Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #41 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericG View Post
I would think that the radio sends a value to the RF module in order to select the frequency. Also over SPI but to another component in the module? (just a wild guess)
Perhaps the frequency table contains ascii strings like "35.140" along with a value that is sent to the RF module. (even a wilder guess :wink
Perhaps it would be doable to place a controller between the radio and the rf module that alters the value sent to the module.

Perhaps it is possible to tune the circuit so that is is 20 KHz off?

I am looking for any hint on how this works...

Thanks
Frederic
Hi Frederic
If you look at the module, I mean at its components, there is not much! It is so simple that I think it has only two purposes: One is to provide the area limitation and frequency band information to the radio. The second is to amplify the RF signal provided by the radio.
Considering your guess the module would have to store all the area and possible frequencies for its band which would prevent from any update in case these frequencies allocation change.
If I am right the radio is doing the main job. But it is just a guess.
MZFAN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 01:45 AM   #42 (permalink)

Thanks for this additional info MZFAN !

I agree, the table is probably not in the module, but in the code of the radio. I was wondering if one could find the table by just browsing the (compiled) transmitter software. However, I suppose hacking the transmitter software can be dangerous and could leave the radio in a state where it does no longer accept new software.

Forgive my ignorance, I have never seen such a module, left alone opened one...
Do you mean that the radio also provides the carrier and that the module performs the FM modulation and amplification? Or do you think that also the modulation is done in the radio?

Thanks,
Frederic
FredericG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 04:27 AM   #43 (permalink)

Frederic,
I think too that hacking the software could be dangerous for the radio but if I was able to do this I would strart with the update files...:wink:
But anyway I would not advise to try this except if you are a professional.
When you open a module there are really few components. I would say it is just an amplifier but I am not sure at all about this.
There was a thread here were people put some shots of their open module but I can't find it...
Old 01-13-2008, 04:37 AM   #44 (permalink)

I have send mine to my futaba local distibutor, i's send back to me in the middle of next week.
At moment of in get it, i opened it and i take some pics and i post them.
I have already open it, inside we have 2 Epoxy card with some component, they are attach together by some pins and on this pin's have a conductor soldened and glued .
Wait for pics
Skymax is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info Skymax. It will be interesting to see which modification they will make to it (software or hardware).
sambogosse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #46 (permalink)

Thanks for the info MZFAN.
Would be cool Skymax if you could post some pics.

Frederic
FredericG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #47 (permalink)

OK,
Here are the pics for a 72 MHz module. You can say by the two red dots over the 72 writting. The eeprom is the component in the middle with the 8 connections.
The white big squares are ajustable component that might be set differently for a 29, 35, 40, 50 or a 72 MHz module...
In any case I doubt you would see any hardware change!
Skymax, I have a doubt! Which module you were speaking of, the new 2.4 GHz one? If so I would be very intrested in some nice pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moduleBoardConnectorFace.jpg
Views:	1192
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	35495   Click image for larger version

Name:	moduleBoardEepromFace.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	35496  
Old 01-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

I have been reading these posts and its way over my head! I know nothing about electronics except "plug this in here and that in there"

But my question is: Has anybody here managed to change the region code on their 12FG?

I need to change mine from Hong Kong to U.K. as I want to use the 2.4 modules which are due in the hobby shops in the next couple days.

I may have admit defeat and send my Tx to Rip off Ripmax to be changed.

Richard
Old 01-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZFAN View Post
OK,
Here are the pics for a 72 MHz module. You can say by the two red dots over the 72 writting. The eeprom is the component in the middle with the 8 connections.
The white big squares are ajustable component that might be set differently for a 29, 35, 40, 50 or a 72 MHz module...
In any case I doubt you would see any hardware change!
Skymax, I have a doubt! Which module you were speaking of, the new 2.4 GHz one? If so I would be very intrested in some nice pictures...
Hi,

I have opened my module of 35Mhz European and it is exactly just as the your module

I think that to change the code of area in the module can be relatively easy but it does not serve by that the area in my radio is fixed

someone knows as changing the code of area in 12FG ?

regards !!!
sinver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

I telephoned Ripmax today and was quoted £45 to change the region code on my 12FG, alot of money for two minutes work?

Richard
Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZFAN View Post
Yes I speak about of the 2.4 module
Skymax is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycop2000 View Post
I telephoned Ripmax today and was quoted £45 to change the region code on my 12FG, alot of money for two minutes work?

Richard
It is too money but the good news is that can be made

now one must to discover as is changed the code of area in the radio !!!

regards !!!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #53 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Don't know about the UK. But the majority of shops here in the US charge at least 1/2 hour labor rate. Some even charge an hour rate. No matter if the job takes 10 seconds or 29 mins.
Labor rates from Radio South here in the USA runs $35 an hour. They charge the rate in 15 min blocks. But I can tell you they are an exception here in the USA. I think Hobby Services gets about $60 an hour and they charge in 1/2 hr blocks.
I would call Ripmax and ask them what there hourly labor rate is and what time blocks they charge in.
The rate they gave you for changing the region code is most likely a flat rate. Since you did not the radio thru them as a distributor for the UK they probably charge more. Robbe/Futaba in Germany charges more for repairs on radios that were not distributed by them also. It is nothing new in the industry.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

I wonder how much extra profit is made by companies who charge a minimum hourly rate for small repairs over the year?

If only somebody could quickly come up with calibration software, just like they did for the 12Z/14MZ.

Richard.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Well I gave in today and sent my 12FGH to Ripmax to get the region code changed so as I can use the 2.4 ghz module.

Does anyone know if the TX module can be region changed as well?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #56 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycop2000 View Post
I wonder how much extra profit is made by companies who charge a minimum hourly rate for small repairs over the year?

If only somebody could quickly come up with calibration software, just like they did for the 12Z/14MZ.

Richard.
Pretty much all companies charge a minimum rate for repairs no matter how long they take. I own and ride a motorcycle also. The local shops charge a 1/2 hour labor rate to just look and inspect the bike. That is $35 where it takes 10 seconds or 29 mins. The shops are not there to lose money, so it is fairly common to charge a minimum rate for small jobs.
The shops have overhead costs when they stick the key in the door every day and unlock it. Utility bills, liability insurance, employees pay. etc. etc.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #57 (permalink)
DDJ

Default EEPROM programmer

Hi MZFAN
Do you know where I can get hold of ready made boards or kits for the programmer ? I looked at the site and downloaded PonyProg but don't see which board is the base board and which is the microwire one. Do I need only the one that's got the wires going into the module ?

Thanks
DDJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #58 (permalink)

Hi DDJ,
There are some commercial eeprom programmer that generally come with their own software. You have to check before buying that they can program a microwire 93C46 or 9346 eeprom.
If you downloaded the file I provided you should have the schematic for a simplified board, combining the base board and the microwire board.
There is nothing much in it but if electronic is not your friend try to find somebody around you who can make the board for you.:wink:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14MZeepromProgrammer.png
Views:	1114
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	35856  
Old 01-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #59 (permalink)

DDJ,

fisicaly in the module the number 5 is GND & the number 8 is +5Vdc, view foto

regards !!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12FG TX module.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	35858  
Old 01-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinver View Post
DDJ,

fisicaly in the module the number 5 is GND & the number 8 is +5Vdc, view foto

regards !!!
Yes it is.:wink:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in