintain this design objective???
I gotcha Tim! That pretty much answered every question I had. I initially thought this was a basic M.A.P. sensor and the avionics computer did all the work...I didn't realize its actually a microcontroller, calculating psi, temp differences, etc and is sealed and seriously tested. Wow is all I can say. That's prob half of the figuring it out part over the years of testing. Nice job by far

I totally realize the point of the LED. If it's on, its good to go. If its off, no its not operational. Simple, effective. Just truly thinking a visual reference other than experiencing ER to indicate HD is above or below its pre-set height via harnessing the led would be great.
Im totally not asking you to change anything for me personally of course. I just thought instead of the light being illuminated at all times to indicate the HD is operational, maybe the light could rapidly blink if there's an error instead of turning off, turn on solid below and at the HD height and maybe blink once a second once above the deck. I understand there are no changes, just inputing what I was thinking the majority of the time which is I wish there was a visual reference like a light to tell me when I'm in or more importantly to me, AT the hard deck. But, if the variance is +/- 10feet, that couldn't really work. Not to mention I initially thought this was a basic MAP sensor.
Just my idea is all...not negatively criticizing ya' man! Excellent job w/ getting this perfected functionally...even if it took years, it seems to be paying off now. I like it. Everyone else who got one loves it. I have to hit up a large field w/o trees in the background tomorrow to feel it out more. 2 flights in a tight field only was an appetizer. Thanks for your knowledgeable input as always Tim!
-Jay
Old 10-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My comfort field on the side of a long hill/ridge. I was concerned about this before I bought the unit, but I thought that at 50', maybe the senser see over the crest of the hill. False.. The perceived horizon is about 20 decrees which causes the heli to self level about 20 degrees off true level.

I had installed the CP + HD on my 450x practice machine. I must be a poor judge of height because based on the HD, my normal 450 flying is rarely above 50'.

Not giving up yet.

My solution is put the CP + HD on a big heli which at 50 feet will not look like a mcpx. Since I only fly the big heli at the club field, I wont have a sloped horizon to deal with.

My 450x practice machine gets a HC3SX
Old 10-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by distructor View Post
My comfort field on the side of a long hill/ridge. I was concerned about this before I bought the unit, but I thought that at 50', maybe the senser see over the crest of the hill. False.. The perceived horizon is about 20 decrees which causes the heli to self level about 20 degrees off true level.

I had installed the CP + HD on my 450x practice machine. I must be a poor judge of height because based on the HD, my normal 450 flying is rarely above 50'.

Not giving up yet.

My solution is put the CP + HD on a big heli which at 50 feet will not look like a mcpx. Since I only fly the big heli at the club field, I wont have a sloped horizon to deal with.

My 450x practice machine gets a HC3SX
Hey man.

Curious. Does the HC3sx give pitch in collective when it recovers? I have not seen one person badmouth this unit yet, literally. The FBL controller in this unit is solid? I had the sk-720 which I could not tune for the life of me.
Am i missing out on something here? lol
Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey man.

Curious. Does the HC3sx give pitch in collective when it recovers? I have not seen one person badmouth this unit yet, literally. The FBL controller in this unit is solid? I had the sk-720 which I could not tune for the life of me.
Am i missing out on something here? lol
Yes the HC3SX does give collective on recovery. More then that I can't tell you till I actually get it (Monday). It will take some practice to remember to hit the switch because my tendency is to fight the heli to the ground. That is the advantage of CP2+HD.

Please don't take my comments about the CP2+HD wrong. It does work, and for most flying fields and on larger helis will likely be what people need to get past their particular learning hurdle.

Crash expert.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by distructor View Post
Yes the HC3SX does give collective on recovery. More then that I can't tell you till I actually get it (Monday). It will take some practice to remember to hit the switch because my tendency is to fight the heli to the ground. That is the advantage of CP2+HD.

Please don't take my comments about the CP2+HD wrong. It does work, and for most flying fields and on larger helis will likely be what people need to get past their particular learning hurdle.

Crash expert.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, not taking any comments the wrong way. And your right, you DEF need a large flying field to use it. A large heli never hurts either, especially since the deck is 50'
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How far is 50':

Quote:
Oh, not taking any comments the wrong way. And your right, you DEF need a large flying field to use it. A large heli never hurts either, especially since the deck is 50'
50' is the distance across a basket ball court. If you are standing on one end of a basket ball court and flying on the other end of the court, that would be equivalent of flying between 50' and 100'. 12" is 12", whether measured horizontal or vertical.
PowerLab 8
jdd1 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pop-ups:

Quote:
One really un-easy feeling I got w/ hard deck is I think at one point on the 2nd flight I was trying to feel out where the deck is. I got it to come in at a sharp angle and it kicked in. After that, I think I may have been trying to feel out the HD height and I must have got in the 50' zone at too sharp of an angle. It suddenly gave it like 3-4 super quick cyclic pop-ups. Its like it was in and out and was ER'ing repeatedly for a moment.

Hi SkyQuest,

You said "It suddenly gave it like 3-4 super quick cyclic pop-ups. Its like it was in and out and was ER'ing repeatedly for a moment."

The reoccurring ER triggering at the HD you mention usually happens when the ER ends just over the HD. The helicopter may be at that time over 20 degrees from level and if the collective pitch you are currently giving at that time is less than that needed to maintain a hover or to cause the helicopter to continue to climb then the helicopter will drop back into the HD again and again triggering the ER more than once.

The positive side of this is, you know exactly where the HD is and the HD is working. The down side is, it doesn't look all that graceful and a little annoying.

However, if you have given sufficient collective pitch to cause the helicopter to continue to ascend above the HD then you will only experience one ER. Usually 7 or 8 degrees positive collective is adequate.

Hope these thoughts and suggestions help,
PowerLab 8
jdd1 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd1 View Post
Hi SkyQuest,

You said "It suddenly gave it like 3-4 super quick cyclic pop-ups. Its like it was in and out and was ER'ing repeatedly for a moment."

The reoccurring ER triggering at the HD you mention usually happens when the ER ends just over the HD. The helicopter may be at that time over 20 degrees from level and if the collective pitch you are currently giving at that time is less than that needed to maintain a hover or to cause the helicopter to continue to climb then the helicopter will drop back into the HD again and again triggering the ER more than once.

The positive side of this is, you know exactly where the HD is and the HD is working. The down side is, it doesn't look all that graceful and a little annoying.

However, if you have given sufficient collective pitch to cause the helicopter to continue to ascend above the HD then you will only experience one ER. Usually 7 or 8 degrees positive collective is adequate.

Hope these thoughts and suggestions help,
Hey Jack!
I think I get it. I didn't realize that after an ER at the HD line it will bring the heli down to the hard deck if off by 20* or more if I'm giving it too much positive pitch. It does it really fast...freaked me out a little. I had to turn it off to make it stop so i could get my head clear. At first, I thought it maintained the HD w/ in a 1' margin...its more like a 10' margin.
The field I fly in is about the length of a football field surrounded by trees. SO, this is not where I can use the HD. I can use bail out, but not HD. I'm going to have to search for a large field to use this effectively.
7-8* of pitch after a recovery is about the 1st or 2nd line on the tx I think...
I still wish a light or something would be the visual indicator letting one know if they're in, at or above the HD...but like I said before, if it's a 10' margin at the deck line, the light would go on/off probably over and over rapidly, in-accurately. I'll get it. I honestly wish you guys were close so I can go w/ you guys to demonstrate it. It's always easier in person, but you have helped me and educated me about this so well that I'll get it. It's sort of nerve racking getting the feel of the HD, but I'll get it. Thanks for being there each and every time I have a question man!! (You, Tim and Howie of course.)
-Jay
Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default Red Bull Space Jump is happening NOW!

Not to be off topic but turn on Discovery channel right now! The Red Bull space jump is in progress and he's at about 70,000 feet! Once he hits 120,000 feet, he jumps. He is supposed reach mach 1.3 on his body!!!
Or, watch it live here: http://win.gs/stratoslive

Sooo cool!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did I read in here somewhere the latest HD software made the bailout auto climb now or was that only using the Harddeck? I fly at a similar field banked by trees everywhere, envious of big open fields to play in.
Sambuka is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambuka View Post
Did I read in here somewhere the latest HD software made the bailout auto climb now or was that only using the Harddeck? I fly at a similar field banked by trees everywhere, envious of big open fields to play in.
I know it gives up to 8* of collective during ER now. Yep, it only does this w/ Hard Deck installed. It (I think) climbs to the hard deck if below it very slowly...not sure that I feel this occurring, but it probably is...U can over-ride it pretty easilly if it does do this so, thats why I'm not sure.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool they've added some auto climb on normal bailout below the Harddeck.
Sambuka is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambuka View Post
Cool they've added some auto climb on normal bailout below the Harddeck.
Well, like I said, I truly am not sure I feel it gently 'auto climbing', but it sure ass hell gives it SUPER FAST collective as well as levelization when the ER kicks in...freaked me out at first. Ive only had 2 flights as I just started a new job and the 'being the new guy' has had me stressed out to the point where I dont really want to do anything at all. Hope this anxiety crap goes away before daylight savings time
Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ok. I finally got another couple of more flights in. It wasn't in a very large field like I wanted, but I got a better feel for the deck.
I love it. It works really well...you just have to get used to the heli veering in the inertial direction of travel. That was a little tricky in the different baseball field due to the stadium lights I had to watch for. Still, I have not made any heli go upside down, but I sure did put it at 90* and just put the collective at 0* pitch. Wap, the ER kicks right in.
The one thing I dont like is when flying below the deck and flipping the on / off switch to on, it ER auto-levels but it shoots up to the hard deck...I wanted it to just level w/ maybe a little collective. I guess this is not changeable?
Regardless, it flys INDEED as advertised. But, you DEFINETLY need a huge, wide open field to give it the real test. One thing I didnt realize I would experience is how to react after an ER w/ my rudder. I almost hit a light pole the one time, but thats why I say use a large, clear open, FLAT area.
I still want a lower deck height! Not much! Just 35-40 feet will be fine! 50' is like, the top of a telephone poll. Its juuuust a little above my comfort zone. I already understand why this was not allowed though. (How about a custom FW version just for little ol' me? LoL!) I'd do it even knowing the heli can't recover IF i came in WAAAY too fast.

Ohyea.... YEP, I now felt the HD slowly climb up to the deckline. I took off, started hovering around the 30' mark and flipped the switch on. W/o moving the collective, it indeed started slowly ascending and stopped at about that 50' mark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in