Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane601 View Post
Update!!! Flybri, I went to the field and my tail is rock solid. I didn't use the spacer's that we're recommended above and it works great. Check the things I mentioned and your tail should be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man! I'll give it a shot and hopefully get the same results as you.
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update time!

I have not put any new parts on the tail yet. How ever I did put my tail hub on my lathe and shaved it down just a hair so the grips would slide out while spinning much smoother.

I left the shims under the balls and the tail was buttery smooth! On my next few flights I was able to raise my gain in the TX a bit which helped with hard punch outs without any tail drift!

But the wag still persists to drive me crazy!

But on a not so good note yesterday I pulled a major no no in the heli word and some how let my heli drift right above my head and then behind me and well BAM down she went tail first!

Luckily no body was hurt! But now I will buy all new tail parts and see if that helps with my wag issue. So we will see!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry that the issue still persists, and to hear about the crack-up, sir.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay so it's been about a month since my poor 550 went into the ground with the problematic tail wag.

Finally got the parts for her about a week ago and put her back together and got her air born. Tail wag was completely gone! Super excited about that!

I of course rebuilt the entire tail making sure all moved freely on every point possible. I then took the new tail grips and as Adam from Prostar recommended I sanded and smoothed the inside of the grips to allow the thrust bearings to move freely without any binding!

Then I took the tail hub and polished it with 2000 grit sand paper to allow the small ID thrust washer to slide smoothly as well!

A lot of work to allow the thrust bearings to do the job they were meant to do but apparently it was worth it because as I said the wag is gone!

I didn't end up needing to shim out the balls everything works great now! Hopefully Compass will get the sticky thrust bearing sorted out so the issue will get resolved!

Thanks everyone for all the input and advise. greatly appreciated !
Old 10-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats! Sometimes you do get out of tolerance parts and you have to do a bit more work to get it flying smoothly. I already know the Compass tails inside out so this is not a big deal for me.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW, that was a lot of work to make a tail steady in a hover. I know that it's an aggrivation, but that is really all it is. The heli will take a pounding in hard moves without breaking a sweat. It's very interesting details though. I might remove mine once it starts snowing here and polish those hubs. Seems I could chuck them in my drill with some rubber wrap to protect the journal area and spin 'er up. I'd think a light sanding with some 800 grit paper would do the job sufficiently.

Hey Ah Clem - you're a KBDD rep...have you flown their 95mm carbon tail blades? The ones with orange on one side, white on the other with KBDD lettering? These
Old 10-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
WOW, that was a lot of work to make a tail steady in a hover. I know that it's an aggrivation, but that is really all it is. The heli will take a pounding in hard moves without breaking a sweat. It's very interesting details though. I might remove mine once it starts snowing here and polish those hubs. Seems I could chuck them in my drill with some rubber wrap to protect the journal area and spin 'er up. I'd think a light sanding with some 800 grit paper would do the job sufficiently.

Hey Ah Clem - you're a KBDD rep...have you flown their 95mm carbon tail blades? The ones with orange on one side, white on the other with KBDD lettering? These
Yep you are correct it is really just an aggravation for sure! But after spending $1600 on the kit and electronics its nice to not have a wag! LOL

And yes it will handle everything I can throw at her which isn't much at this point (but progressing every flight) and she just asks for more.

It fly's so smooth and precise I really am very happy with the 550U. And all the guys at my club who fly helis or not just love the looks and the way it fly's!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

FlyBri3,

Thank you for posting how you solved the issue you were having!

I learned a great deal here!
Old 11-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah Clem is spot on there...much agreed. I learned valuable stuff too. I no time, you will be throwing stuff at that machine you didn't think you would!
Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in China right now and we will make all tails of the different helicopters move smooth and without much friction anymore. So all helicopter kits send out by compass from now will have a nice and smooth operating tail.

We apologise for too hard moving tails in the past,as we tought it is better to size the different points to the individual circumstances like different tenperatures, to get a smooth and slopfree working tail. We now did the decision, that it is better to accept some small slop in some conditions and do not have any slow wagging issues anymore.

If customers keep having a slow wagging it is in 95% of all cases a too high I gain (heading hold gain) for the individual setup. This happens faster with high spinning tails as we have on our helicopters especially in combination with long and aggressive tailblades.

Sebastian Zajonz
Old 11-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Zajonz View Post
I'm in China right now and we will make all tails of the different helicopters move smooth and without much friction anymore. So all helicopter kits send out by compass from now will have a nice and smooth operating tail.

We apologise for too hard moving tails in the past,as we tought it is better to size the different points to the individual circumstances like different tenperatures, to get a smooth and slopfree working tail. We now did the decision, that it is better to accept some small slop in some conditions and do not have any slow wagging issues anymore.

If customers keep having a slow wagging it is in 95% of all cases a too high I gain (heading hold gain) for the individual setup. This happens faster with high spinning tails as we have on our helicopters especially in combination with long and aggressive tailblades.

Sebastian Zajonz
So does this mean that all the new Chronos kits will have a "nice and smooth operating tail" or will future parts be this way?
mc20piece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes he mentioned in the other thread that the chronos will be this way. personally, i liked it better the way it was before where you size the links yourself depending on your climate, but i guess they need to do whats best for the majority that dont think its necessary to have to size links. i hope they arent also refering to the swash links as well. i think having them arrive tight and then size to a perfect fit is an excellent feature. i cant say i agree with the decision, but i guess the squeaky wheel gets the oil. i think a better solution would have been to just include a link sizer in the kits. i really hope this doesnt lead to unnessesary slop in our links.
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn View Post
yes he mentioned in the other thread that the chronos will be this way. personally, i liked it better the way it was before where you size the links yourself depending on your climate, but i guess they need to do whats best for the majority that dont think its necessary to have to size links. i hope they arent also refering to the swash links as well. i think having them arrive tight and then size to a perfect fit is an excellent feature. i cant say i agree with the decision, but i guess the squeaky wheel gets the oil. i think a better solution would have been to just include a link sizer in the kits. i really hope this doesnt lead to unnessesary slop in our links.
Cool story bro
mc20piece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with you Quinn. It is unfortunate, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I haven't gone a few rounds with a sticky Warp tail or two.

Saje Marvin - Citizen 125
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in